Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Don't buy a Core kite before you read this!

Forum for kitesurfers
jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Don't buy a Core kite before you read this!

Postby jeromeL » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:22 pm

k2thiago wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:19 am
Matteo V wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:44 pm
k2thiago wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:41 pm
Do you guys realize no matter what if the OP had an agenda or he was just honestly complaining, the damage that all this ridiculous discussion, calling names and blaming game is causing to Core image is waaaay worse than his initial complain? If he actually had a plan to "hurt" Core, damn he was really successfull, but because of yours.
Have you read Graeme F's (aka Captain Core and several other screen names) posts? Core is not doing themselves in any worse than any other COREporate kiteboarding company would. But this guy is the issue that makes me wonder what Core is thinking with them having him as a distributor for an entire country.

And DEFINETLY let fellow kiters know when there is an issue with kite gear. I am sure there is one or possibly two kiteboarding companies out there who have not swept things under the rug, but I could only guess as to which one(s). Every single COREporate kiteboarding company that I can think of off the top of my head has put BS out there for the kite community to swallow. North - 6PSI inflation on their kites is total BS as no one uses the kite at that low inflation. Best - defective parts and defective design of their chicken loop 2011-2013 no recall. Ozone - disintegrating stopper balls in cold weather on snow kites but no parts available and a US distributor who tells you to FO (well, ex-distributor anyway - circa 2009-2011 - so Graeme, heads up).

These companies don't give a s--t about us beyond their bottom line. Yes, there may be a few team riders or a previously involved owner that cares, but once the gear gets to us (after we give them money), we are sent to a warranty department who's goal is to keep warranty claims to a minimum.

I love that a free market gives access to gear that kite companies do all the R&D for. And the motivation for that expensive R&D is competition. No other system could have taken kiteboarding as far as it has come in the past 20 years. The other ways would not have worked. A fully controlled and planned economy would have yielded NO KITEBOARDING as it would have been deemed unnecessary. A fully regulated economy would have seen maybe one kiteboarding company with ridiculously expensive and lousy gear lacking innovation.

So we are in the best place for kiteboarding. But it is not a perfect and carefree situation. We have to be responsible and call out those COREporations that disregard our safety, the safety of bystanders, and access to our beaches that faulty gear poses a danger to. And since the COREporate mentality of nearly every kiteboarding COREporation is "Send money or f--k you", we have to provide a disincentive for them in sending us junk gear. Don't be a "super fan" as jumpy said. Call them out. We need to tell COREporate kiteboarding, "Send me reliable, safe, and durable gear for the money we send them, or f--k you - right back at ya". That is what the OP is doing, and some are rightly questioning him. But the warning has been issued. If someone else has this issue, do the right thing and let the kitboarding community know. You may take some heat here, but it could save your beach, or a beach you will visit one day - from having kiteboarding banned because a COREporation was more worried about their bottom line than the user.

And again, thanks to recoprianto for putting it more simply than I could have (see previous post).
That

That was a big text mate... But i totally agree. The problem with the post, imho, was the lack of maturity/profissionalism of some of the involved. I can’t comprehend how a company let it get that far, you know? Problems with warranty, parts, unsatisfied customers etc, are not exclusive of kitesurfing, but it is the first time that I see something like that going so far in public and becoming a person(s) to person problem, without the brand taking a pro active action to finish it. In my groups and local spots this became one of the main conversation theme, how ridiculous this “soap opera” become. Thats a big shame.
Oh i remember Graeme getting very upset when I posted a photo of a rider riding something else than Core on a thread he started that had nothing official about Core in it, was just talking about Kite jump record ...

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:35 pm

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:43 pm

about that dead horse...
just noticed that my safety line does not look safe at all anymore.
This is after 2 months of use after replacement (according to my paypal log I paid for replacement on June 3rd)
I sent message to my dealer.. hopefully they'll do the right thing and send me a free replacement, since 2 months is a little too short by any measures..
Especially if you count that it's summer in NYC and the winds are mild, to say optimistically :-D
I put the old line next to the chewed up new one (not sure if it's clear from the photo below), just to prove previous transaction.
Although I am pretty sure I can pull up dated invoice if needed..
20180821_101830 (1).jpg

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:47 pm

Be a grown up and talk to the dealer you bought it from, that’s more likely to get good will than adding to this thread

deniska
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deniska » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:32 pm

james wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:47 pm
Be a grown up and talk to the dealer you bought it from, that’s more likely to get good will than adding to this thread
thank you for you for your great advice, man..
shit, you are absolutely right! this is the first time it happened and I forgot to talk to the dealer!!!
Of wait, no! I keep changing those stupid lines every few months..
This is the same freaking line that snapped on me on a high jump exactly a year ago with kite ending up on a tree with a rip and me shitting my pants..
since that, this would be the third replacement (either I buy it or they replace for free)...
So yes I talked to my dealer (he is not exclusive to core, btw, so I trust his objectiveness.. we all see each other on the water so he knows I don't make things up)
I though this forum was about sharing experiences, both good and bad.
Keep wearing your rosy glasses and swiping things under the rug...
Are you CapitainCore? ;-)

WindJunkieFL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 165
Local Beach: Jacksonville Beach
Favorite Beaches: Caye Caulker Belize
Sunshine Skyway Bridge Florida
Style: Free rider
Gear: 13m Cabrinha Contra
11m Cabrinha Switchblade
11m Cabrinha AV8
9m Cabrinha Velocity
8m North Orbit
CrazyFly Raptor
CrazyFly Cruiser LW
Been thanked: 0

