2018 Axis Limited/Vanguard

Forum for kitesurfers
POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

2018 Axis Limited/Vanguard

Postby POACHER » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:59 pm

Wondering if anyone here owns or has demo'ed the 2018 Limited or Vanguard from Axis? I know they changed again for this year - somewhat abandoning the Fat Rail, changing rocker and revising the bottom shaping. (less)
I really liked the 2014 Limited I had. (shouldn't have sold it...) However after reading some reviews that people didn't care for the Fat Rail I didn't buy another.

I'm tentative to buy without a test ride. Changing the rocker and bottom is the biggest question mark. I loved how fast and locked in the '14 felt. It was great in chop and could boost great too. Hoping they still have a similar ride.
So now on version 3.0, looking for some feedback.

THX!

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2018 Axis Limited/Vanguard

Postby Windigo1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:15 am

Could not agree more I have the 2014 and I haven't found a better board yet so I kept it!

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby toyletbowl » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:21 am

Poach.....I have the 148 and 134 as a demo if you want to swing down Madison and try one or buy it and if you don't like it, I'll take it back.

Pretty much no risk.

Going to OBX in Oct?

Hope they all survive this week.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:36 pm

toyletbowl wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:21 am
Poach.....I have the 148 and 134 as a demo if you want to swing down Madison and try one or buy it and if you don't like it, I'll take it back.

Pretty much no risk.

Going to OBX in Oct?

Hope they all survive this week.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

Bob,
Yeah I was hoping you'd chime in on this post! Truth be told a couple friends and I bought Axis boards after we met up with you in Hatteras 2013. We remember you ripping through the crowds super fast, flying upwind and boosting big. Mike bought a a Vanguard from you shortly thereafter. I rode his Vanguard that spring in Texas (right after I got a new NHP Carbon....) and it was all over at that point. I hocked my NHP on Ebay and bought a demo Limited from Kitty Hawk. Great board, never should have sold it. Been riding some random stuff since then, but still think the Limited has the best blend of speed, chop ride, edge and actually not bad in the light wind lulls.

I'll for sure hit you up on a demo this fall. I'm probably between those sizes. Too fat for the 134 and not fat enough for the 148. Looking for a 136. I'll dial one up from you this fall or winter. Going to offload my current ride soon!

What's your thoughts on the the 2018 vs. everything prior? Change for the better?
Funny I see all the twin tip racers riding 2015 Axis Limiteds. Must have been something special about them!

PM inbound!

Thank you!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:37 am

I've got a 2018, 142x44. Had 140x43 2013 and 2015 models too.

Medium rails, less aggressive channels/spines. Notice less resistance when sliding a transition but I think this board tracks better through chop. A little less harsh through the chop too, a little softer maybe, but that might just be that the board is bigger and longer...

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:50 am

Kamikuza wrote: I've got a 2018, 142x44. Had 140x43 2013 and 2015 models too.

Medium rails, less aggressive channels/spines. Notice less resistance when sliding a transition but I think this board tracks better through chop. A little less harsh through the chop too, a little softer maybe, but that might just be that the board is bigger and longer...
I own a 134 Limited latest model and I pretty much agree with this. Board does feel softer but has amazing pop and as usual looks great. I tried back to back with some other brand boards and you definitely feel the thought and work behind the AXIS limited.
And yes I am biased, so take my advise as you will.

Ced

Return to “Kitesurfing”