Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best USCG buoyancy and impact vest for kitesurfing and windsurfing?

Forum for kitesurfers
Wind Over Water
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Sherman Island
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade
Been thanked: 0

Best USCG buoyancy and impact vest for kitesurfing and windsurfing?

Postby Wind Over Water » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:17 am

Hi there,

I took my first kitesurfing lesson about a year ago and got hooked into the sport. I'm still very much a beginner, but I'm kitesurfing more regularly and I'm also taking up windsurfing at the same time. I want to start purchasing my own gear and I'm hoping you more experienced kiters can give me some recommendations.

In particular, I want to purchase a life vest to give me buoyancy (#1 priority - USCG approved) and impact protection (#2 priority). Since I usually rent my kiteboarding and windsurfing equipment, I want a versatile vest. Ideally it can support waist harness, and seat harness; and can be used for kitesurfing and windsurfing. Price isn't a problem. I'm willing to pay more for safety and quality. Can you guys please help me with some recommendations?

Thanks!
WoW
Last edited by Wind Over Water on Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Best buoyancy and impact vest for kitesurfing and windsurfing?

Postby sarc » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:05 am

Most kayak PFDs will fit your bill (sorry they are really cheap)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:43 am

No way, kayak vests are clunky. Some have big enough bricks of foam to make for whiplash fulcrums when hitting the water backwards at speed. The kite specific stuff is way better. closer fitting neoprene, lower profile foam, waist harness compatible. Kite vests from ion, mystic, Liquid force or dakine are the way to go.

jonnydiesel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bantayan Is & Siargao Phillipines, Peel Estuary
Favorite Beaches: Bantayan Is,Sante Fe Siargao, Phillipines, Boggy Bay, Sandy Bay, GraveYards, Coronations, Augusta, Warnbro, Gnarloo, Avalon, Balian Indonesia, Mui Ne & Vang Tau Vietnam, Ras Sudr, Dahab
Style: Just having fun
Gear: Eleveight kites, Flysurfer Boards, Nomad 150)TT
Brand Affiliation: Exmoth Surf Centre WestOz Kiteboarding great service
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jonnydiesel » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:14 am

Have had a Jet Pilot vest.
Using for 5 years, a little worn but offers great buoyancy and protection.
Kite probably 250 days a year.
Have taken vest, to probably 10 different countries and as long as dry travels well.
Inspires confidence in new location
Been great value

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:24 am

Like this one a lot ...don't get it too tight / small of a size...it stretches a bit...so look for a pretty snug fit wearing it over a shorty....so on bare skin it should fit just right
40" chest ... got the large size.. " it is not USCG buoyancy " of course
Floats me real good in salt water....not a life preserver at all...just an aid to keep you floating using minimum of your energy....gives you additional confidence when way out
Worn when 5ft+++ wave height with very rough surf & rip current ...it could mean a very exhausting long swim to get in... if hell broke loose...losing kite and surfboard at same time
Fits great with waist harness set snug and it will barely ride up
Will not prevent drowning but it is better than having nothing at all....as far as impact i guess the floating material front and back should be sufficient for small/medium crashes

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Best USCG buoyancy and impact vest for kitesurfing and windsurfing?

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:36 am

Was happy with a jetpilot back in the day because there were no kite specific options. Manually removed a bunch of lower floatation to get it under a waist harness and It would shift and bunch up. No where near as waist harness compatible as the ion vectors I’ve used the last 4 years. LF, Dakine and Mystic all have Kite vests. LF looks like the most flotation.

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Gear: Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Postby ralu81 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:27 pm

Pretty sure you won’t find a kite specific uscg approved vest because of requirements they have for buckels... I just bought the ride engine vest and it fits great and doesn’t impact my motion.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:46 pm

RE looks like another decent option, and your right. There is not USCG approved option. Our marine laws here in Canada actually recognize that there may not be any certified options that work with the rest of the equipment and they make an allowance as long as you are trying to do your best to comply. I think that lets us get away with the non certified vests. I have worn one ever since a day a bunch of years ago now when I got ticketed. I was the only one out on a sunny but late fall day at our local. A cop literally drove his SUV out onto the lawn of the launch and stood at the water's edge arms crossed starring at me. I cut my session short, and was totally comfy, in no distress whatsoever with a pretty buoyant drysuit on, but no matter. Took it to the local magistrate and he lowered the fine from $250 down to $50 but still.

The cops cruise by here in their boat pretty steadily in the summer and they wont bother anyone with a vest.

I wear a helmet mostly for sun protection, but with a vest on I'm sure it helps deter unwanted attention from local officials. With the safety gear blatantly visible, they don't give me a second look.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:57 pm

PFD’s designed for whitewater kayaking / playboat kayaking are specifically designed for max freedom of movement while staying in place with secure fit. They have been fine tuned within that sport for good reason and transfer very well to Kiteboarding.
I am not talking about general purpose kayak /boating PFD’s, but rather the ones specifically designed for high mobility used by playboaters and steep creekers. This type fits like a glove, provides the uscg approval, and allows for the most unrestricted movement possible.
Impact vests from kite/wake brands do not provide a certified level of floatation. The full PFD’s from kite brands are quite unrefined compared with what is available from the whitewater paddling brands such as NRS, Astral, Kokatat.
Check out the NRS Vapor, or NRS ion, both very economical options with the type of cut you are looking for.

Usually these would be combined with a seat harness.
If you are using a waist harness, good luck.. It is possible to put it on over and adjust the shoulder straps short to hike it up.
I personally would like to see a waist harness developed with a meaningful amount of floatation incorporated into the design.... but that’s another discussion.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:38 pm

ralu81 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:27 pm
Pretty sure you won’t find a kite specific uscg approved vest because of requirements they have for buckels... I just bought the ride engine vest and it fits great and doesn’t impact my motion.
One does exist:
http://liquidforcekites.com/product/har ... rtex-kite/

Return to “Kitesurfing”