Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Complete Tear ACL

Forum for kitesurfers
tkachuk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 75 kilos
Local Beach: Squamish, Nitinat (formerly: Cherry Beach, Allanwood, Presquil)
Favorite Beaches: Presquil (Ontario), Long Bay Turks, Silver Sands Barbados, OBX, Key Biscayne Florida
Style: boosting, carving my jibes, waves on TT
Gear: CORE, Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Complete Tear ACL

Postby tkachuk » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:01 am

Repair your ACL. A good orthopod can get it done thru an arthroscope and, assuming you rehab right, you will get 100% function back in just a few weeks. Dont delay to avoid future unstability and long term damage to your joint. Sure, if you get your quads/capsule buffed and knee stable now things will be ok, but in a decade or so, when not so focused on uber quad strength exercises, the knee will suffer. Whether you go for a quad tendon (strong and lasting) or semimemb tendon (easier procedure but weaker transplant) transfer is another question. I blew an ACL 10 years ago and have been going strong ever since my quad tendon repair.

yzbob
Medium Poster
Gear: Mixed

Postby yzbob » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:24 am

at 20yrs old my vote goes 100% with getting it fixed properly.

i'm late 30's, damaged my ACL in the past but not complete tear, suffered numerous dislocated shoulders, & shattered an elbow over the years. it all starts to come back on you later.

my 10 cents is have the surgery, put a great deal of effort into the rehab, physio and strengthening work then in a year or so you can probably forget it ever happened. a year may feel like forever right now but its nothing compared to recurring problems over the next 40.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:45 am

kkhouly wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:05 pm
2 weeks ago i completely tore my ACL, after 1 week of resting and taking anti inflamatery pills the swelling in my knee went down and i retrieved full range of motion in the knee i am not at pain and tried kiting with a twin tip while wearing a simple knee brace just for reasurance. i did a couple of jumps and tricks nothing with extreme landings i did not experience pain or swelling. My knee so far has never buckled out of place im considered an athlete im 20 years old and work out almost every day however not that often on my legs. I NEED YOUR HELP SHOULD I DO THE ACL SURGERY OR NOT?????? are there any kiters out there that are kiting without an ACL and play freestyle or loop ???

Thanks all in Advance
Karim Khouly your fellow kitesurfer from Egypt!
You don't have to get the ACL surgery. The percentage is high you will tear it again even if you do get surgery. The best thing to do is to get a good knee brace and always wear it while kiting. It will reinforce the ACL and prevent another blowout. I've worn braces for 15 years and the best brace I've ever used is the Ossur CTI brace. Specifically the CTI Custom which is located here: https://www.ossur.com/injury-solutions/ ... cti-custom

Rakky
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rakky » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:21 am

Karim - you are 20 years old. ACL has a function, and helps stabilize the knee especially in 'pivot' motions.
If you don't have the ligament due to a complete tear, the meniscus and some of the other ligaments are at higher risk of tears/injuries. And if the meniscus tears, then increased articular cartilage wear and early arthritis.
If you were older (40 or older), or unlikely to participate in activities which require twisting knee motion, while the foot is planted on ground (basketball, soccer, tennis, landing from a kite jump etc) then don't necessarily need it fixed.
It won't heal back naturally. There is no food or nutritional supplement that will help that heal. Knee muscle strengthening will only help so much.
Braces will protect your knee, performing what the ACL does, but still at a risk.
Surgeons offer surgery, but then this is a surgical issue, and for what your activities need. Rehab is a few months, and once the ligament has healed, you can gradually increase activities and use a brace as well

oshaugho

Postby oshaugho » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Get it fixed! and then invest in a good functional knee brace and continue working hard on leg strength.

I ruptured mine at 25 and had it fixed and all was fine for 8 years. I got complacent and stopped wearing my brace and stopped putting in the effort to keep my legs strong. Everything felt great.
Then a few months ago i was kiting and coming in from a smallish jump I landed hot right on a piece of chop and it popped again but this time with meniscuc and mcl damage. Having just setup a new business I havent yet been able to have it repaired again. I am still kiting with a knee brace but have to dial back and cannot run or workout hard. I feel like a old man with this unstable knee and Im only 34.

