Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon
Brand Affiliation: None

at what height kite lines cross when looping

Postby sonny2727 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:05 am

Hi guys,
I have got 30m thin race lines and want to use extensions on bar end with thick lines -so when looping the kite thicker lines get crossed. Any idea length of standard diameter extensions to use 3m or 5m on bar end?
thanks

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: at what height kite lines cross when looping

Postby Lokihel » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:39 am

I think you would need to do some simple geometry using the width of your bar and the width of the back lines attachment points, as well as the line length, to solve for the crossing point.

It would obviously not be exact, but close enough. If you give us the numbers someone can figure it out.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:11 am

I did the same on my thin lines with 2.5 m thick extensions. In my case (30m with 15m foil kite) it crosses at a bout 1.5 meters so it is suitable. it will crooss further for a smaller kite. Best is to do 1 loop and check on your kite/Bar configuration or do the math : D=( bar width / kite span) × (line lenght - 3).
Then you redo this calculation by replacing the number 3 by your result of D (and Do it once again if you want accuracy). You should the add 1 meter to cope for bar pulling

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:25 am

Ok I failed maths ..no actually I copied and passed :)
I have a 12m kite (Mono) with Ozone 50cm bar on 30m (before extension lines) lines, so I guess 3m extensions would be sufficient ...now the difficult part is splicing lines because unlike kite end extensions on bar end need splicing

cleepa
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby cleepa » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:19 am

There is another option. Instead of reinforcing the lines where they cross, you can learn to spin the bar at the same time as you loop the kite. Then they will never cross. This is what I do. When looping the kite, you first do a half turn of the bar in the direction in which the kite will loop. Then you reach under the bar to grab the new bottom side. I think that is right. It has become so automatic for me that I can't remember exactly how it works. I learned it first when downlooping the kite as I hated having to unspin the bar. That is an easy first step to doing a full loop of the kite. There might be situations in which you loop the kite for which this might not be great. I can imagine jumping with a kiteloop not working well with this. One handed kiteloops are completely out as you need both hands.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:21 am

Great remark and good practice ; here in France we call it Boolgy-loop from the name of a famous snowkiter; easy on snow, less on water ;

One "intermediate" option that I use very often is to completely turn the bar BEFORE engaging the loop, for a water start or a gibe with HF for example; easy because you are not in the middle of a transition or trick; and in addition to a gain in piloting accuracy at the end of the movement, it limits the wear because when the lines are crossed at the start of the loop, you do not have the full power of the loop and lines untwist while force is increasing up to be fully untwist at window crossing. An you keep a better power/depower control vs boogly-loop

Return to “Kitesurfing”