SigSavage
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Best
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite Suggestions using pre-existing control bars

Postby SigSavage » Tue May 08, 2018 9:45 pm

I am wondering if I could get some advice as to how I might add a mid-size kite (12m) to my quiver. I am a relative beginner to the sport, so am looking for a bow- type kite. Something of the Cabrinha Switchblade type.

I currently have a 2014 Cab Contra 17m that came with the Overdrive 1XL bar. I also have a 2015 Best Kahoona 9.5m that came with the RP V5 bar. I figure I can use either one for a 12m kite (with the 1XL set to its small size).

So I am wondering what kites these bars are future compatible with from their own and different manufacturers. I have been told to be very careful about mixing companies for bars and kites, especially new/old combinations. Now that kites never come with bars, I’d like to get an idea on what I should watch out for on EBay. I’m thinking of kites in the 2014-2017 range due to high costs of new kites. Switchblades of that era don’t come up very often or seem overpriced. Kahoonas don’t exist any more and any I’ve seen of old stock are small ones. So I’m wondering about equivalents from other brands that I could use my bars with.

Thanks for input!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Re: Kite Suggestions using pre-existing control bars

Postby foilholio » Tue May 08, 2018 10:05 pm

You shouldn't use a different brand bar with a different brand kite. The bars have special sensing technology that can read the Brand name or logo of the kite and suddenly stop working. This is very dangerous and why the reseller told you not to do it.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue May 08, 2018 10:19 pm

Although I have to credit foilholio with an outstanding idea (some big kite brand will patent it soon, and I hope he gets a royalty), he and the person that advised you not to mix bars and kites of different manufacturers are just jerking your chain. You can use your bars with most any four line, late model bow kite.

SigSavage
Rare Poster

Postby SigSavage » Tue May 08, 2018 11:55 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:19 pm
Although I have to credit foilholio with an outstanding idea (some big kite brand will patent it soon, and I hope he gets a royalty), he and the person that advised you not to mix bars and kites of different manufacturers are just jerking your chain. You can use your bars with most any four line, late model bow kite.
The recommendation was based on the line a kite flagged on when using the safety release, and that some kites flag on different lines and if a bar didn’t flag on the appropriate line it could be dangerous. This was coming from a school owner/instructor.

I’m happy to know that 4 line kites haven’t changed to the degree I cannot use these bars. I just sold my Chaos 13 that used the IDS bar and it was an odd setup IMO. I would not use that bar on a newer kite.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Wed May 09, 2018 12:05 am

There are slight design differences in bars you need to be aware of such as long/short throw, long/short depower, high/low V. Single Line Flag vs Dual Line Flag. The 2014 Cabrinha Bar is a so so single line flag bar. I'm not fussed about Cabrnha bars in general but yours should be ok with this bar on another 4 line kite.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed May 09, 2018 12:23 am

SigSavage wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:45 pm
I am wondering if I could get some advice as to how I might add a mid-size kite (12m) to my quiver. I am a relative beginner to the sport, so am looking for a bow- type kite. Something of the Cabrinha Switchblade type.

Your Best Kahoona RP V5 bar will work with pretty much any kite made after 2008.
Note that if you buy Naish or Ozone they have “reversed” pigtails (kite has knots on front line bridle and loops on the steering line bridle) but that could be easily reversed using pigtails. Your RP bar doesn’t have pigtails (they’re built-in) and I’d leave it that way.

Check your PM

SigSavage
Rare Poster

Postby SigSavage » Wed May 09, 2018 3:25 am

grigorib wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:23 am
SigSavage wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:45 pm

Your Best Kahoona RP V5 bar will work with pretty much any kite made after 2008.
Note that if you buy Naish or Ozone they have “reversed” pigtails (kite has knots on front line bridle and loops on the steering line bridle) but that could be easily reversed using pigtails. Your RP bar doesn’t have pigtails (they’re built-in) and I’d leave it that way.

Check your PM
Good tips- thanks!

Return to “Kitesurfing”