Forum for kitesurfers
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Hurricane Michael

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:33 am

The devastation from this storm, particularly in the Florida Panhandle, is staggering. For those not accustomed to dealing with hurricanes, this one's destructive impact ranks at or beyond the levels of Hurricanes Katrina (New Orleans), Andrew (South Florida), and Maria (Puerto Rico). I know all the good people affected by this storm will pull through, but I can't help but feel sad and deflated seeing the images of destruction in the Panhandle, surrounding areas, and beyond. A truly bad storm. Sending thoughts and prayers to all those affected.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/11/us/p ... amage.html

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hurricane Michael

Postby JakeFarley » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:10 am

I have seen the devastating effects of hurricanes having lived in Florida practically my whole life. Indeed the devastation is great but the loss of life is the most heart wrenching. Our prayers go out to those affected and to the first responders as well.

On a side note, I will never forget what I saw on Sullivan Island (near Charleston, SC) when I went there to volunteer after hurricane Hugo. There was an elderly lady sitting on a lawn chair in the middle of the concrete slab where her home used to be. She was sorting through what little was left of her belongings, just some pictures. That was one of the many sad images that come to mind every time I see the devastation from a storm. However, the sadness is diminished when we can help out in some way (financially or volunteering) to relieve the suffering of those affected by such storms.

Return to “Kitesurfing”