Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

High wind kite?

Postby andylc » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:23 pm

So...foolishly or not I'm going to pick up my new Flysurfer Soul 8m on Saturday, meaning that the 12m and 8m will be my two main kites. I'm pretty confident that the wind ranges will work but think I still need an LEI for those crazy 30+ knot gusty days. I weigh 65kg so thinking 6m?? Up until now my smallest kite was a 7m. I mostly ride twin tip, sometimes strapless SB but haven't gone to the dark side of HF yet.

Anyway interested in recommendations, I was thinking either a wave kite like the Ozone Reo, but I do like to jump so the other option was a Naish Pivot. Lots of good offers on 2017 and 2018 Pivots although I can't see any 6m ones for sale. I don't think a 6m Soul would be a great option for the sorts of gusty stuff you usually get in high winds, although I'd be interested if anyone has tried one yet!

Cheers,

Andrew

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Re: High wind kite?

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:31 pm

Just get a 6 or 7m XR, big wind range and well behaved in gusty crappy winds.. eat more cookies to hold down another 10 knots haa haa ;)

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:59 am

If you like the Reo but want to jump as well why not the Ozone Enduro (V2). Has a wave setting and a jump setting on the front bridle as well.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:58 am

As my highwind kites for TT and SB I use the Naish Slash in 5 and 7. Although a dedicated wave kite it also jumps really good and is a lot of fun with the Twintip. In the larger sizes I use the Pivot. But small sizes of the Pivot (I had the 6 in the past) are also a good option.

If you are in Europe go to EBay Kleinanzeigen in Germany. A lot of little used Pivots in all sizes (and some Slash’s)

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:12 am

Dirk wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:58 am
As my highwind kites for TT and SB I use the Naish Slash in 5 and 7. Although a dedicated wave kite it also jumps really good and is a lot of fun with the Twintip. In the larger sizes I use the Pivot. But small sizes of the Pivot (I had the 6 in the past) are also a good option.

If you are in Europe go to EBay Kleinanzeigen in Germany. A lot of little used Pivots in all sizes (and some Slash’s)
I have Pivot's 5 & 7 for higher winds, they do the job well.

Edit: I'm 83 kg.
Last edited by BudhaNl on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:26 am

I'm 81kg and use a 6m Enduro V2 in 30+ knots on a TT. At 65kg you'll need to go smaller than 6m, and anything jumps well in 30+ knots!

bjw
Medium Poster
Gear: Best

Postby bjw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:55 am

You are right to consider a wave kite. They are designed to set and forget so they are great for high wind. Also consider the Eleveight WS. They probably have better top end than a Reo, which is ideal for high wind.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:14 am

At your weight, have you looked at the Airush range? They have a model designed specifically for lightweights. As you are talking about gusty days I'd have thought something designed to for a lightweight would be better than just a smaller kite designed for someone 20kgs heavier than you as you might avoid the 'no power - woah too much power' spikes you get with small kites designed for heavy riders.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:58 am

To which kite do you refer...??

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:37 pm

I'm talking about the Airush Diamond (http://airush.com/kites/diamond-3/)
It used to only come in manly grey and purple but it looks like the latest model has similar coral colours to the rest of the airush range this year.

I don't work in the industry but I have listened to the reps about the range and it makes sense. At 78kg I'm a little heavy to make a decent test of it (I think my weight would make it fly to the edge of the window too easily). Bear the weight of the tester in mind when looking at reviews as some might be disparaging simply because the tester is heavier than the intended user (seen this first hand with the North Dice - flies well for me but as soon as my 95kg mate got on it the wing tips start to flare)

Return to “Kitesurfing”