Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hacks for an older, poorly performing kite?

Forum for kitesurfers
wedge
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Hacks for an older, poorly performing kite?

Postby wedge » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:19 pm

So I put up an older kite the other day. Perfect wind. I probably could have gotten away going one size smaller. The kite felt baggy and slow and I could not stay up wind, even though I had plenty of power. Then I remembered the kite feeling baggy the last time I had it out. This was my go-to kite for a few years. Probably 200 sessions on it.

So, do I need a new kite? New bridle? Any ideas?

Thanks

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Hacks for an older, poorly performing kite?

Postby BWD » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:36 am

Try tuning it at the bar to make sure it is not being choked by bridle or line stretch etc.
does it fly better with an inch or so of depower trim? If so maybe problemIs simply lines.
If it is maybe kinda better but still not right when trimmed a little, perhaps bridle?... etc.
200 sessions is a lot but I have a kite with probably as many and it flies fine, so don’t give upon it too easily.
And that kite has a bridle with fewer sessions on it. Had already been replaced before I bought it used!

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:42 am

And the kite is a ...

wedge
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby wedge » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:39 am

UPDATE - It turns out the old kite was actually 5 years old, so probably 300-400 hours on it. Where does the time go?

So I bought a new kite, same make and model and put them side by side. The differences were stark. The older kite fabric felt soft and pliable like a bed sheet compared to the crisp/stiff new kite fabric. The trailing edge was floppy and the canopy was clearly stretched. No wonder it was performing poorly. Riding over powered, UV damage, sand in the bag, just plain old age I guess. I flew the new one today and I remembered why I loved this brand.

So I guess the message is; yes, kites get old and stretched and baggy. If you have a kite that you used to love, but are now hating, maybe get a new version of the same kite. It worked for me!

Return to “Kitesurfing”