Favorite Beaches: Sal, Peniche, Obidos, IJmuiden
Style: Mostly waves
Gear: Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wash or not wash your kites

Postby CCollins » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:17 pm

Never wash my kites, mostly because I usually don't have anywhere to wash and dry them. Also because I suspect that the amount of chlorine in our local water would harm them.
I never put them away wet though, they are always completely dry, which also makes it easy to get the sand off which I really believe causes far more damage.

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada

Postby JustAGirl » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:47 pm

Well, I guess as long as you dry it... In my case it was after a long downwinder, it was evening, and there was no time left to dry it as the beach was closing & I was exhausted.... I stored it in a friend’s basement & the next time I needed it was two weeks later... and it was too late to reverse the damage; Don’t tell me this scenario isn’t common... it happens... I always wash my kites at the end of a season and every time I drop them; lagoons especially are full of bacteria; no way that’s coming home. But that’s me. To each their own.

JustAGirl
Medium Poster

Postby JustAGirl » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:16 pm

P.S. of you keep your kites for years, it’s your business what you do with them, but I don’t keep mine around longer than a year or two & either sell or give them away. So, out of a sense of responsibility to the next owner, please do wash them and keep them dry. Good rule of thumb!

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:42 pm

Yup, to each their own. I don’t think I have ever washed a kite in over 10 years and never had problems because of it.

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber
Gear: 8m Genetirx Hydra, 6m Slingshot RPX, 5m Switchblade

Postby RedSky » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:16 pm

I only wash the bar and lines in some tidal pool. I don't fold the kite into its bag either. I just gather it all up and chuck in in the car then chuck it in the garage. Kite always in great condition.

TechOps
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Salt Whistle Bay, Jericoacoara, Cumbuco, Maui
Style: freeride / freestyle
Gear: North Select, X-ride
Dice 7/9/10/12
Ride Engine

Postby TechOps » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:21 pm

Only washed the kite when I was a n00b and the kite was getting muddy / dirty in salt water/mud flats. Now I never wash. Any metal on the harness, bar, and even board gets rinsed w/ fresh water after each session. Wetsuit usually gets rinsed too. Kite is put away reasonably dry and if it's a little wet I leave the bag open till it dries out. Kites stay in excellent shape this way.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:51 pm

I always wash my kites if they hit the water during the session, but after droping my chrono v2 too much pushing the hydrofoil limits and taking so long to dry I decided to not wash it and I think incrusted salt makes it hold air better, and I realised that maybe washing my kite too much I actually ruined it instead of taking care of it.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:36 pm

Never wash. Salt water on a kite doesn't hurt it a bit. It's mold and mildew after putting it away wet with fresh water that does damage. Just look at professional sail boat racers. They never wash their sails except at the end of a season when they can do a full wash and completely dry them out before packing them away for the winter.

tkachuk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 75 kilos
Local Beach: Squamish, Nitinat (formerly: Cherry Beach, Allanwood, Presquil)
Favorite Beaches: Presquil (Ontario), Long Bay Turks, Silver Sands Barbados, OBX, Key Biscayne Florida
Style: boosting, carving my jibes, waves on TT
Gear: CORE, Shinn

Postby tkachuk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:20 pm

After seeing a few cRUSTY quick releases in humid salty kite locations, I wash salt water off anything metal in my equipment including this and my safety leash release.

JustAGirl
Medium Poster

Postby JustAGirl » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:54 pm

BOEMIX wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:51 pm
I always wash my kites if they hit the water during the session, but after droping my chrono v2 too much pushing the hydrofoil limits and taking so long to dry I decided to not wash it and I think incrusted salt makes it hold air better, and I realised that maybe washing my kite too much I actually ruined it instead of taking care of it.
Interesting! I’ve heard others say the same... But I did have that one bad experience with mould spots... And I’ve seen some kites in pretty bad shape, so maybe SOME care & hygiene is warranted. There are times when you have to wash it & dry it, maybe not every time you drop it, but definitely before you pack it away for longer periods, say over a day or two.

Maybe I t’s not a black & white issue, but case specific...

Anyway I’m tired of this topic... wash it, don’t wash it... whatever floats your boat, just try not smell...

Return to “Kitesurfing”