Postby WindJunkieFL » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:31 pm

Took me a half day to read through all of this, like watching Jerry Springer re-runs I couldn't look away at times. I've always been turned off by the cost of CORE kites, still am. If one of my new Cabrinha kites had a bridle issue after 9 months, I'd probably be a bit upset too, but I would expect that to be covered under warranty. In light of this thread, I went to Cabrinha's warranty page and found this (1 year, not bad!):

Cabrinha Kitesurfing warrants that this product, when it is purchased from an authorized Cabrinha Kitesurfing dealer by a retail customer, will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 1 year (Kites/Boards/Board Accessories)
(https://www.cabrinhakites.com/pages/warranty)

Looks like CORE's warranty is 6 months:
If more substantial damage attributable to defects relating to materials and workmanship arises within six (6) months after the conclusion of the contract of sale, such damage shall be repaired or replaced by Hiss-Tec free of charge.
(https://corekites.com/us/support/register)

I don't think any more or less of CORE given this thread, I'll just stick with Cabrinha and keep enjoying everyone's banter

Edit: Cabrinha's warranty on bars is 6 months, FWIW

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Has thanked: 0

Postby jeromeL » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:37 pm

deniska wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:43 pm
about that dead horse...
picture is totally out of focus, looks photoshop :lol: 8)

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:04 pm

WindJunkieFL wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:31 pm
Took me a half day to read through all of this, like watching Jerry Springer re-runs I couldn't look away at times. I've always been turned off by the cost of CORE kites, still am. If one of my new Cabrinha kites had a bridle issue after 9 months, I'd probably be a bit upset too, but I would expect that to be covered under warranty. In light of this thread, I went to Cabrinha's warranty page and found this (1 year, not bad!):

Cabrinha Kitesurfing warrants that this product, when it is purchased from an authorized Cabrinha Kitesurfing dealer by a retail customer, will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 1 year (Kites/Boards/Board Accessories)
(https://www.cabrinhakites.com/pages/warranty)

Looks like CORE's warranty is 6 months:
If more substantial damage attributable to defects relating to materials and workmanship arises within six (6) months after the conclusion of the contract of sale, such damage shall be repaired or replaced by Hiss-Tec free of charge.
(https://corekites.com/us/support/register)

I don't think any more or less of CORE given this thread, I'll just stick with Cabrinha and keep enjoying everyone's banter

Edit: Cabrinha's warranty on bars is 6 months, FWIW
That's interesting, manufacturer warranties certainly deserve a thread of their own!

deniska
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deniska » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:20 am

jeromeL wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:37 pm
deniska wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:43 pm
about that dead horse...
picture is totally out of focus, looks photoshop :lol: 8)
Funny dude Jerome..
I broke the rear camera on my samsung phone.. so tried to take a picture in a selfie mode.. not trying to hide anything.. I can take my wife's SLR and get you 4k res shots..
but you know me and that I am not trolling core w/o a reason ;-)
How's the baby? I guess keeps you busy, since I see you posting more than kiting :lol: :lol: :lol:

rickythecat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Dillon, Colorado ~ snow
Gear: CORE, EPIC

Postby rickythecat » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:53 am

Yes, I've also just spent the last hour or so reading through this entire thread. Looks like it's about to end, but thought I would add my own thoughts on CORE, since I've been using their kites for about 8 years now. Started with the original GT, upgrading each model to a current quiver the latest GTS and XR5s. That's a lot of kites. In 8 years, I have had exactly 3 issues with my equipment - Blown leading edge (probably my fault), worn brakeline (in my opinion, bad design, changed on new bars), and (topically) a worn/broken bridle line. My bridle line looked EXACTLY like the earlier shown picture. Though my breakage was do to user error - FYI, kite was attached to a snow anchor and went into a 'death roll', slamming against the surface probably a hundred times. So, very few issues to claim as a long time CORE user. And I use my kites a lot, including I would guess 70-80 days on the snow.

The evening of my bridle breakage I called the CORE distributor in Florida (about 6:00 my time in CO). Brett answered and took care of the issue. And yes, same as the original writer of this thread, I was somewhat taken aback by the need to have a bridle shipped from Germany and the price for shipping. I too, feel CORE should have these parts on hand in the states, but as someone pointed out later in this thread, that is a lot of different parts. Yes, there probably is room for improvement here, as another comment mentioned of maybe having parts on hand to cover current models.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I was back to using the same kite WITH the new bridle in less than a week! Cost now forgotten!

So, yes parts will wear out. There is a cost. If you are buying (what some think is) the most expensive brand, expect parts/maintenance to cost a little more). No different than autos.

To address the original thread, I have never had a bad experience with the personal at CORE. Also, of all the Core kites I've owned, including my XR4s and XR5s, never an issue with the bridles wearing.

Unfortunately, they do only have the few distributors in the U.S. and therefore, (understandably) shipping costs are just part of their business.

I will also mention, in full disclosure, that for years I was a 'brand ambassador' for Core. No longer the case as ironically, they no longer want (or need?) the support of riders unless they live near a distributor. Kind of a strange idea in the world of online marketing and purchasing.

Just wanted to add what I feel is an unbiased interaction from a long time user of Core Kites.

Return to “Kitesurfing”