Rare Poster
Gear: North Evo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Discrete lines on Cabrinha Contra

Postby MataLeao » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi guys,

I just sold a used kite for the first time, a 2016 Cabrinha Contra 15 m2 with recoil bar. I inserted it as being in good condition, without tears or anything else and stated true to facts that it has been used about 15 sessions. That kite has always felt like it is in perfect condition to me the few times I have used it, so I didn't really bother inspecting it before selling. The buyer couldn't come personally, so I agreed on sending it. Clearly, selling a used kite indirectly like this is not the best way to do it.
Now, the buyer has sent me a message stating that there are fine white lines on the kite, which I can see on a photo that he sent me on one corner of the front tube. I don't know if they are limited to that area. Do you know what this is and if it represents any significant wear on the kite? Also, presumably the canopy doesn't crinkle as much as he would like it too!? I have offered a cancellation of the deal, should he not want the kite.
Thanks for helping out!
Cabrinha1.jpg

John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Re: Discrete lines on Cabrinha Contra

Postby John Doe » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Uh...yes...it's called "normal wear & tear". It happens when kites are used. Hell, I've even had some new kites with that. Nothing to worry about. Tell him he's worrying about nothing.

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:06 pm

Just marks from folding looks to me. Pretty sure my brand new kite looked like that.

danidr
Medium Poster
Style: Twintip
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby danidr » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Beardytello wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:06 pm
Just marks from folding looks to me. Pretty sure my brand new kite looked like that.
This creaks or whatever you want to call them we're there on my new Switch and 2018 Cab Drifter. It's normal and doesn't affect performance. Id's say it's more noticeable on that blue tone because it makes it look 'old/very worn down'.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:12 pm

They are perfectly normal.
Has been discussed on here for 8 yrs or more.
Some years it seemed to happen more than others but hard to tell.
The newer, the stiffer and hence more faint white lines.

Once the kite reaches old age and feels like a piece of wet lettuce, they disappear!

The buyer should maybe take it to a local Cab shop or compare to others on the beach, for reassurance.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:53 am

As others have said, the "lines" in the blue area are just from normal usage, like "lines" in a new pair of denim blue jeans after the first wear or two. The white "lines" across the letters are part of Cabrinha's logo. Based on the photo, the kite looks to be in good shape to me.

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:18 am

That blue shows it worse than other colors. I had one..looked old after a few weeks.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:27 am

Yeah they all do it and have forever. As soon as you roll it out for the first time and inflate it, it'll start showing. Zero effect on performance or reliability.

Return to “Kitesurfing”