Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is my instructor bias regarding buying gear?

Forum for kitesurfers
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Is my instructor bias regarding buying gear?

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:12 pm

9m is too small. An 11 or 12m would be fine. Several of the previous commenters seem to overlook the fact that you're a beginner and have just completed lessons. You don't need a 15m and you don't need a foil kite (??!!). A good 11 or 12m coupled with a larger board (width is more important than length) will get you on the water and help you progress. Have fun with it. :thumb:

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Slight chance I am wrong, but here is what you can figure out from what you have told us:

If you are right about you wind conditions, then (like everyone is saying) a 9m is too small - AT YOUR REPORTED SKILL LEVEL!

If your skill level is less than you think, there would be a chance that your instructor is trying to keep you safe and keep his teaching area safe (and not getting kiting banned there) by making sure you get a smaller kite and more controllable kite. And smaller kites can develop better skills than always having the "perfect power" - which never happens in variable inland winds.

BUT..... no instructor with good intentions would sell a beat up/well used kite that could not survive repeated crashes to someone still crashing the kite. So if your skill level is less than you think it is, and your instructor is trying to get you a "bad fit" kite for you, you need to move on from him.

Yuvallahav
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ladispoli / Marina di San Nicola
Favorite Beaches: Ladispoli / Marina di San Nicola
Gear: Still browsing

Postby Yuvallahav » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Thanks tmcfarla.
I get my wind stats from a meteorological station which is stationed about 100 meters along the beach from where the kites launch. They have live conditions, daily averages and statistics on their web page.
Trying to find a 12 meter kite might prove slow going but I'll work to that goal, and hope to get a 9 meters kite for stronger wind days further down the road.
How would I know the difference between a beginner kite and an advanced kite?

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:24 pm

8 knots is a no go for a beginner, hydrofoil or large kites+large boards. Consider the 10-14 range as useful. Go for a 12, not less.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:18 pm

Yuvallahav wrote: How would I know the difference between a beginner kite and an advanced kite?
Look at the manufacturer website. Often listed as “freeride”, but read the description. Manufacturers never seem to say the word “beginner” and will instead say something like “all-levels” or “progression”. Likewise, they will never explicitly say “this thing is fun, but might kill you”, and will instead talk about “performance” and “direct handling”. Any shop can tell you, though.

You will jump higher with a beginner kite until you have some skills under your belt. I think that the key things for beginners are ease of staying upwind, ease of relaunching, and good depower (but most kites have good depower these days).

For example, here is how Naish describes a beginner kite:

“Effortless and accessible, the Naish Ride is a fast favorite among riders of all levels. Ideal for those looking to progress their skills quickly”

Yuvallahav
Rare Poster

Postby Yuvallahav » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:24 pm

tmcfarla wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:18 pm
Yuvallahav wrote: How would I know the difference between a beginner kite and an advanced kite?
Look at the manufacturer website. Often listed as “freeride”, but read the description. Manufacturers never seem to say the word “beginner” and will instead say something like “all-levels” or “progression”. Likewise, they will never explicitly say “this thing is fun, but might kill you”, and will instead talk about “performance” and “direct handling”. Any shop can tell you, though.

You will jump higher with a beginner kite until you have some skills under your belt. I think that the key things for beginners are ease of staying upwind, ease of relaunching, and good depower (but most kites have good depower these days).

For example, here is how Naish describes a beginner kite:

“Effortless and accessible, the Naish Ride is a fast favorite among riders of all levels. Ideal for those looking to progress their skills quickly”
Perfectly explained!! Thank you!

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:44 pm

In the conditions you're describing, I rig a 15m race foil kite to ride with my hydrofoil. I think a 9m is a waste of time under 22 knots, and again, that's on a hydrofoil. For a twin tip, it's basically useless until you're in the high 20's

RustyChain
Medium Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby RustyChain » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Go to the beach a few times under normal wind conditions. What is everyone riding. Since you're light, get a kite on the smaller side of the range.

Yuvallahav
Rare Poster

Postby Yuvallahav » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:16 pm

RustyChain wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:02 pm
Go to the beach a few times under normal wind conditions. What is everyone riding. Since you're light, get a kite on the smaller side of the range.
Mostly 12 to 14. Some large foils, but some of those guys are have 20-30 kilos on me an 20 times my experience. Which is why I thought an 11-12 will do my just fine (most beginner like me use 12 meters at my beach).

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Honestly in the wind you are quoting 8-14knots you will want to be on a 15m foil kite or bigger tube to be having fun on a twintip. Buy second hand or consider something like a Pansh so you can afford more than one kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”