Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Airush Kiteboarding - By Innovators For Innovators & AWSI Kite Brand of the Year

Forum for kitesurfers
windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Re: Airush Kiteboarding - By Innovators For Innovators & AWSI Kite Brand of the Year

Postby windmaker » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:14 am

NorCalNomad wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:45 am
How much did they pay for that award?
And where is the innovation?

gwechall
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tarifa
Style: smooth
Gear: Ozone Reos / Enduros
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush Kiteboarding - By Innovators For Innovators & AWSI Kite Brand of the Year

Postby gwechall » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:44 am

First of all i don't own any Airush kite (used to) and i 'm a school / rental manager working with North / Duotone.
Now about Airush inovations:
2006/7 airush DNA, first real delta kite (f-one bandit launch 2007/8 ) with rounded shape and real auto-relaunch
2010/11 Airush one, first one strut kite (real size kite, not trainer kite), now a day one strut is like the revolution...
2012/13 Airush Lithium Zero, first "big brand" designing a strutless kite

Kite construction with dynema / aramid lines
Ultra kite, really lightweight hydrofoil/wave kite

And yes airush didn't start "early" with the hydrofoil but, when they did it they didn't launch a crapy wallmart hydrofoil like LF, Cab, naish but they re-brand a really nice Radical hydrofoil...

So personally i still think that Airush is an innovators brand and i wish that more brands worked like them instead of just copying other brands or just open a book of chinese shape and change colors!

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:08 pm

gwechall wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:44 am
First of all i don't own any Airush kite (used to) and i 'm a school / rental manager working with North / Duotone.
Now about Airush inovations:
2006/7 airush DNA, first real delta kite (f-one bandit launch 2007/8 ) with rounded shape and real auto-relaunch

The name Dalta c shape kite was invented and patented by F-one. For that matter my first 2 line Wipika free air was also rounded shape and auto relaunched.
2010/11 Airush one, first one strut kite (real size kite, not trainer kite), now a day one strut is like the revolution...

Not sure about this one, but a revolution? Some hydrofoilers and a few wave riders use them, that' s it. I like them.

2012/13 Airush Lithium Zero, first "big brand" designing a strutless kite

Small brands don't count?

Kite construction with dynema / aramid lines

Does it make any significant difference others should copy?

Ultra kite, really lightweight hydrofoil/wave kite

Most 1 strut kites on the market are light and are good in waves or hydrofoil where is the innovation?

And yes airush didn't start "early" with the hydrofoil but, when they did it they didn't launch a crapy wallmart hydrofoil like LF, Cab, naish but they re-brand a really nice Radical hydrofoil...

Re brand= zero effort, besides Jerome Caillet hydrofoil has been ready for them to copy for over 3 years...

So personally i still think that Airush is an innovators brand and i wish that more brands worked like them instead of just copying other brands or just open a book of chinese shape and change colors!

True innovations are few and far in between. Some brands try harder than others but one thing is sure many just follow the trends.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:32 am

Kite brand= Biggest Donor. As in AWSI Biggest Donor of the Year

The restaurant awards of kiting. A new low in kite industry marketing.

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:17 pm

Hahaha. Don't know where Foilholio gets his (alternative) facts, but I can say for certain that Airush is not the biggest "donor" to AWSI. They paid the same dues as any other brand. They just killed it in 2018 and the industry wanted to recognize it.

Also, for the record, the AWSI puts on the awards but it's the media partners who vote on/decide the winner.

The awards are meant to be fun and inclusive, a way of recognizing the hard work and innovation that a brand has put in throughout the year. I'm stoked for Airush and the whole crew. They deserve it.

-Dan

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:51 am

Thanks Dan, I guess it's Airush= Biggest Ad Campaign of 2018 or is that 2017? maybe it's 2016, never know with the year thing you guys do.

So I am guessing Duotone will be the next winner? All that money spent dressing Do Do Tons up has to have a pay back.

Fun and inclusive are parties, industry payed awards are marketing.

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:24 pm

Hahaha... "fun and inclusive are parties"... What do you think I meant by "AWSI puts on the awards"? We rented the local Elks club, got Kona brewing (thanks everyone at Kona!!!) to donate 6 kegs, and invited everyone in town. Then we got loud and crazy and handed out awards.

Duotone also hosted a party that week, hired a band, free booze, free beer, a mechanical bull, and a party bus from town. We made invitations and made sure to invite all the locals. Photos from that party here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/duotonekite ... 8171981396

Naish, Slingshot, and Dakine did their own version of the same thing. All fun, all inclusive. Don't be sad that you missed out.

As far as "biggest ad campaign", thanks for another alternative fact. The real fact is that Airush was outspent on media partners by many other brands. They did good work last year and AWSI recognized them for it.

-Dan

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:56 pm

So are you saying Airush designed better kites than Duotone? And Duotone is less innovative than Airush? And the brands that sell more of the worse kites also spend more on marketing?

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lokihel » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:10 am

foilholio wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:56 pm
So are you saying Airush designed better kites than Duotone? And Duotone is less innovative than Airush? And the brands that sell more of the worse kites also spend more on marketing?
You're bored, aren't you?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:19 am

lol

No just trying get to the bottom of this stupid award.

Return to “Kitesurfing”