Lesson learned is get it fixed and work hard at rehab and continung strengthening and wear the knee brace. Your future self will thank you!!

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:28 pm

Rakky wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:21 am
Karim - you are 20 years old. ACL has a function, and helps stabilize the knee especially in 'pivot' motions.
If you don't have the ligament due to a complete tear, the meniscus and some of the other ligaments are at higher risk of tears/injuries. And if the meniscus tears, then increased articular cartilage wear and early arthritis.
If you were older (40 or older), or unlikely to participate in activities which require twisting knee motion, while the foot is planted on ground (basketball, soccer, tennis, landing from a kite jump etc) then don't necessarily need it fixed.
It won't heal back naturally. There is no food or nutritional supplement that will help that heal. Knee muscle strengthening will only help so much.
Braces will protect your knee, performing what the ACL does, but still at a risk.
Surgeons offer surgery, but then this is a surgical issue, and for what your activities need. Rehab is a few months, and once the ligament has healed, you can gradually increase activities and use a brace as well
+1

Especially considering your age. Youth helps a great deal with recovery. Do it well and you will lead a full and functional life. Had a complete ACL tear and semitendinosis repair that has afforded my countless hours of boardriding and hot landings ever since with no end in sight.

There are very clean and functional procedures that will heal well if you put in the work and show the required restraint.

You may well need a good brace for a while. I have had one since, but only use it on snow or for certain sports. Generally not kiting unless I am already quite fatigued.

kkhouly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fly Kitesurfing Center, Ras Sudr, South Sinai, Egypt
Favorite Beaches: Ras Sudr
El Gouna
Cape Town
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North Dice 10m, Team Series 138 with Ronix boots, Mystic Harness

Postby kkhouly » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:58 pm

thank you guys for the advise it really is a complicated matter with two complete opposite oppionions that are both valid. i will be meeting up with a few more doctors before taking the final decision. one will never know which way is better

cheers
ride hard but be smart!

MasterOfLess
Rare Poster
Local Beach: CJ Brown Reservoir at Buck Creek State Park
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks, NC
Gear: Switch Element

Postby MasterOfLess » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:11 am

I agree with the recommendations to have the repair, assuming good medical care along the way. I'm 53, and had a patellar tendon graft back in 1990 when I was 25. The rehab is hard, but I was completely back in action 9-12 months later and on with the rest of my life. I've still got issues, but my left ACL isn't one of them :-) . I am very happy I did it and that I did it immediately (which I could, fortunately).

And also ditto the 'dont skip leg day' msg. If you do nothing else, SQUAT! :-)

AFC

HugoMC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolly
Style: Freeride
Gear: Gaastra Pure :)

Postby HugoMC » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:54 pm

kkhouly wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:05 pm
I NEED YOUR HELP SHOULD I DO THE ACL SURGERY OR NOT?????? are there any kiters out there that are kiting without an ACL and play freestyle or loop ???
Sorry to reopen an older thread but I facing the same dilemma at the moment and I am interested to hear what you decided to do? And what were the consequences?

3 weeks ago I totally crashed hard coming off a jump. My right footstrap broke releasing my right foot on impact. Dislocated the knee, fractured and bruised the joint, and tore the ACL.

3 weeks later my knee is strong. I have no pain and I can walk and cycle perfectly. The ortho surgeon says I need surgery. My physio says because of my background in Athletics I have huge strength in the muscles around the knee & I may be able to avoid surgery.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:43 pm

kkhouly wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:58 pm
thank you guys for the advise it really is a complicated matter with two complete opposite oppionions that are both valid. i will be meeting up with a few more doctors before taking the final decision. one will never know which way is better

cheers
ride hard but be smart!
let us know how you decided and why.

Good luck

Return to “Kitesurfing”