Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Epirb? flares? 2 way radio set to maritime channel, cell ph in a waterproof case?

Forum for kitesurfers
plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Epirb? flares? 2 way radio set to maritime channel, cell ph in a waterproof case?

Postby plummet » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:51 pm

In light of Gunnars near death experience.
What is the best notifucation safety device out there?
What do you use? what is the brand? advantages, disadvantages?

Any left field ideas? Carrying flippers? a small electric motor that can power you back if you cant swim?
Is there such a thing as deadman notification device? ie you stop moving so it notifies authorities?

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Re: Epirb? flares? 2 way radio set to maritime channel, cell ph in a waterproof case?

Postby K-Roy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:59 pm

when I go solo with foil, I always take a mobile phone under my vest...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Epirb? flares? 2 way radio set to maritime channel, cell ph in a waterproof case?

Postby edt » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:00 pm

Cell phones often don't have reception even a little bit off shore. EPIRBs are the best but expensive. Fins wouldn't have helped Gunnar. Electric motors get wet. I would go with a whistle. Doesn't need batteries and can be heard a mile away. Jetscream whistle is $2.50. Even if you aren't in trouble and are trying to rescue someone having a jetscream whistle on you is great, because once you reach the victim and determine he or she needs help, you don't have to kite all the way back to the launch, you can immediately start signalling with your whistle. What are the odds that Gunnar bought a whistle after this incident? Pretty good I think.
Last edited by edt on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Has thanked: 0

Postby foilonfoil » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:01 pm

plummet wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Any left field ideas? Carrying flippers? a small electric motor that can power you back if you cant swim?
Is there such a thing as deadman notification device? ie you stop moving so it notifies authorities?
On water emergency communication starts with a marine radio. By law, all vessels will have a marine radio monitoring Ch16, so a hand held marine radio allows you to communicate with harbor patrol, coast guard, or vessels around you. Adding a cell phone is a nice bonus. PLB's and other emergency satellite devices are designed for life and death situation and their activation will bring a massive response. At a minimum, I will carry a marine radio in a radio dry bag when I leave the beach. When I do serious offshore adventures, a small drybag with short swim fins, whistle, strobe, pub, together with my hand held marine radio is not that much to carry.
Last edited by foilonfoil on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:19 pm

The Ocean Signal PLB1 is nice because it's the size of a cell phone.

I have yet to see a VHF that wouldn't be overly annoying to carry (including the water proof bag).

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:30 am

Anyone who has been on this forum or the old flexifoil kite forum for many years(I used to be "kiteing colin" until I could not log in anymore) know that I have used pains wessex personal mini flares, a pack of 9 magnesium red mini rocket flares that give off an ear splitting bang and a bright red rocket flare which flies up to around 100 ft,
this pack of 9 flares is only the size of a big mobile phone and twice the thickness, so very easy to carry under an impact vest,
getting it wet is ok, but for years of use better kept in a pouch or a freezer bag, they have never failed me, as one german windsurfer knows who broke a boom and was out at sea drifting way out on the red sea, and in tenerife a french kitesurfer stuck out at sea with a downed kite that would not relaunch, both were in deep distress and deep trouble, but 3 flares later with 30 seconds gaps between each firing and my wife who is tuned into always listening for the distinctive crack of an exploding flare was on the binoculars and scanning the sea looking for me and any other flares I send up in emergencies, in the uk when a family of 3 were washed out on a rip tide and in a state of panic I used 3 more flares whilst 2 of us started dragging them back in with our kites, the flares alerted the public who called the coast guard who in turn sent a quick response land rover onto the beach to help sort them out, and finally I found out at sea in wales uk a family out water skiing who had hit a sand bank and were stuck, the good old flares never let me down, the skiers did not have any kit with them for this situation.
I tried a mobile phone once out at sea,in a pouch, it sort of worked, but it was just a trial and very frustrating to use as pauline could hardly hear me and I had to guess what she was saying as it was so hard to hear her, and this was on a calm day, another time i tried it there was no signal and I could see the beach where pauline was waiting for my call. however I have not tried a modern phone, I think the one I used was a "mars bar" phone.
after Gunners story I am ordering a new set of mini flares which is not easy as new laws of mailing them have been introduced.
I always carry my knife, upgraded to a propper marine type now I use a foil board and have been wrapped a few times, wear a rugby helmet and an impact vest.and try to get Pauline to the beach every time as safety look out which she does for everyone on the water, always looking out with our high power binoculars.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:46 am

