Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Forum for kitesurfers
wedge
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby wedge » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:11 am

blahblahblahblah TRUMP
blahblahblahblah COAL
blahblahblahblah FAKE SCIENCE
blahblahblahblah GERMANY RENEWABLES
blahblahblahblah LINK TO FRINGY WEBSITE NO ONE EVER READS
blahblahblahblah LIBTARDS :rollgrin:
blahblahblahblah I'M FRICKIN' AWESOME!
blahblahblahblah HYPER-SPECIFIC GRAPH THAT IGNORES THE BIG PICTURE
blahblahblahblah MY KICKASS POLLUTING ENERGY STOCKS :rollgrin:
blahblahblahblah I WIN I WIN I WIN
blahblahblahblah EUROPE BAD TRUMP GOOD
blahblahblahblah BOOOO GLOBALIZATION
blahblahblahblah SNOWFLAKES :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:

blahblahblahblah PEPE THE FROG MEME

Love, Marlborough

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:30 pm

This where climate change belongs, together with all other pseudo science and political activism: gender equality, empowerment of women, intergenerational equity, climate justice, misogyny, social injustice, etc.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-ch ... 1528152876

This is why, I am for legalizing all drugs. You don't need to spend 40+ billion dollars to feel good, just take something, anything, and the rest of us can solve some real problems.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:46 pm

Greenturtle wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:38 am
The nitty gritty details can be debated till the end of time. The big picture is plain to see.
You are definitely not a scientist! No way would a honest and conscientious scientist ever agree with these statements. The smallest of details often modify the big picture in the biggest of ways. M&M has said lots of dumb stuff and lots of smart stuff in a dumb way, but this one is the one that pretty much no one caught, and I could not let it go without calling you out on it, so you get the award for most infamous quote of the thread, not M&M.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Greenturtle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks!
Yes not a scientist. But I don't need to be to know that human activity can and does change the makeup of the atmosphere!
I also live surrounded by coal mines and natural gas wells. I dont need to be a scientist to see with my own two eyes every single day the extreme and irreversible damage those activities create on the immediate environment surrounding them, (let alone burning it all), even though the scientists can somehow even debate that! There is no need to convince me, I can see that aspect of it in real life in real time.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:22 pm

Chew on this one a little bit.
The oceans have 99.9% of the earths thermal energy, So how is a source .07% ( air) which only has .04% of co2 forcing the oceans to warm? On the top of that the AGW theory states that the heat should be getting trapped in the troposphere first. We send the satellite there which didn't find it to be the case. So how the hell the heat got into the Oceans lately giving us crazy El Ninos? What was the source in your view?

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Greenturtle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:48 pm

In case anyone is interested, a coal mine is not a hole in the ground. It starts out as a thickly forested oxygen producing mountain. A few months and a hell of a lot of deisel exaust later, the mountain is gone! Poof! Its like magic! What is left, is a barron wasteland of highly acidic soil, that maybe, if we are lucky, gets replanted with non-native pine seedlings that, at best, struggle to grow an inch in 20 years. Or they just die.
Then all the coal recovered from the project gets shipped to china and burned, releasing its highly toxic cocktail into the atmosphere for the entire planet to enjoy.
Disclaimer- None of this statement is scientific at all.
I just live in the middle of it. So clearly I have no idea what the actual science is behind it. Im sure the regulations are good enough if its been approved by the government and its “scientists”.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:34 pm
Reel it back in M&M. You have some great points, but this is what I was talking about. A troll following another troll into the gutter is not something that gives credibility to any argument. And yes, sometimes I have to take my own advice.

Hey Matteo. You are asking for scientists. I am one (even if I am not a climatologist). I can tell you there is nothing in MM' rhetoric that makes the slightest sense if you understand pretty much anything about science simply because it is just repeating already falsified theories made by mostly hacks. It is akin to the congressional representative who said ocean levels rise is due to rocks falling into the ocean or the ice sheets are growing despite satellite records to the contrary.

To me he is a parody of the stereotypical ultra right wing dumb-ass that just mouths fox news noise with no common or critical sense. I cannot think of anything he has ever said that was correct. He obviously is not worth responding to, as there is no real debate with him. It is just a unbridled stream of conspiracy videos.
He throws about insults left and right, but cannot handle insults back. He sends out arguments that ranges from silly to dumb, but never responds to feedback or questions. At the end of the day he is a noise machine that, to me, has no positive impact on a conversation.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Greenturtle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:35 pm

If science is based on repeatable results, then we should already know that any claims made by fossil fuel energy companies about their environmental impacts are complete bull and the opposite is likely closer to the truth.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:14 pm

tautologies wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:56 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:34 pm
Reel it back in M&M. You have some great points, but this is what I was talking about. A troll following another troll into the gutter is not something that gives credibility to any argument. And yes, sometimes I have to take my own advice.

Hey Matteo. You are asking for scientists. I am one (even if I am not a climatologist). I can tell you there is nothing in MM' rhetoric that makes the slightest sense if you understand pretty much anything about science simply because it is just repeating already falsified theories made by mostly hacks. It is akin to the congressional representative who said ocean levels rise is due to rocks falling into the ocean or the ice sheets are growing despite satellite records to the contrary.

To me he is a parody of the stereotypical ultra right wing dumb-ass that just mouths fox news noise with no common or critical sense. I cannot think of anything he has ever said that was correct. He obviously is not worth responding to, as there is no real debate with him. It is just a unbridled stream of conspiracy videos.
He throws about insults left and right, but cannot handle insults back. He sends out arguments that ranges from silly to dumb, but never responds to feedback or questions. At the end of the day he is a noise machine that, to me, has no positive impact on a conversation.

Thank you for responding as it helps to have a scientist's viewpoint. But by you referencing one of my posts, but quoting another of my posts, you are at least confusing, or at most intentionally misdirecting.

Please let me know if, from the view of a scientist (you), my below response to Greenturtle is in error, or if you agree with my statement.
Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:46 pm
Greenturtle wrote:
The nitty gritty details can be debated till the end of time. The big picture is plain to see.
Matteo V wrote: .....No way would a honest and conscientious scientist ever agree with these statements. The smallest of details often modify the big picture in the biggest of ways......
Just a warning, I am looking for your answer as my path to saying "checkmate".

Sandras
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .

Postby Sandras » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:14 pm

Please let me know if, from the view of a scientist (you), my below response to Greenturtle is in error, or if you agree with my statement.
Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:46 pm
Greenturtle wrote:
Matteo V wrote: .....No way would a honest and conscientious scientist ever agree with these statements. The smallest of details often modify the big picture in the biggest of ways......
Just a warning, I am looking for your answer as my path to saying "checkmate".
I can also give you a check as a scientist.

If you logic is that proving Greenturtle wrong, proves the clown right. Than is faulty.
Yes it is unscientific to ignore the details BUT as one of my professors was saying you can understand a clock by analyzing how each little gear and spring work but you can't understand a cloud by cutting it to small pieces and then assembling it together. Reduction does not always work in complex systems. (And no doubt, environment IS a complex system)

Here is an awesome lecture by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_njf8jwEGRo

Return to “Kitesurfing”