Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2018 quiver advice?

Postby tautologies » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:49 am

windmaker wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:47 am

:thumb: :thumb: If you are isolated and have problems with the octopus inflation (it happens) it will be a nightmare. Quad tex is just one more marketing gimmick. Would be wiser to go for an rpm/enduro/bandit/drifter style kite...
Nonsense. The really few times I have had any issues with the Octopus it took me maybe 5 mins more than other systems in the cases the octopus didn't provide a clear advantage.

Dash is actually a good advice if you really are looking towards the Torch since the DNA is from the torch. I personally still think the pivot is the right choice, but if you are looking for unhooked performance, the dash will be a tad better than the pivot. Overall tho.you can not go wrong with the Pivot.
Last edited by tautologies on Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:34 am

Yep, same old myths over and over again. As it has been written probably by a thousand times already, bladder leaks were more difficult to repair with the Octopus system maybe 10 years ago due to small zippers on the struts. Not today any more.

speedyRider
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby speedyRider » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:05 pm

I would consider a quiver of 2018 bandits...

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:28 pm

satvic wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:25 pm
Ludmil wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:13 pm
Wonder why nobody mention Dash?
That 3 strut very fast and light versatile kite, loops amazingly well and on top it's close to Torch for unhooking as additional benefit...
L.
I"m leaning towards the PIVOT at this time :) great hang time, mega loops and good usability with foiling... quad tex sounds very attractive.
Dash is quad Tex either, it's just a different model in Naish's line.
Since you've been considering Torch I just suggested something more easier and playful at the same time. Btw, I don't know your perception of kite loops, but comparing Torch against Pivot, these are at the opposite sides of the scale... Dash is in the middle, and kind of more technical vs Pivot. Both are awesome kites though.
I'm just getting the feeling that just a few tried the new Dash.
Taut, a tad better for unhooking..? :)

Best,
L.

Aspiremr
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Coronations, Sandy Bay Exmouth
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha FX’s, Flysurfer Soul, Shinn Monk, Moses T60, Moses 590

Postby Aspiremr » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:56 pm

I’m curious, can someone give me some insight. Like the opening post, real reviews seem impossible to find. All are sales reviews, fi you believe the magazines every kite is brilliant at everything.

I fly Fx’s. Never really tried anything else. And I’m happy. But when i read replies to a thread like this, there seems to be lots of suggestions and the Fx never rates a mention, yet seem to have similar characteristics to those kites mentioned.

Am I missing something and need to try some new kites. Is the Fx no good and because I haven’t been exposed to others I jsut don’t realise?

Not trying to start a brand war / sledge-athon . Just interested to learn from people more experienced than myself, and seems relevant to the thread.

Thanks for feedback.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:40 am

tautologies wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:49 am
windmaker wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:47 am

:thumb: :thumb: If you are isolated and have problems with the octopus inflation (it happens) it will be a nightmare. Quad tex is just one more marketing gimmick. Would be wiser to go for an rpm/enduro/bandit/drifter style kite...
Nonsense. The really few times I have had any issues with the Octopus it took me maybe 5 mins more than other systems in the cases the octopus didn't provide a clear advantage.

Dash is actually a good advice if you really are looking towards the Torch since the DNA is from the torch. I personally still think the pivot is the right choice, but if you are looking for unhooked performance, the dash will be a tad better than the pivot. Overall tho.you can not go wrong with the Pivot.
That's because you don't do it everyday. I am a sailmaker and regularly repair kites and struts for a living. Naish octopus offers 0 advantage over other systems (name 1) but with many disadvantages. Complicated over engineering, 3 valves per strut (instead of 2), specific valves, finding a puncture if the one way valves don't work (a classic) is a nightmare as you can't isolate the struts anymore, and not a true one pump inflation system as you still need to open and close struts on every inflation.
You admit having occasional issues with the Naish system, most real one pump systems these days have none.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:48 am

I've mentioned many advantages. One is that it's out of the way, it is also not susceptible to uv degradation like an external system is and the is no discernable difference in pumping up or deflating an external vs internal if you set it up right. If you don't (forgetting to close the thingies on the hose) then the internal is safer than the external because it doesn't leave it to the user to remember.

Lud: you're right, dash is probably more than a tad better then the pivot unhooked. I rarely ride unhooked. I meant it as a nod to the dash.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:00 am

tautologies wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:48 am
I've mentioned many advantages. One is that it's out of the way, it is also not susceptible to uv degradation like an external system is and the is no discernable difference in pumping up or deflating an external vs internal if you set it up right. If you don't (forgetting to close the thingies on the hose) then the internal is safer than the external because it doesn't leave it to the user to remember.
Out of the way of what? UV degradation only on cheap quality hoses. Forgetting to close those thingies, don't blame the kite. I have had a strut on a Park puncture and the hole kite deflated, nothing I could do. Are you saying Naish is right and everybody else wrong?

The initial post was about buying new kit for someone who is somehow isolated from support and apparently likes to keep his kites for a long time. There are wiser choices.

Return to “Kitesurfing”