Forum for kitesurfers
aolive
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hua Hin - Used gear market

Postby aolive » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:31 pm

My wife and I are headed to Hua Hin, Thailand in February. We are faced with the question of do we travel light and rent gear or bring gear with us. When we went to Brazil we brought our gear and sold it the day we left. Is there a good slightly used market in Thailand? Not sure what the imports are like and if kites are super expensive or certain brands are really hard to get. We would be happy buying new gear, using it on our trip and then selling it to someone or to a school/business if they wanted. Not looking to make money, but if it helped pay for our trip a bit we would be into that.

What's the used market like in Thailand?
Are there many buyers?
Is it worth the hassle or just rent on the days we want to kite?

Thanks!

NorthRider69
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Paros, Naxos, Qatar, Oman
Style: free ride , freestyle , wave
Gear: Dice , Vegas, Duotone Whip, Gambler
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hua Hin - Used gear market

Postby NorthRider69 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:50 am

Hi,
there are several shops and KiteSchools in Hua Hin where you can buy or rent quality equipment or have lessons. Reach out to them for second hand deals, I am sure they are selling .It will cost you about 100USD on average per day to rent kite and Twin tip . You can find brand new Duotone ( North) rentals and Bandits ( F-One) in the main kite-schools.
I've only recently moved here but from what I have observed , the private second hand market is not that good , since I've seen people asking too much for 8-10 year old twin tips and old beaten up kites , so try the shops. Wind Conditions are pretty good Nov-March and water can get crowded with a lot of kiters. . Huahin Beach is 5km long so plenty of space . Best advice bring along your own gear or avoid the hassle and just rent and support the local schools . If you plan on renting , I suggest to bring your own harness . Nothing worse than not have the right harness on the water.

Have fun :D
NorthRider

PS: There is even a wake-park in Hua Hin for no-wind days .

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:35 am

I think it is different from Brazil, since gear is cheaper in Thailand.
From what I remember tourists bought in Thailand and took it home with them.

In Brazil it’s the other way around due to 80% important tax.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:49 am

Toby wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:35 am
In Brazil it’s the other way around due to 80% import tax.
80%? Wow!

lightwind
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: SC Lahor, Kotor
Gear: Gong strutless 10, Gong Unik 6.8, Blade Skinny boy 5m, Gong foil M pro wing, Gong foil board 3CS 4.6, Gong Neutra V2 5 m, Gong HIPE pro 5.1

Postby lightwind » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:56 pm

In KBA schools in hua Hin you can buy new kites and boards from Cabrinha, Airush, and some Slingshot and F-one. There is one North (duotone) school so I assume they are selling that brend. KBA has a really nice prices, I bought there unused Cabrinha Contra 13m with recoil bar from one season behind for 1200 euro.

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:13 pm

aolive wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:31 pm
My wife and I are headed to Hua Hin, Thailand in February. We are faced with the question of do we travel light and rent gear or bring gear with us. When we went to Brazil we brought our gear and sold it the day we left. Is there a good slightly used market in Thailand? Not sure what the imports are like and if kites are super expensive or certain brands are really hard to get. We would be happy buying new gear, using it on our trip and then selling it to someone or to a school/business if they wanted. Not looking to make money, but if it helped pay for our trip a bit we would be into that.

What's the used market like in Thailand?
Are there many buyers?
Is it worth the hassle or just rent on the days we want to kite?

Thanks!
Difficult to say. It's aways tricky to sell on a short notice when you're just leaving. I would assume that it's better now than it used to be as the THB is quite strong to some currencies. I can buy a lot cheaper in Europe at the moment than in Thailand.
There are are three main shops in Hua Hin, Surfspot, North and KBA. They all have quite a lot of gear. North is North and now Duotone. Surfspot sell RRD and KBA have several brands, mainly Cabrinha and Airush but also FOne and Slingshot.

Surfspot also arranges second hand market for private gear every year. 2018 it was in mid March but if you stay only in Feb you might miss it. Not sure if they do several second hand markets every year. Maybe you can check with them if they have any planned for 2019 https://www.facebook.com/surfspothuahin ... zoyPJKvAFA

Return to “Kitesurfing”