How hard?

Forum for kitesurfers
alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands
Brand Affiliation: None

How hard?

Postby alford » Wed May 09, 2018 4:05 am

Is there a universal way to know how much air to put into a kite? Not taking about trusting a $1.00 pump gauge or the finger flick to leading edge (too subjective for my liking). Rather a sure fire method for evaluating no matter the brand, to at very least get you reasonably close.
I believe I tend to overinflate judging how other kites feel when helping with a launch or landing.
Thanks.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: How hard?

Postby tautologies » Wed May 09, 2018 4:13 am

alford wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:05 am
Is there a universal way to know how much air to put into a kite? Not taking about trusting a $1.00 pump gauge or the finger flick to leading edge (too subjective for my liking). Rather a sure fire method for evaluating no matter the brand, to at very least get you reasonably close.
I believe I tend to overinflate judging how other kites feel when helping with a launch or landing.
Thanks.
Better to overinflate than under-inflate. The thinner the leading edge the more pressure it needs...problem is of course you might be able to feel the difference. I usually pump to about 9 psi or so on my $1 gauge. Then I give it a flick with my finger. Seems to work.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Wed May 09, 2018 4:23 am

Very funny, but that's the kind of method I'm trying to get away from. Put another 10 pumps in and the flick sounds even better, but which one is better for the kite? Too subjective and prone to too much variance day to day.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed May 09, 2018 4:31 am

alford wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:23 am
Very funny, but that's the kind of method I'm trying to get away from. Put another 10 pumps in and the flick sounds even better, but which one is better for the kite? Too subjective and prone to too much variance day to day.
Yeah I agree. I do wish I would trust the gauge. It is the only way we can really figure it out. That said, I just have never really had any problems with it. So it would seem to me it is kind of looking for a solution to a non-existing problem.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed May 09, 2018 4:50 am

Like you said, there's a finger test you flick your finger at the tube and listen for the "ping" if it rings like a drum you have enough air. You stop there. Don't keep pumping for a "better" ping, you want to hear it go from "thunk" to "ping" and then stop. Notice that this sort of test actually kind of measures "hoop pressure". What this means is that a larger diameter kite needs less air pressure in order for it to be very firm but a smaller kite needs to be pumped up harder.

look at the video right around 2:50 that's where he does the ping test. If you don't like the ping test he also does a good test around 4 minutes in where he shows how much the kite should fold on the wingtips. You can also buy a better gauge.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Wed May 09, 2018 6:43 am

Trust the ping, it works. If you're completely tone deaf just buy a pump with a better gauge.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Wed May 09, 2018 8:47 am

pressure gauges are one of the most reliable readings you get so whether it cost $1 or $1000 it will give you good indication. I have pump with gauge with "green" and "red" indication. Unfortunately it doesn't say actual pressure but my rule of thumb is to pump largest kite to just when gauge meet green and the smaller kite the more pressure.
With having too low pressure in tubes you can have problem relunching kite from water because it loses it shape and during jumps if it loses shape could be dangerous.
I preffer to have too much pressure that too little. Kite bladders will be designed to handle much higher pressure than you can put in anyway.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:52 am

Never really had a problem using a gauge. Just need to remember the approx pressure for each kite and when it gets close on the gauge, just give it a quick squeeze or two to check.
My own preference is probably on the high side.
I tend to leave it short of a few strokes if its a hot day, we don't have too many of those.
I have also felt the effect when it has hit cold water on a warm day too.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed May 09, 2018 11:59 am

I think your trying to engineer out a problem that doesnt exist. I too have a pump gauge that just has green and red marks on it!. I pump to the green and then do a ping test. It works and i have never blown up a kite due to over inflation or underinflated a kite.

Its not rocket surgery. The bladders dont need to be precisely pumped to an exacting pressure. Pump it to thud becomes ping then ride.

Side not ping test is actually pretty good. It account for bladder size changes. IE double the od of the bladder halve the pressure required. The ping test lets you know this as big bladders ping at a lower psi than smaller bladders.

Double side note. If you still need to confirm with a pressure rating buy a digital pressure gauge and install it in line.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed May 09, 2018 12:12 pm

Bushflyr wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 6:43 am
Trust the ping, it works. If you're completely tone deaf just buy a pump with a better gauge.
Agreed.

Simply use a pump with a pressure gauge and when the gauge indicates the desired pressure do a 'ping' to provide aural confirmation.

If you can't manage that then get rid of your kites because you're too stupid to use them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”