Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ambitious kiter looking for a two-kite-quiver

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ambitious kiter looking for a two-kite-quiver

Postby iriejohn » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:51 pm

At 65kg in 30+ knots for sure you want to be on 7m rather than 8m!

(I'm 81kg and I'd be using a 6m but then I'm not a young gun and can't be arsed to hang on for dear life above 35 knots ;-) )

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:58 pm

Roon wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:30 am
Hey guys,

I am looking for my first kites and need your help really bad. :D I can ride around quite good und also jump decently so I am not actually a beginner anymore. However, in August I am going to travel to Western Australia for a year where I really want to improve my skills. :D I am not sure about my favored riding style yet which makes the choice hard. I want to learn some basic freestyle moves (frontroll, backroll, raley,...) and also try wavekiting. I also can only afford two kites at the moment. Therefore, I need versatile kites with a big windrange. Is a combination of 8 and 11qm fine for WA`s conditions at 65kg (145lbs)? I might buy a third kite later when I know more about my riding style.
I could get a good deal on the following models:

F-One Bandit X
Naish Dash or Pivot (2017)
Slingshot RPM (2017)
Gaastra Pure (2017)

I know that some of those kites are entirely different. What would you recommend? Especially I am interested in the Pure because it is really cheap and I found very little information about it on the internet.

I hope you can help me because I am really confused :D Thank you very much!

Greetings Roon :bye:
Don't do RPM - it's not a kite to waves and Rally (Pivot/Switchblade) would be way better choice as of relaunchability and allaround/wave riding
I'm not familiar with Western Australia conditions, for your weight I'd call 10m Rally for around 12-22 knots wind range with sweet spot 16-20knots (no waves, no currents considered).
a 7m would be 30% size step down for stronger winds

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Naish Pivot 8m, 11m

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:23 pm

Roon wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:30 am
I could get a good deal on the following models:

F-One Bandit X
Naish Dash or Pivot (2017)
Slingshot RPM (2017)
Gaastra Pure (2017)

I know that some of those kites are entirely different. What would you recommend? Especially I am interested in the Pure because it is really cheap and I found very little information about it on the internet.

Greetings Roon :bye:
Pure is a really nice kite that (much like the pivot) jumps really well. Really gives a punch. Very decent upwind, drift is obviously less dan the average wavekite but okay. Build quality and resale value (at least in most parts of the world) is less. From the Pure you can indeed find a 2 kite quiver for less than 1200€.
You might consider buying another bar than the Ga X4 bar... there are other bars that give better value for money.

Roon
Rare Poster
Gear: Currently I am renting gear (North, Core)
Been thanked: 0

Postby Roon » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Alright guys thank you for helping me out! :D So far, I narrowed it down to either the Dash or the Pure. Dash would be a little bit more expensive. I assume that it would be easier to sell the Dash in Australia at it`s value, though. Plus, I could expand my range later with a little Dash OR Slash or whatever depending on what suits my style better.
The final question would be whether I should get a 7-10- or 8-11-combo for the WA conditions. Would 8-11 be better considering that those kites have a worse low-end than a pivot for example? Or would you still recommend 7-10?

Seabizzle
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Woodmans point, Leighton, Cottesloe, Scarborough
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui, Augusta Western Australia, Lancelin Western Australia
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: BWS Noise pro 10m, BWS noise classic 6m, Naish Fly 17m, Wainman Gambler 5'10"(R.I.P.) North Pro series 6'2, unidentified twin tip

Postby Seabizzle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:34 pm

Having thought it over you will definitely need a 7m or smaller for your smallest kite! At your weight do not go bigger than 7m for your smallest kite, I would say 7 and 10 would be a perfect combo.

In the summer you will get alot of use out of your 7m as the afternoon thermal Seabreeze often gets to be 25-30 knots.

In the winter there is often no wind at all and then crazy storms so you will need a small kite if you want to get out on those days.

I am 100kg and ride 90% strapless surf (so use a smaller kite) my most used size is 7m

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:59 am

I guess I am now a Pivot fanboy, but I strongly recommend it. The kite is amazingly versatile, although a friend has an 11m and I'm not as happy riding it (I think the leading edge is too thin and flexes too much). But I simply love my 7m Pivot in Cape Town, for those strong summer days and for winter storms, and the conditions in Western Australia are similar (although sadly when I was there I was not proficient yet). The 2017 Pivot is even more robust than my 2016, so I strongly recommend it. No need for your 10 or 11m to be the same brand, with pigtails you can adapt any kite to a decent simple 4-line bar. And I am 85kg, riding TT and directional, strapped and strapless, and 62 years old. If you don't yet have a surfboard, no sense buying one and taking it there, you should be able to get a cheap older board there, most anything will do, even an old real surfboard, to get started. You can squeeze two kites, harness, bar, pump and TT into a normal kite travel bag.

Return to “Kitesurfing”