Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What's the dumbest thing you have seen a newbie do?

Forum for kitesurfers
Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What's the dumbest thing you have seen a newbie do?

Postby Bushflyr » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:30 am

Not me but my brother saw 3 tourons trying to launch. One holding the bar booted in, the other two throwing the kite into the air straight up and straight downwind from him. It went about as well as you would expect. Then they tried again roughly 100 feet down the beach.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:49 am

Laughingman wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:46 pm
I saw a guy (who is on this forum) put his fins on backwards... and when I pointed it out he asked me if I was sure....
I saw a girl wrap her lines without the figure 8... warned her what would happen... she didn't believe me
I talked with a girl who had been kiting longer than me and she didn't get why people wore a kite leash...
I see this one all the time on vacation.... first couple of days with NE winds everyone launches the same way, then 3rd day the wind is SE.... sooooo many people are trying to launch the same way as the day before... its fucking priceless
so many more.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfgL8-a ... E9971BDD5E
Kevin Langree on your figure-8 myth :)
I think there's some kind of assumption that the lines twist if you keep winding the same way? Doesn't happen though because neither end rotates.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:20 am

^^You can definitely wind your lines straight if you keep them tight. But if they fall off the bar, as was common back in the old days you were pretty screwed. Figure 8 is "safer". If you drop the lines off the bar for some reason they won't tangle.

Kitehume
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Lake Hume, Australia.
Favorite Beaches: Corona Beach
Isolation Bay
Gear: Oceanrodeo Rise Aluula 12m
Oceanrodeo Roam Aluula 10m
Oceanrodeo Roam Aluula 7m
Oceanrodeo flite 10m
Ocean rodeo flite 14.5m
Shinn king gee 146x46
Shinn monk gold 135x42
Shinn Sunburner 112cm
Armstrong Hs1050

Postby Kitehume » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:50 am

My mate a experienced kiter having a blonde moment.

Laid out two sets of bars and lines. Not knowing which kite he was going to use.
Pumped up his chosen kite. Proceeded to attach three lines from one bar and one line from the other bar.
Using a tethered launch, the kite managed to sit there happily at the the side of the window. He was still not aware of his mistake. Proceeds to launch the kite. Goes directly into a death loop. Gets dragged a bit. But came out unscathed. Idiot.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:35 am

Some years ago, I sold my first kite in very good conditions to a guy. After some times, he came back to me quite upset asking where to connect the front lines since "there wasn't any connector". He thought that the kite was damaged or without the bridles. I had to explain him that the Core XR has two velcros on the central struts where you can fix the bridles pigtails when you're packing up...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:42 am

I put my wetsuit on backwards just this year...first session after 6 months off and I was excited, is my excuse :D

Kinda expect newbies to screw up, but it's always more shocking when those who know better do it, and keep doing it...

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:39 pm

Noobies? Shoot, I got guys in my crew that have been kiting for many years who still can't figure out how to give a decent launch. They'll regularly let go of the kite way too far upwind which can lead to a bad situation and kite tumbling sideways. Give me freaking hot launch any day over this, you kooks! I shouldn't have to tell you where to stand when you launch a kite if you've been kiting for 6 years. :angryfire:

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:18 pm

Thick, that’s you being the kook.
When you get someone to launch you, you don’t make them pick up your kite off ground and walk to “where you think it should launch from”
People do this but it’s retarded.
Get your lines straight, walk to kite, C it up to the side of the window and assess how the wind is right there. If bad wind or wrong place in window, YOU the rider decide and walk kite to a better place. Once YOU can hold your own kite comfortably in a C to the side, at window edge, and wind is stable at the right angle, THEN you hand it to the launcher, who just has to stand there. Go back to your bar, hook in and launch RIGHT AWAY.
Kook problems solved!

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:29 pm

Not kidding: Saw Teenagers with a trainer kite trying to launch the kite upwind from the pilot...
I informed them that perhaps they should get some basic idea first...
Still wouldn't go for lessons. Needles to say they never made it to a four line kite.

Ced

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:56 pm

Trainer kite try to launch upwind? I have seen that attempted with the full thing, and downwind and reverse to the wind. Lines reversed is a favorite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”