Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Heliloops turn into kiteloops

Postby dksurfer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:03 am

simple, just pull in the bar all the way in and crank it hard when the kite is above you.

zig zag
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cook St Victoria BC Canada
Favorite Beaches: Nitinat Lake, Cook St
Style: Free
Gear: 5/7/9.5/12 Prodigy, 8 Razor
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo
Has thanked: 0

Postby zig zag » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:41 pm

I don't think you want to kite loop or up loop to start... try to down loop on your landings and you'll get that second of lift and land super softly..

once boosted into the stratosphere and you are coming down nearing the water DOWN loop your kite... meaning pull your leading hand in the direction of travel prior to launching. (pulling your back hand will up loop the kite) the down loop provides lift and if used for a transition you'll look pretty awesome... as you would normally boost then redirect the kite try the loop and you'll find it provides that redirect initially then as it continues around provides a heliloop which means the kite is directly overhead.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:25 pm

madsthirsgaard wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:06 am
I hav decided that the next step in my progress is to learn how to heliloop just before my landing to soften it up a bit, but everytime I try it the heliloop turns into a kiteloop and I'm flying downwind. Do I pull the bar too hard or too soft, at the wrong time or is my kite just not suitable for it (Naish Ride)? Any suggestions are welcome.
zig zag wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:41 pm
once boosted into the stratosphere and you are coming down nearing the water DOWN loop your kite... meaning pull your leading hand in the direction of travel prior to launching. (pulling your back hand will up loop the kite) the down loop provides lift and if used for a transition you'll look pretty awesome... as you would normally boost then redirect the kite try the loop and you'll find it provides that redirect initially then as it continues around provides a heliloop which means the kite is directly overhead.
+1

Not really a tutorial but I tried to collect a few example of "landing loop" to illustrate different scenarios where you loop the kite and land softly.
You can do it on any kite it's just that some kite are more or less forgiving about improper technique.
In the video there are some extreme kite movement that illustrate pretty well how your body pendelum under kite prior to landing loop.

Depending on kite type and how strong wind is many things will work but as wind gets stronger or got more aggressive kite then proper "landing loop" technique is important.

All advise around looping after apex of jump can work in some example but that's not really best advise.

Main thing you want to achieve is to loop the kite overhead and that usually requires you to be swinging under the kite as you loop it.
How can you swing under kite?
1) bad timing on take off and you still got plenty of forward speed, then you can do a late kiteloop, in most case that will be quite soft
2) just did a megaloop, obivously plenty of downwind speed, as you get under kite go for a second loop. though there is a bit more to it on how to position kite for max lift, prior to pulling loop.
3) i will skip the scenario where you got bad pop and just hover downwind/ kind of like 1)
4) assuming you got nice pop, going mostly straitght up:
Here you got plenty of tension in line even after apex of jump, so you certainly don't want to do any kind of loop just then.
either you want to land in transition or not:
4)a) going for downloop landing loop:
As you jump keep kite really far back, you will pendelum up, Keep kite slighly back until after apex, then you will slowly pendulum back toward direction you came, and you will get under kite. That's when you moderatly start pulling front hand and as you get fully under kite you pull harder, cranking bar harder.

5)b) pretty much symmetrical:
Init your jump sending kit back with nice pop, then You pull front hand slightly or agrressively a bit before apex to bring kite forward, this will send you forward and you will pendelum under kite. then you pull back hand for a kiteloop. your body and tension in the kite should be exact opposite of 4)a), so downloop or kiteloop doesn't actually matter, it's all about body, kite positions and line tension ...

madsthirsgaard
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Handbjerg Marina, Kloster
Favorite Beaches: Handbjerg Marina, Kloster, Nibe, Gjøl, Skaven, Hullet, Vigsø, Ahl, Skæring
Style: Freeride, Big Air
Gear: 12m Naish Ride, 10m Naish Ride, 7m Naish Ride, 12m Naish Torch, 10m Naish Torch
Been thanked: 0

Postby madsthirsgaard » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks guys, all of this has been very helpful!

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster

Postby gibsonandpickett » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:30 am

Front loop it and you will land very softly but you need to initiate loop(depending on kite size)Approx 4 meters before landing. I do this even on my biggest kite. A 16 meter nitro 4

Return to “Kitesurfing”