Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Trouble finding board after crash

Postby rynhardt » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:15 pm

resqman911 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:40 am
Hey guys , another newbie question.

So yesterday on two different occations on very minor crashes I had a tough time finding my board, in choppy water its tough to find a board thats upside down , luckily both times I was fairly close to shore so I body dragged in to shore, spotted the board and then body dragged back out, but if this happen away from shore I’m worried I will lose my brand new board, any suggestions or hints for a newbie?
Yeah this a fairly common problem. Bright colours help a lot. If you can't find it after a few body drags upwind, you can send the kite and lift yourself up out of the water to get a better view.
If you kite in a location with an upwind current you may have a hard time catching it even if you are a champion body dragger. Then boots or a go-joe can help.
Lastly, put your name and mobile number on the board.

PS. Consider this.. in significant chop it becomes difficult to spot a board.. or a kiter whose kite is down.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:35 am

rynhardt wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:15 pm
Lastly, put your name and mobile number on the board.
^^ This. :thumb:

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:42 am

My mate has a carbon board, he crashed and lost it, it took me about 15/16 passes and some blind luck to find it. He said he's never get another black board!

If I ever crash now and lose my board the first thing I do if I can't see it immediately is body drag upwind asap, then tack back, usually I come straight up to it on the first tack back.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Yes, that works well if you have not crashed your kite as well. If the kite goes down everything takes longer to organize and colors on the board, top & bottom, really help a lot. And don’t say Just don’t crash the kite That’s just f’in ______.

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:59 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:43 pm
Yes, that works well if you have not crashed your kite as well. If the kite goes down everything takes longer to organize and colors on the board, top & bottom, really help a lot. And don’t say Just don’t crash the kite That’s just f’in ______.
Ah yeah, this is exactly what happened to my friend, he took so long getting his kite back up he was nowhere near his board. The only reason I got it was I'd already made my way over to check he was ok so I was in the right area.

resqman911
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore
Gear: none
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby resqman911 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:07 pm

think I’m going to ride with a Go Joe for a little bit, at least until I’m not crashing as often. Do not want to lose my board.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:17 pm

If you use a Go Joe, don't let it become a crutch. Use it to help spot your board, but don't use it as a propulsion device. In other words, once you spot your board, practice your body dragging back and forth to retrieve the board. Don't just wait for the wind and current to drive the Go Joe downwind to you. As someone said earlier in this thread, you'll reach a point when you'll want to lose that Go Joe. Develop the skills now to lose the Go Joe sooner rather than later.

resqman911
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore
Gear: none

Postby resqman911 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:52 pm

I totally understand not letting the Go Joe become a crutch, honestly I feel pretty confident at body dragging right now, I’m not perfect by any means but I can get back to my board when I can see it, it really just made me nervous not being able to spot my board, and had I been away from shore it would have been pretty difficult to find it.

Palti
Rare Poster
Local Beach: No Beach near to my hometown
Favorite Beaches: Soma Bay, Agios Nikolaos, Milos Beach
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR 4 in 12/15/19, Core Choice 2

Postby Palti » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:43 pm

Hey
Had the Same Problem often. So i bought some Wings die Buffer children with bladder inside ans a neoprene outer material. These lasting die ever, suviving Crashes and smaller Boards than 145*45 normaly Always Turn upright. So you See ist much easier and the Wind pushes it much Raster in YouTube Direktion. Installed in a LW Board 160*50 IT only pushes Up the Edge, dont Turn IT around. But also this helps to find your board faster and to bei pushed by the Wind. Maybe Not the most stylish Gadget but it works fine

nfried
Rare Poster
Gear: None

Postby nfried » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:24 am

Same as Obe_1. I immediately start body dragging in direction of kite when I fell, not worrying about where the board is. I go for a 10 count or so, and then body drag back the other way. I always spot my board and often am able to retrieve it. The key is getting on the body drag as soon as possible after falling. The longer you wait the further you are dragged down wind from the board. I've never used a Go Joe, but my girlfriend finds it very useful.

Return to “Kitesurfing”