Rare Poster
Local Beach: South coast uk
Style: Wave (mush)
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None

North fin boxes

Postby Dengan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:32 am

:argue: Hey folks.

I run aground on the surfboard on my last session and have damaged one of the finboxes on my north wam board. Board is taking on water and the box needs to be changed.

Thought it would be straight forward enough to find one in the uk, but im really struggling!

Ive found futures fin boxes but apparently theyre very slighty different in dimensions which is clealry not ideal.

Any tips on where i can fine one or other thoughts would be great!

Thanks all

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North fin boxes

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:12 pm

I had a 2012? North Whip that I loved. It was super light, until I needed to add glass to the deck to make it stronger, and then later I broke out the fin boxes. North uses (or did that year) some cheap knock off boxes for futures that had no structural support. I think that North's idea was to get the weight as low as possible to impress those concerned with weight. I was one of those people, but now I use a "brick" of a board that is pretty impossible to damage and have very little concern for weight.

My advice is to install real futures boxes in that board, and not to mess around with knock-off light weight boxes.

Dengan
Rare Poster

Postby Dengan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:33 pm

Thanks Matteo.
Indeed they look like knock off futures boxes, pretty flimsy and this is the second one ive had to replace.

Dont fancy changing all of them, so guess i’ll replace with a real futures box. Only thing was that i read somewhere that they are very slightly different dimensions, so either i’ll have a wobbly fin, or i’ll have to sand it down, or use different fins for eah box!
Cheers

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:22 am

They are futures.

Dengan
Rare Poster

Postby Dengan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:30 pm

Futures boxes ordered.

Quick follow up question..Can anyone confirm if its PU or polystyrene foam in the 2012 wam?? (Looks like the latter...)

Cheers

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:11 pm

Regardless it is safe to use epoxy resin on a PU board, but not the other way around. So just use epoxy resin.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:25 pm

There is no benefit to using Polyester resin in a repair like this. Epoxy is stronger and compatible with any laminate or core material.

Epoxy can be a bit brittle, but if you are worried about that, use West System "G-flex" liquid. It does not wet out as well on fabric, but it can be used in that application with some additional patients from the one doing the repair. For cutting out and gluing in some new boxes without a fabric overlay, you will be better off with the higher viscosity of the "G-flex". I recommend the liquid, not the pre-thickened version.

Dengan
Rare Poster

Postby Dengan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:46 pm

Got it! Thanks a lot for the advice guys 👍

Return to “Kitesurfing”