Rare Poster
Kiting since: 3
Local Beach: Dublin
Gear: Best, Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Cabrinha delamination

Postby hughsheehy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi folks

Anyone got any experience repairing a delaminated board? My much-loved and well looked after Cabrinha just ripped loose a couple of weeks ago. Hoping to put it back together in a usable state.

Rest of board seems fine, but this section just completely let go. All of a sudden too - no provocation.

No reason is apparent.

Lots of pics here. https://photos.app.goo.gl/1VzDPWzPF0xlJp1k1

H

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: Cabrinha delamination

Postby Matteo V » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:39 pm

hughsheehy wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:07 pm
No reason is apparent.

Lots of pics here. https://photos.app.goo.gl/1VzDPWzPF0xlJp1k1
If only one tip, then likely a glue/layup issue. How many hours and nicks in the board? Nicks could have let water in an reduced the holding capacity of the wood core.

hughsheehy
Rare Poster

Postby hughsheehy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:51 pm

No...no damage on the tip. None that can be seen, anyway. And always stored indoors, so not permanently damp. Moderate hours of use too, me having a job and kids and all.

My bet is bad layup. I've got a 25 year old windsurf hull that wouldn't fail (hasn't failed) like that. And a 40year old foam sandwich dinghy where you'd have to chisel the layers off. But Cabrinha say it's out of warranty. (which it is)

H

Hugh2
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, Cape Town, Mokuleia
Style: allsorts
Gear: Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7 and 9, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16m
Long Ocean 136 and 140, Cyclone 150, Cape Doctor "hybrid", Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0"

Postby Hugh2 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:55 pm

I used epoxy to glue a board like that back together, but added a couple small bolts for good measure. It's held for years since.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:55 pm

Cabrinha boards are sort of notorious for delaminating, they had issues with the customs for years.

You could probably epoxy it back together and have no problems as long as you get it watertight.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:33 pm

dylan* wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:55 pm
Cabrinha boards are sort of notorious for delaminating, they had issues with the customs for years.

You could probably epoxy it back together and have no problems as long as you get it watertight.
As long as it's all completely dry of course.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:34 am

If the board still does, or may contain water, use West System "G-flex" epoxy. It has a lower strength, but is tougher (to impact) and can actually be used underwater.

I think you could actually substitute G-flex for ABS or poured polyurethane rails on a custom build TT. Not that I have tried that, though.

The only bad thing about G-flex is that is is pretty poor in abrasion, even if hard fillers are used.

hughsheehy
Rare Poster

Postby hughsheehy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:56 am

dylan* wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:55 pm

Sad to hear that. I have another Cabrinha board (a stylus), which I really like. Not happy about the idea of that falling apart in a couple of years.

Several locals here have told me the same thing, all with a resigned tone...that "Yeah, they had a Cabrinha board that delaminated too".

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:14 pm

If you don't have access to a vacuum bag you could just place shopping bags or garbage bags full of sand on top of the board while the resin cures. Pressure helps make a stronger bond. You nay need to put some additional sandbags or other items under the board to make sure the rocker does not change under the weight of the top bags while curing.

hughsheehy
Rare Poster

Postby hughsheehy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:55 pm

A local surfboard repairer is gonna have a go. With vacuum bags.

I'd thought of trying the method with weight, and using another similar board as a template, but in the end decided I was still too likely to make a god-awful mess and end up with me and half the house covered in epoxy. You can imagine the discussion with the missus afterwards :argue: She also kites, but still.

Meantime he had a detailed look and reckoned there was no damage to cause delamination, just a bad quality layup. His own kiteboard is beat up to all hell on the tip, quite a bit older than mine, but isn't Cabrinha and has no sign of delamination.

Return to “Kitesurfing”