Forum for kitesurfers
BarraGrande
Rare Poster
Gear: North Evo 12+8, Kitelement Resolve, Slingshot Space Skate Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Foil board compatibility

Postby BarraGrande » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:16 pm

Since I recently ran into the issue of foil and board compatibility, see below my findings. I did not find a single good source for that information.
Please add additional boards / foils if you have info!

Information refers to distance of baseplate screws (mm) and screws size. Track refers to variable lengths.

Slingshot Foil Baseplate: (multiple holes) 90x120, 90x140, 90x160; M8 screws

Naish boards: 90x140 or 90xTrack, M6 screws
Nobile Boards & Baseplate: 90x165, M6 screws
Shinn Jackson Board: 90xTrack, M6 screws
Slingshot boards: 90xTrack, M8 T-nut and screws
Liquid Force boards: 90xTrack, M8 T-nut and screws

M8 baseplates can be combined with M6 boards.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Re: Foil board compatibility

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:35 pm

It is somewhat surprising that boards with fixed plate mount holes are still alive in the context of healthy 90xTrack competition. Track boards can be relatively thin (e.g. LF Rocket), and if one wants even thinner board, then the solution is as simple as gluing or epoxying foilmount. Therefore, if anybody reading this bought non-track board in 2018, what was the reason?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:20 pm

fear of bolts? dont laugh it's a real thing.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:22 am

edt wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:20 pm
fear of bolts? dont laugh it's a real thing.
Huh?

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:55 am

tegirinenashi wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:35 pm
....Therefore, if anybody reading this bought non-track board in 2018, what was the reason?
I bought my last board in 2017, but you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to buy a track mount foil.

The main reason is that the manufacturer who makes my gear uses a deep Tuttle connection. I really like my gear so it would be very hard to get me onto a different product.

The other thing is that I fully disassemble my gear for every session. The deep Tuttle connection slots together and is held with two bolts. Two more bolts for the one piece foil and fuselage and I am off an riding. There's no fitting or sliding or messing about. Just slot, screw, go.

The masts have no flat plate on the top so they stack neatly in their bags in the car. I can fit them into the board bag with the board with a bit of a squeeze.

It's all carbon with stainless steel screws and barrel nuts. Zero corrosion. Absurdly light. Super strong. Ultra reliable. I feel sorry for people who use other gear.

BTW My gear is from J Shapes. https://www.jshapes.com/

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:55 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:35 pm
Track boards can be relatively thin (e.g. LF Rocket), and if one wants even thinner board, then the solution is as simple as gluing or epoxying Therefore, if anybody reading this bought non-track board in 2018, what was the reason?
It is faster and easier to mount using bolts into threaded inserts.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:57 pm

My only theoretical gripe with track mount is the daily fiddling when mounting. Can you get the little slider bolts to stay put full time? Or do you need to fiddle lining everything up every time to get them threaded before tightening? I’m talking about the lining up of each bolt to its sliding nut.

As long as you have your placement sorted, stationary threaded inserts are super quick, same spot every time....Place foil drop in bolt and tighten

Tracks seem great for getting thing dialed in, but once you figure that out, they don’t get any quicker or convenient for daily set up.

I get the idea of flexibility to change foils and wings, but I have two wings that ride perfectly mounted in the same spot. By the time
People get down to little picket boards they have often figured out their preferences and stance so adjustability is less important wrt easy assembly.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:21 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:57 pm
My only theoretical gripe with track mount is the daily fiddling when mounting. Can you get the little slider bolts to stay put full time? Or do you need to fiddle lining everything up every time to get them threaded before tightening? I’m talking about the lining up of each bolt to its sliding nut.
I never detach bolts from the T nuts. With just one rotation I loosen the bolt, then slide them off the open plate holes.

Also, as soon as I figured out mast position, I squeezed some foam into the unused track area; first and foremost, into the center of the tracks. Therefore, nuts with attached bolts would never fall off when foil is detached.

On a related note, did anybody modded their carbon plate to have the holes open? I wonder if, unlike aluminum, open holes would make carbon plate ends prone to cracking.

Return to “Kitesurfing”