Re: Board design -- also a boring question

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:59 am

Macster wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:33 pm
Macster wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:47 pm
ASP in NZ built me a custom board for $800 AUD. The first one was too thin and snapped but to their credit they replaced it with a thicker one.

We spent a lot of time talking about riding styles and preferences, sizes etc before pulling the trigger.

Really happy with the outcome. I got a 144 x 46cm that is strong enough for boots. Its my lightwind weapon that still allows me to do unhooked tricks in 10-15 knots. The load and pop takes a bit more effort to dig a rail in at that size but it is still agile.

My normal board is the Naish Stomp which I love but has such an aggressive rocker that even 15 knots is challenging on a 12m Vegas.

Id still like to build my own board for fun but try ASP if you want a solid outcome.
ASP shop is in my hometown :D so yeah, that sounds like an idea. What was the timeframe on that?
3 or 4 weeks with delivery. Aaron is the guy.
Cheers!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Board design -- also a boring question

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:54 am

downunder wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:52 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:51 am
downunder wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:37 pm
Whats stopping you? ;)

Cmon, I've been using my 2x1.5m laundry for years...

Anyways, spray comes from edges, sand off the edges on some angle = no spray. At least on my boards.

Why negative outline on some boards? I.e. Litewave. More area.

Less area less drag, the optimum is somewhere in the middle.
Ugh, having to learn everything involved for a start :D then shipping in the materials, finding the time, finding the space where I could leave it undisturbed...

Spray in chop looks to me like it comes from the edge near the nose. The more pulled in they are, the more it hits my leg and goes straight up into my face. Straighter rail and board ridden flat = less problem. More weight on the back foot = less problem.

Less area = less planing ability, no? Which is draggy is it not? Any time I've ridden a flat-bottemed boards, it's felt incredibly draggy compared to my channeled boards...but making those are even harder, aren't they?

I need to win the lottery :lol:
Excuses:)

I mean, we discussing this for, dunno, 7 years now? I'm sending SS inserts all over the World, ppl are doing it as we type this.

For 800 I can build 10+ boards. Its that cheap.

Why do you think Ive got a sewing machine? Already did heaps with it, Best Buy ever.
Really? Yikes :D
Inserts are the least of my issues -- I can get them here.

Getting the wood would be expensive, because of shipping and restrictions, proper glass fiber the same and resin may be impossible. The stuff the hardware store sells is ... suspicious.

Return to “Kitesurfing”