Why do you need especially fast turning kite

Forum for kitesurfers
Jukka
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn, Core, Shinn, Airush
Brand Affiliation: None

Why do you need especially fast turning kite

Postby Jukka » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:51 pm

There seems to be plenty comments about bigger and slower kites being very boring. Like the one quoted below:
I have flown most of the big light wind kites on the market...…..they all suck, big , slow, and boring. Sorry but there is no magic kite IMO. A few years ago they got me excited, now I would rather wait for the wind to hit 13/14 mph and I can start having fun on my 12m flite.
It's obvious you want a fast kite on waves, loops during jumps and surely other specific situations.

But for regular riding and jumping and basic tricks I don't get the hype.

To me, my 17 m LW high AR kite is just as fun as my snappy 9 m freestyle / freeride kite.
The 17 rides fast enough, pulls jumps up like a smooth elevator and then does downloop carving turns with zero problems.
With my intermediate skills I can basically do all the same things on 9 or 17.

Am I missing a point here what makes super-fast kites the thing?

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why do you need especially fast turning kite

Postby SaltWaterDog » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:01 am

Yup. I don’t get it either and left a comment about it on the other thread. LW kites are their own category and a different kind of ride. I love them. If anyone expects a 17 to behave and perform like a 9 in much calmer conditions, then all I can say is, don’t get a LW kite. Would be awesome to boost 10+ meters or megaloop in 7 knots but who are we kidding here.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:03 am

To make a big kite 17 and up turn properly fast you need to have the touch

Those who say negative stuff about them just have not figured it out yet

Proper kite and lines tuning are essential for sure

Correct bar control input along the depower line is very important

Don't choke that kite while downstroking / upstroking

Same with downloops / kiteloops

Big kites are not slow...they turn perfectly fast enough for their sizes if you have become good at it

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:10 am

Try steer that 17m kite with just wrist of your front hand. Thats how i need steer my kite in frontside turn. With both hand on bar your body position is all wrong.

Anyway i need fast steering kite to force him to drift with me. If some kite drift itself i dont need fast turning kite. But that kite did not exist yet.

Thats from wave riding perspective.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:14 am

There is too slow.

But slow is good if you want to progress certain tricks.
With fast kites I wouldn't progress as much as I do.
My tricks give me right...no one progresses like me. And this is due to my slow kite...I use an 18 Sqm kite with 32m lines and inner connection of the bar.

A fast turning kite would have put me into hospital many times.

If you are into looping kites of course it is a different story.
Also for waves or freestyle.

So, if you have your style and tricks you want to go for, use what you need to land those...don't listen to others what they tell you you should ride or not...it's your game, play it your way !

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:25 am

To make them turn quick and tight.... steer with the pull / push method

Depending on what you are doing the hand that pulls uses the fingers and the hand that pushes has open palm using the wrist area

Doing like "tomtom" said both hands with fingers wrapped tight around the bar is not efficient for fast turning large size kites

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:29 am

Toby wrote: There is too slow.

But slow is good if you want to progress certain tricks.
With fast kites I wouldn't progress as much as I do.
My tricks give me right...no one progresses like me. And this is due to my slow kite...I use an 18 Sqm kite with 32m lines and inner connection of the bar.

A fast turning kite would have put me into hospital many times.

If you are into looping kites of course it is a different story.
Also for waves or freestyle.

So, if you have your style and tricks you want to go for, use what you need to land those...don't listen to others what they tell you you should ride or not...it's your game, play it your way !
Toby, yes slow kites are better for airstyle ! But do you find the better response and feel of tubes over foils better or easier for airstyle? I do. How do you weigh that against the better hangtime of a foil?

tomtom wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:10 am
Try steer that 17m kite with just wrist of your front hand. Thats how i need steer my kite in frontside turn. With both hand on bar your body position is all wrong.

Anyway i need fast steering kite to force him to drift with me. If some kite drift itself i dont need fast turning kite. But that kite did not exist yet.

Thats from wave riding perspective.
Why do you need to turn the kite to drift it? With proper drift I do not see how it is possible to turn any kite, lines are too slack. With slack lines you are free to hold the bar in what ever position you like or even let go. Body position is basically the same as surfing without a kite.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:45 am

I need the direct feeling to know where the kite is.
And to pull it when I need it.

It's like driving a sports car.

Yes, Hangtime is awesome of the foils, but not all.
I need it to turn a bit faster, the 18s foils are too slow.. that's what I meant earlier.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:24 am

Slow kites slow all aspects of the riding. You have to plan ahead for everything and it just draws everything out too long.

You can work fast kites more effectively in their low end and recover them better, but mostly, quickness frees up the riding for faster decision making and direction changes. Think longboard vs shortboard surfboards. You can surf them both on a lot of waves but the smaller quicker board allows for more dynamic riding. translates into the freedom to do more of what you want when you want instead of only what the pace of the kite allows. Boosting in irregular chop, waves with irregular sections, or just fast paced cornering is just so much better when you can make split second decisions.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:47 am

I want the kite to do what I want it to, when I want it to. It's simple as that.

When you're just cruising around in comfortable conditions the kite doesn't matter all that much. If you're at the extremes of the low end or the high end then quick response is vital both for recovering from errors, and just cutting loose and having fun.

There is nothing nicer than when slash, carve, swoosh all lines up perfectly and you charge out of a move with more speed than you went in.

At the moment I use my 15m kite on 20m lines with a 60cm bar, down to the 5m with 52cm bar and 22m lines. It is a beautiful feeling when I point the "magic wand" and the kite goes straight to where I want it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”