Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Forum for kitesurfers
Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby Osprey1 » Sat May 26, 2018 3:48 pm

As a kiter who loves to travel to spots around the world I’m really starting to think about the impact this has on the planet. For example, the amount of carbon produced to fly across the Atlantic is more than my hybrid electric car produces in a year of driving. This can be offset by purchasing habitat to replant 300 trees (approx $500).

Does anyone else take means to offset thier carbon footprint when they fly? Has anyone else decided to fly less to reduce thier carbon footprint?

Are any kite brands taking CO2 offset measures created by the manufacturing and shipping of gear?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby jakemoore » Sat May 26, 2018 4:39 pm

Nope. I’m looking forward to increased biodiversity that would come with a warmer planet. Cold water sucks (heat out of my body). Plus dinosaurs!
Attachments
E13E0FD6-2791-4F49-8293-8E6A6ED5D751.jpeg

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sat May 26, 2018 4:40 pm

I love to travel. Can afford it but I restrict myself as much as I can.

My girlfriend proposes compensation in exchange for willingness to fly more often than once every 2 years but....

The compensation programs of planting trees to compensate for fossil CO2 emissions can IMO only truly compensate fosil if:
A. The carbon captured in the wood is never released (wood burnes or decayes and releases CO2 again). To realize this they could burry the wood deep enough to make contact with oxygen impossible for at least milennia..
B. The plot that gets 300 trees will have trees forever...

Undoubtedly planting trees does good for the world. So please sponsor those programs.
But better also fly at half the frequency and take twice as much time on the destinations....

Or plan a cirumnavigation by sail...

@Jakemoore: Are you American?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat May 26, 2018 5:05 pm

Yes. And I travel 30 minutes or less to kite in this subtropical paradise where I live a mile from work, don’t sit idling my car in traffic, fly relatively little, and love life.

And regarding worries, global warming concerns me less than pretty much any other form of pollution. Certainly less than famine, tyranny, war and excessive taxes.

Also, I believe the shift from fossil fuel will come from economic rather than government forces. Solar and wind are happening now in Texas. I have done a modest amount of electrochemistry and polymer science R&D. Not enough to have the answers but enough to know the progress of science and technology will take time but is inevitable. Batteries are getting better without the governments taxing the working man into poverty.

Convince me the governments US EU Asia all included would take the money and do anything other than build war machines. Convince me that buying a carbon credit or IKO membership will do anything other than enrich a wannabe bureaucrat.

Planting trees and sailing round the world in warm water and dinosaurs all sound awesome to me. But the sad fact for me is that dinosaurs won’t happen in my lifetime, anybody who cares about how the world is today will be gone, and future humans and species will have their own loves and worries that will seem foreign to people from our century.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
jumptheshark (Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:17 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

H2Oaltitude
Rare Poster
Style: freeride, waves and some foiling
Gear: whatever's on sale...
Been thanked: 0

Postby H2Oaltitude » Sat May 26, 2018 6:52 pm

Are you serious?!? :o If you think your $500 "donation" is actually going towards the purchase of a thimble full of dirt somewhere in the world that grows trees to offset your carbon footprint than maybe you'd like to send some cash my way so I can get this bridge resurfaced before I list it for sale.... :rollgrin:
Take the 500 and donate it to a landfill that will "contain" your high-bread batteries when they need to be disposed of.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat May 26, 2018 7:02 pm

if that girl can make you do that, she can make you do anything, and your sporting days are numbered. Get out while you can, before you find yourself washing all the organic nappies in organic soap while she fritters money away on carbon guilt tokens

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Sat May 26, 2018 7:04 pm

You know you could drive across Australia in a diesel truck and have a smaller "carbon footprint" than the batteries in the hybrid car has from the lithium mining alone.

uncool
Rare Poster

Postby uncool » Sat May 26, 2018 7:15 pm

BWD wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:02 pm
organic nappies
LOLOLOL! Maybe this will help:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/192479004/ ... s-reusable
Attachments
il_570xN.678937157_pgds.jpg
il_570xN.678937157_pgds.jpg (61.09 KiB) Viewed 7099 times

uncool
Rare Poster

Postby uncool » Sat May 26, 2018 7:18 pm

8436484708ae693a8d81990213257e0d.jpg
8436484708ae693a8d81990213257e0d.jpg (61.71 KiB) Viewed 7026 times

uncool
Rare Poster

Postby uncool » Sat May 26, 2018 7:23 pm

rogue_kiteboarder wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:04 pm
You know you could drive across Australia in a diesel truck and have a smaller "carbon footprint" than the batteries in the hybrid car has from the lithium mining alone.
Oh, but the opportunity to Prius along in the fast lane is the national pastime in Seattle. So worth the strip-mine.

Return to “Kitesurfing”