Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Forum for kitesurfers
chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East
Has thanked: 0

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby chemosavi » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:33 pm

Chief LongCloud say,
He who look in mirror and write same time
Also gargle old puke and write it too.
Not to name names but there's a lotta M and M's being digested.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:17 am

Pemba wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:32 pm
marlboroughman wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:07 pm
Pemba wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:57 pm
And your point is ?
You are wasting our time and money, Johnny Fake Dogooder and the jig is up.
Thats not really an answer to my question. Fake ? Do you know me ? You've seen through me and the jig is up ? Anyway, I don't want to waste anybodies time and money and I admit I haven't really made any points myself, I was just interested, but I'll just read on then.
Don't take it personally. I hate wasting time, so I use short paintings.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:01 am

I am still waiting for someone to point me, to a study published in a scientific journal, I don't care the ratings a,b,c or even d, let me be the judge, showing the mechanism of CO2 transferring the energy into the Oceans, because this is where the action is. My interest in it is not political nor ideological but purely financial. We just entered an era of no growth globally so for me the future of Climate is the key to the future. Based on the studies I have actually read, I am 90% certain of what I am doing but if you ever come across of what I'm looking for, shoot.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby lewmt » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:53 pm

Pemba wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:04 pm
lewmt wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 pm
Regardless of which side of this debate you come down on - purchasing carbon credits is padding the pockets of scam artists be they government type or some private collusive entity. If you want to truly believe the AGW science the best you can do is live your life without carbon....to the greatest extent possible. Live without heat or air conditioning. Wash clothes in a stream without chemicals, don't travel unless by foot or bicycle. Don't purchase or use any plastic. Only heat your water with solar or wind energy. Cook your meals with some sort of solar or wind driven apparatus. The list goes on. You probably shouldn't kite at all - Think of the CO2 dispensed to create canopy fabrics, think of the myriad plastics and chemicals used to make boards. You become the catalyst for the problem just the same as Exxon or Schlumberge or Peabody Mining because you always willingly buy what they sell, just as illicit drugs could never be a problem if no one purchases them. Buying all of the products and mechanisms to cause climate change makes you the hypocrite even if you buy carbon credits.
Unless you live your life completely "without carbon" but try to reduce that carbon footprint or live in a more environmentally friendly way, you're a hypocrite because there's still more you could be doing ? Surely it's better to do something and hope that others do as well rather than do nothing ?
Yes but if you are traveling far distances to kite, buying new kite gear, drive a diesel anything, running your air conditioner or your heat without CO2 involved, you are being pretty hypocritical if you then demand others live a certain way. If you live as an example to others, & show the rest how your way is substantially better, without demanding others live that way - specifically that's fine. Most, however, seem to desire to place blame & burden on others while doing tidbits to reduce their "footprint" which I find as disgusting as anything in this debate.

My main point though was the carbon credits - if you think they are being used for any purpose which will ever help the global environment in any impactful way you are a dupe. You are simply padding the pockets of elites jetting off to Davos or yachting to Monaco.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:39 pm

Agree

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:26 am

No idea about the carbon credits but I agree about the rest.

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada
Been thanked: 0

Postby JustAGirl » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:26 pm

We need to get away from oil; it’s dirty, literally & morally: it empowered the wrong corner of the world... I don’t think carbon credits will help. I don’t think anything an individual can do will help. EU regulations are in bed with oil; all pure rhetoric forcing ppl to buy more of the wrong kind of technology. My bet is on e-energy & nuclear, but both are being actively undermined by powerful interests. We have the technology, but oil is too big ... It might take a War to defeat them. It ain’t good. Look at the way they are sabotaging Tesla, the only company working on a powerful e-engine. Why isn’t Boeing investing in research? Bc they are in bed with oil. Sick! I dunno, I hate oil but feel pretty powerless... Anything you do ends up working for oil: it’s a very sick system, catch 22: don’t consume oil, but in order not to consume it, you have to consume it... sick shit...

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:53 pm

JustAGirl wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:26 pm
...EU regulations are in bed with oil...
...Why isn’t Boeing investing in research? Bc they are in bed with oil...
hmm, major adult videos webservices doesn't return anything significant for "EU oil" or "Boeing oil" keyword search....

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:37 pm

grigorib wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:53 pm
hmm, major adult videos webservices doesn't return anything significant for "EU oil" or "Boeing oil" keyword search....
Nope, that subject is too controversial for the mainstream media. But it is there, and you can see it between the lines, if you can think for yourself.

Population reduction, happening naturally in the EU with native Europeans, has the potential to DESTROY demand for energy and oil. Couple that with environmental initiatives, and support of the native population for even more reduction in energy consumption, and you have the perfect storm ready to hit big oil (energy) interests.

So what can big oil do? Find a way to increase the population of Europe by supporting politicians and policies that will DEFINITELY increase the population. As a bonus, if you can import a people with an ideology CONTRARY to pretty much all environmentalism (and population reduction), the oil companies can be guaranteed huge potential growth in the future as the population increases and environmental concerns are washed away by a changing demographic.

Hats off to the European people for actually stumbling upon a solution to the "anthropogenic side" of climate change. Too bad that their governments and media are working hard to undo that solution.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:43 pm

JustAGirl wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:26 pm
We need to get away from oil; it’s dirty, literally & morally: it empowered the wrong corner of the world... I don’t think carbon credits will help. I don’t think anything an individual can do will help. EU regulations are in bed with oil; all pure rhetoric forcing ppl to buy more of the wrong kind of technology. My bet is on e-energy & nuclear, but both are being actively undermined by powerful interests. We have the technology, but oil is too big ... It might take a War to defeat them. It ain’t good. Look at the way they are sabotaging Tesla, the only company working on a powerful e-engine. Why isn’t Boeing investing in research? Bc they are in bed with oil. Sick! I dunno, I hate oil but feel pretty powerless... Anything you do ends up working for oil: it’s a very sick system, catch 22: don’t consume oil, but in order not to consume it, you have to consume it... sick shit...
Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:37 pm
grigorib wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:53 pm
Nope, that subject is too controversial for the mainstream media. But it is there, and you can see it between the lines, if you can think for yourself.

Population reduction, happening naturally in the EU with native Europeans, has the potential to DESTROY demand for energy and oil. Couple that with environmental initiatives, and support of the native population for even more reduction in energy consumption, and you have the perfect storm ready to hit big oil (energy) interests.

So what can big oil do? Find a way to increase the population of Europe by supporting politicians and policies that will DEFINITELY increase the population. As a bonus, if you can import a people with an ideology CONTRARY to pretty much all environmentalism (and population reduction), the oil companies can be guaranteed huge potential growth in the future as the population increases and environmental concerns are washed away by a changing demographic.

Hats off to the European people for actually stumbling upon a solution to the "anthropogenic side" of climate change. Too bad that their governments and media are working hard to undo that solution.
Oooh, gotta love the above assortment of conspiracy theories. lol

Return to “Kitesurfing”