Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Advice from an older married kiter to a young one

Forum for kitesurfers
Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Advice from an older married kiter to a young one

Postby Peert » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:51 pm

I instructed my daughters myself and kept them safe. Always distance...

My girlfriend took lessons resulting in tangled kites and injury to the hand due to snapped leash. IMHO the commercial interests of the kiteschool jeopardized safety. Too crowded spot... most kiteschools did like hers... don't stop and refund.. just continue in unsafe conditions.. I truly regret not have taken the single chance to keep her enthusiastic up on myself.

Oh .. and this was a IKO kiteschool in Portugal carefully selected from reviews etc...

The holidays could be so much better if we could do an uncompromized kitesurfing holiday...

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Sad to say that I'm married to a windsurfer. Somehow this hasn't split us up. I vowed to stay with her for better or worse. :remybussi:

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:58 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:28 pm
Sad to say that I'm married to a windsurfer. Somehow this hasn't split us up. I vowed to stay with her for better or worse. :remybussi:
:lol:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:43 pm

Peert wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:51 pm

My girlfriend took lessons resulting in tangled kites and injury to the hand due to snapped leash. IMHO the commercial interests of the kiteschool jeopardized safety. Too crowded spot... most kiteschools did like hers... don't stop and refund.. just continue in unsafe conditions.. I truly regret not have taken the single chance to keep her enthusiastic up on myself.

Oh .. and this was a IKO kiteschool in Portugal carefully selected from reviews etc...

The holidays could be so much better if we could do an uncompromized kitesurfing holiday...
My wife learnt faster than me (she's never windsurfed which is an advantage) but she was really messed around by Russian kitesurfers who in spite of it being a learners only area insisted on showing off weaving in and out close inshore among the learners, so she gave it up and decided to SUP instead. This was in Gokova in Turkey.

IainMacaskill
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Calshot, Hillhead, Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Reef, Uig, Isle of Lewis
Style: Hoon
Gear: Airush, Core, Storm, Gong Kite, Zeeko & Shinn
Brand Affiliation: Highland Park
Has thanked: 0

Postby IainMacaskill » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:28 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:43 pm
Peert wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:51 pm

My wife learnt faster than me (she's never windsurfed which is an advantage) but she was really messed around by Russian kitesurfers who in spite of it being a learners only area insisted on showing off weaving in and out close inshore among the learners, so she gave it up and decided to SUP instead. This was in Gokova in Turkey.
I had the same experience in with Russian muppets in Gokova, the wee dafty eventually got learnt, he stacked it and smacked himself into the beach but thankfully he was the only one hurt, the kite was fine.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:52 pm

I see both - showing off near where students learn and students getting out to learn right in the middle of where others are boosting and having major fun.

Neither is a good idea, should be intuitive to go learn downwind in a less crowded space and for good riders to stay the hell outta there

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:12 am

invite your partner to all social events and even to kite sessions if they do not kite... they will get to know everyone..

Rakky
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rakky » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:37 am

[/quote]

Same in Rhodes, Prasonisi - no wiggle room as they were jumping aggressively with lots of learners around. Couple of instructors were upset, but said they didn't want to upset anyone as they needed the business.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Been thanked: 0

Postby SaltWaterDog » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:23 am

I like how this has morphed into the “watch out for the Russians!” thread.

hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush

Postby hongchew » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:07 am

SaltWaterDog wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:23 am
I like how this has morphed into the “watch out for the Russians!” thread.
Hahaha, even kiters in Vietnam and Thailand complain about crazy Russian, could be some truth to that notoriety.

Return to “Kitesurfing”