Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What is the international signal for "Abort launch"?

Forum for kitesurfers
JustAGirl
Medium Poster
Gear: The British Armada
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What is the international signal for "Abort launch"?

Postby JustAGirl » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:34 pm

RickI wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:55 am
I posted these hand signals in 2002 on here, as no one else was really proposing a uniform set of signals at the time. There have been some bad kite accident related to miscommunication so the need was obvious. I borrowed some from diving and common sense.

The clenched fist basically means to hold, and people seem to get it. I then follow with my flat hand extended outward pushing down signaling to put the Kite down. However it’s important to go over the stuff in advance of your session to remove any doubt. Yelling shouldn’t be relied upon alone nor should you use inexperienced non-kiters for help. Past accidents reinforce the reasons why not.

Sorry but if I‘m holding your kite & you start clowning around like that I’ll probably just let you bite the dust... I double dare you! 🙄

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:03 pm

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:40 am

JustAGirl wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:34 pm
Sorry but if I‘m holding your kite & you start clowning around like that I’ll probably just let you bite the dust... I double dare you! 🙄
I guess it’ll teach the person launched that you can’t be trusted. There are pretty common and intuitive non-verbal communication signs and if you don’t understand it’s not your fault but maybe not a reason to be aggressive and being so full of yourself. Like what, shrugging your shoulder would not mean a response “I don’t get you, what do you mean?”. Worst case put the kite down and make sure it doesn’t fly away.
One day you might need a launch/rescue and karma might turn out to be usual karma.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:33 am

I dont know of any international signals on this one...

But I do know, that what we always intuitively do works - almost everyone I have seen do it this way.

It happens quite often in fact, that some have to abort, so I dont agree with those saying it hardly never happens.
Crossed lines, something wrong with your shackle or QR or whatever, bridle wrapped quite common, tip snagged (foil kites), or simply bailing out in the last second as you find it is too windy, or can see a squall coming, or the safety line is not right - lots of reasons why you DONT want to launch...

Could not find pictures on the net, so went in the garden with my mobile, no sound but illustrates that you yell to the helper in a language that is understood.
Stooop would fit most

https://youtu.be/QSD-YUvrvZc

Above works splendidly :D

Tapping on your head can be way too risky, as raising one arm (thumbs or not, can not be seen if raining or sand blowing) is the signal to let go and can easily be mistaken :roll:

One can always discuss whether it is better to hold the bar if the helper let go anyways, or hold the QR, but in both cases when you raise one hand only, the risk of misunderstanding that it means something is wrong and letting go instead is much higher IMO.

Waving arms low across, maybe walking towards the helper so slack lines, works - and when you can see the helper lowers the kite you can tap on your head to show it is not something that can be fixed now, the kite should be put down (ha haa, sounds like it shold be "shot dead" - but maybe it should if something is wrong :rollgrin: )

Above signal for stop/abort can be understood and not mistaken for an arm up, even for dummies or anyone not into kitesurfing IMO and experience.

8) Peter

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber
Gear: 8m Genetirx Hydra, 6m Slingshot RPX, 5m Switchblade

Postby RedSky » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:51 pm

I use the "cut throat" signal, similar to the stop engine signal but less pronounced, it makes me look cool. :D :cool2:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/p4xEVY459w0?start=220
Last edited by RedSky on Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Love Peter's signal. one vote to adopt it.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:10 pm

In my area we just drop our shorts and squat down, local sign to abort launch due to impending dump.Not sure how this would go over in civilized areas. :argue:

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:53 pm

In our home spot the launch area is extremely tricky. The kiter stays in chest high water while the helper is on the top of a public tiled promenade where people and bikers transit all the time. So the procedure for the helper is: kindly stop the people (and always thank them after launching), wait for the thumb up of the kiter, let the kite go. Same for landing (more tricky, if possibile), after the classic hand over the head signal. What we learned in many years (yes, there were problems of course) is NEVER let the kite go without the thumb up. The kiter can shout "ok, all right, I'm fine, leave the kite, yeah man I'm ready", everything but without the thumb up we never never let go. Keeping this rule in mind, it's very easy to abort the launch: if the kiter wants to abort, he simply does not show his thumb up and walk toward the helper with slack lines. If the helper notice any problem he just put the kite back on the grass. What I mean is: we use only ONE signal, that is IMO the most efficient way to avoid misunderstandings. Everything that is not thumb up means abort.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:40 pm

RedSky wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:51 pm
I use the "cut throat" signal, similar to the stop engine signal but less pronounced, it makes me look cool. :D :cool2:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/p4xEVY459w0?start=220
+1 for "cut throat"
I prefer this as I can keep one hand on bar, just in case...

Return to “Kitesurfing”