Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Re: Beginner kite- Core XR5 or Naish Pivot

Postby CaptainCore » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:36 pm

Both great kites, but factually not the same genre to compare The XR5 is a five strut kite and the Pivot three, so there is a price and build difference. 5 strut kites generally have a greater wind range than three so all things being equal you can get away with fewer of them to build a quiver. Lots of beginners here in the UK going for XR5s simply because you don't stay a beginner forever and the XR5 offers a very fast learning curve with great upside, yes they cost more, but they also deliver.

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 100kg
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 2019 Naish Pivot 8m
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Chicken-loop » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:55 am

I have had a 12m XR5 for about a year now and at first I was disappointed with it and called it boring, but I came to realize it was refined....It did everything smoother than my last kite and no nasty habits or surprises. I would not call it the fastest kite, or the quickest turning kite, or the most feedback, but I really do like it. However a month ago ( I had money burning a hole in my pocket ) I purchased a 2019 Naish Pivot in an 8m that I didn't really need. I have unpacked it and gone over it but I am yet to fly it.

XR5 Positive are;-
-Leading edge and strut material is next level. Better than the Naish
-Canopy material is nice, but the Naish seems better.
-Extremely stable, probably due to leading edge material.
-Exceptional upwind ability
-Construction is impeccable with barely a wrinkle in the canopy when you fly it.
-Good wind range.
-Light bar pressure
-Bar auto untwist is awesome

XR5 Negatives are ( and some of these are just opinion );-
-Twist quick release.
-The bar doesn't seem worth the money, however it does function without you even noticing anything annoying. I prefer the Naish bar.
-Bar needs a longer depower stroke to access all the depower the kite has to offer.
-Kite is heavy and tends to want to turn down towards the water more than others I have owned.
-Not the quickest turning kite.
-Could do with more feedback.
-Doesn't drift as well as I hoped.

I was going to get smaller XR5, but decided to give the Pivot a go, so only time will tell which becomes my favorite. I don't think you could go wrong with either. But the advice to get a cheap kite first is good advice, because you smash the shi* out of your first kite. But if you have the coin, just get what you want.

Cheers,

Chicken-loop

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:09 am

Begginers Used kite any brand, Crash it bash it rip it puncture it invert it tree park it..
Learn your skills
Then start thinking about a New kite and demo if possible..

jpbrazan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Texas City
Favorite Beaches: Shurabaad (Azerbaijan)
Style: Freeride, Big Air, Foil
Gear: Core, Slingshot, Naish
Been thanked: 0

Postby jpbrazan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:30 pm

I ride a Core XR3 and love it. I don't think all that much has changed in the subsequent models. Just keep in mind that Core bars have a high Y setup...different than the mostly industry standard low V. So if ever you want to buy another brand kite you'll probably have to buy another bar as well. You can use it with kites designed for low V but may have issues. I used it with a Slingshot RPM and noticed the kite doing strange things at times (the leading edge would bend and get stuck - assuming this was due to the pinching caused by the front line split being closer to the kite). Not really an issue if you're in it for the long haul as you'll probably end up with loads of bars but just something to be aware of.

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Real have been pushing Core kites hard lately, probably because they cost more. Find a well taken care of 2 year old kite for 60-65% off list and beat the hell out of it. Pivots are fine.

tkachuk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 75 kilos
Local Beach: Squamish, Nitinat (formerly: Cherry Beach, Allanwood, Presquil)
Favorite Beaches: Presquil (Ontario), Long Bay Turks, Silver Sands Barbados, OBX, Key Biscayne Florida
Style: boosting, carving my jibes, waves on TT
Gear: CORE, Shinn

Postby tkachuk » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:20 am

Avoid the light wind (LW) XR kites, (15m and bigger) as your first kite since these have less durable canopies than many other comparable kites. After four years of beach self-launches, tomahawks and lots of UV exposure, my 15m XR4 LW started to disintegrate so much that I could poke holes thru the kite with my fingers in most places. Despite the premature aging, it was a great kite, especially on low wind days.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:42 am

Also, about the Core, the LW are light wind specific, that means a different AR and AOA and a lighter weigth (=less durable as tkachuk says). The 15 it's not a bigger 12, it's designed for light wind. If the wind picks up, it can be a nightmare for a beginner.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:03 am

Core replacement parts aren’t readily available and you will most likely spend copious amounts of money on shipping.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:18 am

I have no problem recommending Pivot for a beginner. Several friends started off with the Pivot as their first kite. It is also a kite that can take you as far as you want to go given that the kite won the Red Bull King of the Air this year. I don't know the XR5 so I got nothing there.

Seabizzle
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Woodmans point, Leighton, Cottesloe, Scarborough
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui, Augusta Western Australia, Lancelin Western Australia
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: BWS Noise pro 10m, BWS noise classic 6m, Naish Fly 17m, Wainman Gambler 5'10"(R.I.P.) North Pro series 6'2, unidentified twin tip

Postby Seabizzle » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:55 am

Definitely go the pivot over the xr5, 3 struts vs 5 equals better stability and easier to use, easier for a beginner, also pivot is a better all-rounder when you consider it's pretty decent in waves as well

The pivot is more popular and common therefore easier to find second hand and easier to resell

Return to “Kitesurfing”