Gear: north kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need advice for beginner - kite size

Postby ROB67 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:03 am

Hi everyone,
I need some advise.
My sister is has started to practice kiteboarding, she his starting to stand up on the board right now, so I am now looking for her to find kite to buy.
As she is on the beginning and she will probably crash the kite, I am looking for an used one for now.

I found a used North Vegas 10 meter from year 2009 , it is in really good conditions.

My doubts are on the size (10 meter). She is 54 kg and the home spot wind conditions will normally be from 11/14 knots knots. She will use a TT board 135 x 40.

I heard that the Vegas does not have a lot of low end, so I am wondering if her weight and spot conditions are suitable for the Vegas 10 (2009)

Is there any one who has experience on the low end of the Vegas? (especially the 2009 model), would 54 kg 11/14 knots be ok for her to go upwind?

Thanks a lot!

Rob

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Re: Need advice for beginner - kite size

Postby pmaggie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:24 am

Hi Rob. Imo you'd better look for something else. First of all, the Vegas is absolutely not a beginner kite. It's a kind of C kite very good for freestyle and unhooking, that's the reason why it does not have a very huge wind range. Second, a 2009 kite is really old. It can still be in excellent conditions but the design is old, no matter how you look at it. Maybe someone will tell you "old kites were better because bla bla bla". The truth is that 9 (not one, nine) years of r&d brougth us kites that are far easier, far safer and with much more wind range than in the past. At 54 kgs. a 10 mts is ok in 11/14 knots, maybe also an 11 but look for a 3-4 years old freeride kite. She will for sure crash it but it's better to crash the kite than to crash herself. Kites are for sale, humans are not! :-)
Last edited by pmaggie on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:43 am

This ^^^ is good advice.

Try to find a 5 year old (or less) 10m allround 4 line kite such as a Slingshot Rally or Airush Lithium, etc.

ROB67
Rare Poster
Gear: north kites

Postby ROB67 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:22 pm

Thanks for your comments.

Although, I have to say that I tried the Vegas and it did not seem to me so difficult to ride, its just different from sle.

Thanks anyway

Any comments from someone who uses the Vegas in this forum ?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:38 pm

When people say "difficult" some seem to think that means it is close to impossible for a beginner to use the kite. It is not. But small things do make a difference. Getting just that little bit more power when the wind is weak could be the difference between staying up wind or not (wind range). Same with boards. A bigger board might keep you above the water for 0.1s more making a turn. That 0.1s might just be enough for someone less skilled to make the transition without falling. Or the kite being slightly easier to water relaunch... when the wind is good basically all kites are easy to relaunch - however that time the wind is weak and you are "lost" a bit too far out or something it makes a difference etc.

I can't comment on the Vegas, but in general I agree with pmaggie both in terms of age and type of kite. Even if I think some worry too much about it being new. My old Catalyst from around 2013 is still very much alive. Not vastly different from the current version. A beginner would probably not notice the difference.

JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada

Postby JustAGirl » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:39 pm

Please get her a bigger kite, at least a 12m if not 13,5 in these conditions, used is fine, a Dice or Evo would do great, if you are a North person, errr whatever they are calls now, Tombstone. Have fun! Kitesurfing is my fave family tradition. Have a blast 💥

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:15 am

for true 11-14 knots I'd probably look at something around 13-14m for that weight. 14 knots is ok but 11 knots is barely enough for me to ride on anything but a foil at 65kg with any size kite

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:02 am

At 54kg she will not ever need anything bigger than a 10-11m . If that size will fly she will be ok. Sure can use your bigger kite but don't let her by a 14...really bad advice. Vegas not a good choice either for learning...advanced unhooked action sure.
Get something like a switchblade or core xr4-5, rally, pivot etc.

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:05 am

If you really want a 13m then get this in cdn dollars so do the math.
https://www.silentsports.com/Kiteboardi ... C18CRX013/

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:42 am

dylan* wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:15 am
for true 11-14 knots I'd probably look at something around 13-14m for that weight. 14 knots is ok but 11 knots is barely enough for me to ride on anything but a foil at 65kg with any size kite
54kg and 13-14m in 11-14 knots on a 135x40 TT? Don't think so.

A nice light 3 strut 10/11m with good low end would work fine.

Return to “Kitesurfing”