Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Different Bar Widths - Explained

Forum for kitesurfers
clydesdale
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Different Bar Widths - Explained

Postby clydesdale » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:45 pm

yeah now do a graphic for a 57cm width bar math. it get's old having to fully crank a 49cm bar to fly a 14m slow turning rebel.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:37 pm

More ralf groesel rubbish (RGR).

Thanks for the graphic of the do do tons clickclack bar. You can really see how it pinches the center line. No way that thing is going to slide like that. Who every designed that bit should be fired.

As to the article why so complicated? Wider bars make kites turn quicker, more responsive and can increase the bar pressure turning. That's it. I read old clueless ralf deny the turning thing, but then proves it in a graphic. What is the point? Oh is that expensive as hell do do tons bar have a fixed width? Poor do do tons, you made your bed now sleep in it. Stop trying to misinform people to get in with you.

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:13 am

Is it difficult for you to type 'duotone'? It makes your comment look really childish, it's hard to take you serious then ;) .

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:49 pm

Strange to hear it from north-duotone about importance of bar width for click bar. Where they were on 2017 and 2018 click bars which were released in ony one size that time :)? Was all right go fly from 4meter to 17 meters kites with click bars 2017 and 2018 :)??? Now is not :)?
Last edited by a99 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:20 pm

a99 wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:49 pm
Strange to hear it from north-duotone about importance of bar width for click bar. Where they were on 2017 and 2018 click bars which were released in ony one size that time :)? Was all right go fly from 4meter kite to 17 meter with click bars 2017 and 2018 :)??? Now is not :)?
You are correct.They only had the one size bar so it was the proper bar for all size kites.Once they introduced the larger bar it became neccesary to have 2 bars.The 2 bars are now the optimal setup until the 3rd size bar comes out next year,got it?

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:33 pm

42cm....49cm.....yes... they will explain a 3rd one eventually.....56cm

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:45 pm

He is right though a bigger bar does not make a kite turn faster. Turning speed on a kite has more to do with kite design than bar width. More leverage just helps turn slower turning/bigger kites.

I'm not a big fan of the adjustable bars. To me it's just something else that can break. All so when I travel I would rather have 2 bars so if anything goes wrong with one I have a back up or spare parts with the second one.

Now I will say it is wrong to blast guy for stating the facts about bar width. Just because you don't like the idea of owning 2 bars or paying for 2 bars that honestly there is no way they cost close to 500$ to produce. By all means flame the shit out of him for the giant load of marketing BS which I can not stand and is disgustingly rampant in this sport.

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:27 am

A. We have an adjustable width bar, the Trust Bar Quad Control. As far as I'm aware we were the first to market with an adjusatable width bar (at least as far back as 2005). Also, for the record, that 2005 bar is still fully compatible with every 2019 Duotone kite (as well as every NKB kite that came before it). That's pretty significant backwards-compatibility for a brand that supposedly only cares about selling more bars.

B. We released the Click bar in a single size originally because molds (and especially the ones for those bars) are very expensive. I think it's pretty reasonable for a brand to test the market with a single size and then expand their offering once they prove that the market exists.

C. Yes, Ralf is a little over-the-top by insisting that his kites don't fly as well on the 'wrong' size bar. Both Ralf and Ken have strong feelings about how to get the utmost performance from a kite (if Ken had his way all of his kites would still have LE battens and multi-point inflation). They're kite designers. This is their passion and their job, of course they care about this kind of thing. Personally I ride one size bar with all my kites and I'm happy with it and I'm pretty sure most guys I know are the same. However, for those who are curious about how kite size/shape interacts with bar width, Ralf wrote this little piece, and I'm sure there are those who are interested in it (including myself).

If I had to choose a kite designer, it would be one who understands and cares passionately about something so esoteric as the detailed interplay between bar width and kite size.

Don't care about it? I don't blame you. But I'm happy that Ralf does.

-Dan

Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Postby Barryg101 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:33 am

You the man Dan !

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:47 am

TheJoe wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:45 pm
He is right though a bigger bar does not make a kite turn faster.
Is Ralf the idiot or are you? It is getting hard to tell at this point.

Let me state a few simple FACTs.

Turn speed relates to the AMOUNT of a rear line pulled, the more a rear line is pulled the faster a kite turns.

A larger bar pulls more of a rear line.

Therefore a larger bar makes a kite turn faster.

Now there is some conditions I could throw in there, but I am trying to expand it and also keep it simple so your brain can digest it. Or maybe like Ken or Ralph I just need to write pages and pages littered with rubbish and you will swallow it whole? Somewhere someone is laughing about this, hopefully it's not Ken or Ralph, because that would be quite sick. I tend to think of them as a bit stupid rather than evil.
Dan-at-Duotone wrote: Both Ralf and Ken have strong feelings about how to get the utmost performance from a kite
Then why do they argue against foil kites so much? Your statement is in contradiction of the facts. If they really care about performance they would have foil kites. They don't so they either don't care for performance or don't understand it (stupid).

Return to “Kitesurfing”