Attachments
20180811_150556.jpg

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Triple & quad ripstop

Postby sarc » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:21 am

Macster wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:25 am
So anecdotally, my friend's 2018 North Vegas still ripped its canopy in a crash. So maybe not the miracle fabric It's made out to be. Though apparently Naish were so happy with how well their new material stood up on last year's Torch that they were able to remove the dacron reinforcing on the wing tips and reduce some overall weight.
Same here
My 2012 North Rebel, used a lot, crashed / tomahawked / rolled in big waves a bunch of times: only a few small rips, (although the canopy is stretched; but still flies OK-ish)
A guy tomahawked his very little used 2018 Rebel in shoulder high waves a few weeks back - full canopy split from LE to TE. I was like WTF???
Canopy rip when tomahawking is NOT acceptable and for me reason to switch brands.
New canopy materials are very good for kite manufacturers - you'll need a new kite much sooner!

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:50 am

tautologies wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:18 pm
windmaker wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:45 pm
Another marketing gimmick I heard of lately is Naish advertising the "new" super strong thread used to stitch the leading edge or their kites. Thanks to this "innovation" you can now inflate your kite to 60 +psi. Whatever, thread strength has never been an issue on leading edges even with "traditional" threads, cloth failure yes. Talk about marketing, sounds more like desperation...
You make little sense right now. In one part you say that quality of the material makes the difference, and now that it's marketing. Isn't this a way to make material better? Or is it specifically the dacron?

Same thing goes for the new stronger and stiffer canopy. Naish said exactly how much weight it adds, but that they then could remote the dacron and the sum was a stronger more durable kite that was lighter. If your claim is that weight doesn't matter we'll never agree.

Now when it comes to how the threads are spaced out. Don't you think they have tested that? How does it makes sense that your intuition somehow is better than the people that actually design and produce this stuff?

Also, your blunt blade metaphor makes no sense. Especially since you also argue that the stronger thread makes no difference.

I tend top pump my kites hard, and I'm over the moon happy that naish increased their recommended PSI by this much.
Don't wish to get into an argument, call 20 years of sailmaking "intuition" if you please, just giving my point of view:
1 Specifically the quality of the Dacron.
2 Weight does matter'
3 Physics also apply to kitesurfing.
4 Increasing recommended air pressure is good, but it is not the thread, even the worst quality V92 has a 30kg + breaking strength. Never seen a leading edge failure because of weak thread. Bad stitching or cloth failure yes.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:42 am

windmaker wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:50 am

Don't wish to get into an argument, call 20 years of sailmaking "intuition" if you please, just giving my point of view:
1 Specifically the quality of the Dacron.
2 Weight does matter'
3 Physics also apply to kitesurfing.
4 Increasing recommended air pressure is good, but it is not the thread, even the worst quality V92 has a 30kg + breaking strength. Never seen a leading edge failure because of weak thread. Bad stitching or cloth failure yes.
Didn't mean to denigrate your experience. I'm assuming quantitative testing has been done on the cloth instead of anecdotal. My point on 4 is that given everything else the same making one of the variables better should overall have an impact. Increasing the strength one each of the components of a kite should have an impact. :)

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:02 pm

Not necessarily. Strengthening the weak point will help. Strengthening the strong point will probably make very little difference.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windmaker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:36 am

To be 100% objectif some kite manufacturers (don't know about the new Naish) are using thicker (not stronger) threads on their leading edge which is theoretically less likely to cut through the cloth.
Last edited by windmaker on Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windmaker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:37 am

To be 100% objectif some kite manufacturers (don't know about the new Naish) are using thicker (not stronger) threads on their leading edge which is theoretically less likely to cut through the cloth.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windmaker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:38 am

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:32 am

windmaker wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:38 am
Roughly speaking the strength of a thread is determined by the square of its thickness so for this to be the case a proportionally weaker thread would have to be used.

Return to “Kitesurfing”