Gear: Fone bandit
Liquid force Envy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish Pivot vs Fone Bandit

Postby williamkros » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi Everyone

I am currently flying a 2016 Bandit 9m. I weight 75kg and use the 9m mostly in Blouberg in winds ranging from 16 - 25 knots. I mostly like boosting and started learning to loop a few months back.

I am considering buying either a 2018 Bandit or a 2018 Pivot, and I'm looking to buy a 10m.

A few of my concerns, I have read that the Pivot has a great low-end, so I was hoping to get some insight on it's top-end specifically because I'm looking to go from a 9m-10m? Also the bandit is very responsive and the loops are easy (for a beginner at least), would the Pivot be the same?

And then just in general is the Pivot a good booster and if you can compare the two kites, any general feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Re: Naish Pivot vs Fone Bandit

Postby Dirk » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:32 pm

I am riding Pivots and rode a friends Bandit (10m, I think the 2017 version) once. Liked the Bandit also. Would not mind to have a quiver of those.
The Pivots have a very good low end but they do not have a wider range than other kites. So you can ride 1m smaller (which is nice) and have the same range.
I am the same weight, in your windrange 16-25 with 20knots as sweet spot I am riding my 8m (My quiver: 11m/8m Pivot, 7m/5m Slash)

Compared to the Bandit I would go one size down on the Pivot. The Bandit has more C-shape and the Pivot is a somewhat more open. I also have a Naish Dash(C-Hybrid) in 9m and my 8m Pivot has a similar range.

Pivots are great jumpers and are every well suited to learn kiteloops (Personally, I am only doing heliloops).

Here is a facebook link to a 2019 Naish dealer meeting where quite a lot of insights to the kites (and boards) are given:

https://www.facebook.com/kitesurfing.ma ... f=mentions

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:06 pm

williamkros wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:35 pm
Hi Everyone

I am currently flying a 2016 Bandit 9m. I weight 75kg and use the 9m mostly in Blouberg in winds ranging from 16 - 25 knots. I mostly like boosting and started learning to loop a few months back.

I am considering buying either a 2018 Bandit or a 2018 Pivot, and I'm looking to buy a 10m.

A few of my concerns, I have read that the Pivot has a great low-end, so I was hoping to get some insight on it's top-end specifically because I'm looking to go from a 9m-10m? Also the bandit is very responsive and the loops are easy (for a beginner at least), would the Pivot be the same?

And then just in general is the Pivot a good booster and if you can compare the two kites, any general feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
I can't help you much with the Bandit comparison. My Bandit was so long ago it has little to do with the current ones. I do know a bit about the Pivot tho.

I think it has great range. I rode my 9 to well over 30 knots. I do weight more than you, but I think it has great range. I also think one of the standout features is that it feels controllable and rideable in higher ranges.
Both the 10 and 9 are monster boosters, but the 10 is extraordinary IMO.

It's great to loop on. It's also very controllable in that you can totally let out some power whenever you need to.

I'm sure you've seen this, but the master at work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uYPknhKwog

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi,

Cant help with the Bandit comparison, but can comment on the top end of the pivot.
I weight 90kg and my 10m pivot is rideable up to 32-35 knots, from there on it gets a bit dificult to steer it due to the slack on the back lines, but overall it is an amazing kite.
Regarding Kiteloops it is an easy kite to loop due to the moderate pull and fast loops it makes.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Any one else? I have 2018 bandit in the 11m and do really like it. I need to get another 9m and was gong to get a bandit 2019 but there are some really really good deals on pivot 2018’s about at the moment.
Am particularly interested in turning speed comparison and hangtine in the two. I am not after a big hanging kite as I know both these two are not made for that and those types are a little slow. I like a faster turning kite but want a little more hang as well.

Kiterisland
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kite, Twin tip

Postby Kiterisland » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:21 pm

juanpasala wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:32 pm
Hi,

Cant help with the Bandit comparison, but can comment on the top end of the pivot.
I weight 90kg and my 10m pivot is rideable up to 32-35 knots, from there on it gets a bit dificult to steer it due to the slack on the back lines, but overall it is an amazing kite.
Regarding Kiteloops it is an easy kite to loop due to the moderate pull and fast loops it makes.
Hey jaunpasala. With your weight what is the lowend if you ride a board like the airush sector or a foil board?

tilmann
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: St.Peter-Ording
Style: highspeedcarving
Gear: highspeedcarving board + 7m Slingshot Machine
Brand Affiliation: www.highspeedcarving.com

Postby tilmann » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Dirk wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:32 pm
Here is a facebook link to a 2019 Naish dealer meeting where quite a lot of insights to the kites (and boards) are given:

https://www.facebook.com/kitesurfing.ma ... f=mentions
Did he really say 60(!) PSI ? :o

PusherII
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ostia beach
Favorite Beaches: El Portillo, Las Terranas
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Core XR5

Postby PusherII » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:12 pm

I think pivot is little more oriented in grunty/low end and freeride, and bandit is more all around kite, just because it also offers unhook skills. And you pay this with less low end

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Kiterisland wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:21 pm
juanpasala wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:32 pm
Hi,

Hey jaunpasala. With your weight what is the lowend if you ride a board like the airush sector or a foil board?
Hey man,

Kite top end on twintip is arround 30-35knt, but thats the upper limit and you ll be feeling quite overpowered (dont recoment riding on those conditions). The low end of the kite is not amazing, i d say you need at least 15 knots to get going and 18-20 to ride consistently (changes depending on the board you use, i m talking abount a 138-40 twintip.
I cannot talk about directional riding, but with the Foil you can get going from 10-12 knots, rides nicelly upwing, turns quicklly for your gybes, and drifts very nicelly so you can go downwind with a nice angle, only limit here is when you ride a racing hydrofoil, as the drift is not able to keep up wit the speed you gain, and when you ride upwind with a very high angle the kite tends to overreach on the wind window and looses traction. But for those conditions you ll normally be riding a foil kite... so for all arround foiling and freeriding it is an amazing piece of equipment.
These users thanked the author juanpasala for the post:
Kiterisland (Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:40 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

lsimoes
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Figueira da Foz, Foz do Arelho, Viana do Castelo, Nova Vaga, Guincho
Favorite Beaches: anything that have wind
Style: Wavesurf, freeride, freestyle
Gear: Naish Park, Pivot, Draft
Nobile twin-tip, North surfboard

Postby lsimoes » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:03 am

Hello
I try the bandit a few times, and always find the kite very tecnhical to ride, maybe for lack of experience in F-ones.
I ride Naish Pivot since the came out, and my most use one is the 10m. my weight is 85kg.
I ride with a North whip 56 or brunoti youri zoon 140.
my low end is 13-14 knts, when everybody is on 12m, i still ride with the 10m, blasting waves.
My upper limit is the 25-30 knts, above that, I can still ride, but if i make a mistake, it´s over. normaly above that I ride de 8m, or the 6m.
I stil have the Helix 7m and park 5m.
I like the Pivot 10m so much that a I have 2, and a 10m Park.

You can see what Kevin does with it, althoug he is a pro, and not so many can do what he does.

I hope i can help.

Return to “Kitesurfing”