Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

forum for kitesurfers


loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 726
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2002 1:00 am

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby loco4viento » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:30 am

There can be a huge difference between what I might like to believe (because it might make me feel good about myself) and what I should believe (because it’s supported by actual evidence or rational thought processes).

There are many things I wish would be true (using feelings instead or rational thought), but I owe it to myself to try to use my little brain for thinking and save my feelings for emotional matters.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1125
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:10 am

Image

Wow, you really don't see it!
Matteo V wrote: My intent is to ... make you think about something complex in a step-by-step manner.
Matteo V wrote:Here are some examples to think about:
etc.

[sarcasm]

[murcan]

Gee, thanks Matteo! :thumb:

[/murcan]

[/sarcasm]
Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:09 am
iriejohn wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:25 pm
Tell us Matteo, what was your Masters and/or what are your credentials that make you feel entitled to be so patronising?
I'll try to simply further. I don't care about credentials. That's it.

But I am sorry you feel patronized. My intent is not to evoke emotion, but rather make you think about something complex in a step-by-step manner. If you don't want to do that, then don't do that. Should "not thinking critically" be your choice, you have lots of company in the human race.

A few years back, I came across this saying (attributed to many, in different forms):

"Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people."

Should you stoop to attacking the person (ad hominem), it shows an inability to attack the argument. Should you want to engage in a conversation about an idea, just remember - I have stated many times that I attack the argument not the person. Should you fail to present evidence contrary to an argument, and thus resort to attacking the person...... well most people can see through that attack on the presenter of the argument as a sign that the argument is strong and cannot be attacked (at least not by that person resorting to ad hominem). A person with little credibility CAN make a credible argument. A person with lots of credibility CAN make a poor argument. To not argue against someone, who has better credentials than me, would allow poor arguments to flourish. To not allow someone with less credentials to challenge me, would be allowing my own poor arguments go unchallenged. In the end, a challenge either reinforces an argument, or shows that it is not as strong as the one presenting it thinks. Credentials are incapable of that.

Here are some examples to think about:

1. A parrot is taught to say "the sky is blue". I would agree with that statement, even though a parrot had said it. And I would not attack the parrot's statement because it came from a parrot.
2. If a second parrot is trained to say "the sky is green", I would not agree with that statement, but would not also blame that statement being false on it coming from a bird. The reason why the statement is false is obvious and provable. I would not just say "stupid parrot".
3. Many times in my life, I have been right when a more educated and more credentialed person was wrong.
4. Many times in my life, I have been wrong when a less educated and less credentialed person was right.

Credentials are a great way of sorting out who should take responsibility for a decision that needs to be made quickly. This is analogous to tautologies comment about having a heart attack and just going with the nearest heart surgeon to save you.

However, even highly credentialed doctors can be better, worse, or completely incompetent. In a situation where there time for a discussion, the argument stands on it's own, and the credentials of the presenter are best left off the table. Should I present my credentials, I would be going against what I have said is self evident in this matter.

User avatar
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2844
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:12 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!
Location: CubaKiteLessons.com
Contact:

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:38 pm

1936 - The good old, population control heat waves, before climate bedwetting.

Image

User avatar
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2844
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:12 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!
Location: CubaKiteLessons.com
Contact:

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:46 pm

German Public Television Report: “Electric Cars A Swindle” …”Rolling Climate-Killers” - WAS? :o

http://notrickszone.com/2018/07/01/germ ... e-killers/

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:29 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:10 am
Image

Wow, you really don't see it!
Matteo V wrote: My intent is to ... make you think about something complex in a step-by-step manner.
Matteo V wrote:Here are some examples to think about:
etc.

[sarcasm]

[murcan]

Gee, thanks Matteo! :thumb:

[/murcan]

[/sarcasm]
No. That is a "voice" or "tone" you are applying when you read my post. Many others with similar mentalities will do the same. My intent is not to evoke an emotional response - in fact, quite the opposite as I have stated before. So just forget about me and present evidence contrary to my argument.

If I could find a way to write in a manner that did not inflame you, I would. If you have any suggestions, and I am definitely leaving myself open to another emotional comment here, let me know.

Again, I have respect for you and your contribution here. Occasionally "people" should be discussed, even me. Maybe that is what you are here to teach me. Still, I would prefer to stick to the argument.

User avatar
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2844
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:12 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!
Location: CubaKiteLessons.com
Contact:

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:42 pm

One of the best periods in history to be alive, in temp graph form.
Image
Image
Image
Image

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1125
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:40 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:29 pm
No. That is a "voice" or "tone" you are applying when you read my post. Many others with similar mentalities will do the same. My intent is not to evoke an emotional response - in fact, quite the opposite as I have stated before. So just forget about me and present evidence contrary to my argument.

If I could find a way to write in a manner that did not inflame you, I would. If you have any suggestions, and I am definitely leaving myself open to another emotional comment here, let me know.

Again, I have respect for you and your contribution here. Occasionally "people" should be discussed, even me. Maybe that is what you are here to teach me. Still, I would prefer to stick to the argument.
"similar mentalities"? :?:

:lol:
Last edited by iriejohn on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:45 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:40 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:29 pm
No. That is a "voice" or "tone" you are applying when you read my post. Many others with similar mentalities will do the same. My intent is not to evoke an emotional response - in fact, quite the opposite as I have stated before. So just forget about me and present evidence contrary to my argument.

If I could find a way to write in a manner that did not inflame you, I would. If you have any suggestions, and I am definitely leaving myself open to another emotional comment here, let me know.

Again, I have respect for you and your contribution here. Occasionally "people" should be discussed, even me. Maybe that is what you are here to teach me. Still, I would prefer to stick to the argument.
"similar mentalities"? :lol:
:lol: Are we having a laugh together? Could you explain the joke or logical inconsistency that you are alluding to? Or are you still angered by a point I have made?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1125
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: West Sussex
Gear: this 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:04 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:45 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:40 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:29 pm
No. That is a "voice" or "tone" you are applying when you read my post. Many others with similar mentalities will do the same. My intent is not to evoke an emotional response - in fact, quite the opposite as I have stated before. So just forget about me and present evidence contrary to my argument.

If I could find a way to write in a manner that did not inflame you, I would. If you have any suggestions, and I am definitely leaving myself open to another emotional comment here, let me know.

Again, I have respect for you and your contribution here. Occasionally "people" should be discussed, even me. Maybe that is what you are here to teach me. Still, I would prefer to stick to the argument.
"similar mentalities"? :lol:
:lol: Are we having a laugh together? Could you explain the joke or logical inconsistency that you are alluding to? Or are you still angered by a point I have made?
No, I am not and have never been angered by anything you say.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 636
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: Is anyone else buying carbon credits to offset CO2 from travel?

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:13 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:04 pm
No, I am not and have never been angered by anything you say.
Sweet!....Then a laugh together it is!!!


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adamj2281, Baidu [Spider], Matteo V and 27 guests

cron