For me, always mobile phone in my vest. It may seem incredible that nobody notice someone who needs help but it happens. First of all, on our lake there's a time of the day, late afternoon, with a particular light condition: you just can see quite nothing at water level until you're very close. Second, the lake is big and there are a lot of schools teaching with boats, so it's very common to see people with their kite in the water unable to relaunch who are just waiting for the boat support. Third, the panorama from the spot is limited to the frontal zone, very very small in comparison to the kite zone that, particulary in case of foil boards, can extend for many kilometers upwind of the launching/landing area. You notice someone in troubles only if he's riding just in front of the beach, elsewhere only a boat or another kiter can help. So a cell phone imo it's mandatory.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:05 am

foilonfoil wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:01 pm
plummet wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:51 pm

On water emergency communication starts with a marine radio. By law, all vessels will have a marine radio monitoring Ch16, so a hand held marine radio allows you to communicate with harbor patrol, coast guard, or vessels around you. Adding a cell phone is a nice bonus. PLB's and other emergency satellite devices are designed for life and death situation and their activation will bring a massive response. At a minimum, I will carry a marine radio in a radio dry bag when I leave the beach. When I do serious offshore adventures, a small drybag with short swim fins, whistle, strobe, pub, together with my hand held marine radio is not that much to carry.
foilonfoil - which marine radio models would you recommend?

I also saw another reason for marine radio over cell phone: "You can only call one person with a cell phone. With a marine radio, you can call everyone in range. Those who hear your signal can home in on your exact location—unlike with a cell phone."

Sandras
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sandras » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:14 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:00 pm
Cell phones often don't have reception even a little bit off shore. EPIRBs are the best but expensive. Fins wouldn't have helped Gunnar. Electric motors get wet. I would go with a whistle. Doesn't need batteries and can be heard a mile away. Jetscream whistle is $2.50. Even if you aren't in trouble and are trying to rescue someone having a jetscream whistle on you is great, because once you reach the victim and determine he or she needs help, you don't have to kite all the way back to the launch, you can immediately start signalling with your whistle. What are the odds that Gunnar bought a whistle after this incident? Pretty good I think.

:thumb:
After watching Gunnars video, I added a whistle in my harness. (best effort to benefit ratio)

RagingGrandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Style: TT, HF, SB, snow, ice
Gear: nothing special

Non-emergency recovery options for offshore foil touring

Postby RagingGrandpa » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:39 pm

"Don't go out further than you can swim back" is a dying concept in the age of the hydrofoil. And the buddy system is not especially helpful either... if the wind dies, your buddy is floating there with you; if your gear breaks, he can only help by returning to shore and requesting 3rd-party assistance.

I have ambitions to use the HF in the same way as a non-motorized sailboat, on our local big body of water, Lake St Clair. A direct crossing is 5 miles or more.

I've been searching the forum- folks seem to be doing this kind of foil touring, but I didn't find a thread specifically for the topic of non-emergency recovery.

With a sailboat, plan B on my lake is phone for a tow, with marine VHF as a helping hand once they dispatch a motorboat. With kiting, the cell phone call part of this process is difficult if you're just floating in open water- even with a phone in a drybag, placing a call with adequate audio to transact business is iffy.

I have a marine VHF HT and am happy to carry it... its audio works better than a cellphone if you're swimming, but a 5W transmitter is unlikely to reach the tow service dock from all points in my kite route, and hailing other pleasure boaters begging favors for my non-emergency becalmed situation isn't very responsible.

Has anyone experienced a better solution?

Thx

Return to “Kitesurfing”