Favorite Beaches: Ladispoli / Marina di San Nicola
Gear: Still browsing
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

About a 5 lines Kite setup.

Postby Yuvallahav » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:01 am

Hi guys and gals!
So I received as a gift from a friend, an unopened (new in box) 2009 gaastra 16m kite. I mean, this kite, even though an old version, was never even inflated, he didn't (my friend) remember how he came by to have this kite, but now it's mine and I might have well find a use for it (since I'm just 65 kilos I thought a 16m kite will do me nicely on light wind days). The only "problem" is that it's a 5 lines system kite, which I've never flown before (I live in central Italy, and it seems they only ever use the 4 lines systems in these parts), and since my gift was just the kite, no pigtails, no line, no bar, I will need to get a 5 lines bar (or adapt my 4 lines bar should I choose to, although I would want a separate bar for it). It seems online information about setting up a 5 lines system is very poor, and I would ask your help in pointing me in the right direction as far as actual kite setup (I only found 5 lines bar setup information, nothing about the connection to the kite itself) and any tips or information you would care to dispense about flying a 5 lines kite.
I know some will say "don't fly a kite so old, they were terrible" and so forth, but hey, it's a free kite, it's brand new and large, and I would be sad not to use it, it's not like I have another kite and if it flies and pull, I see no reason why not use it, people been kitesurfing in 2009 and survived so it can't be that bad...

thanks!

Yuval

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 100kg
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 2019 Naish Pivot 8m
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5

Re: About a 5 lines Kite setup.

Postby Chicken-loop » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:29 am

Hey Yuval,

You should definitely have a crack at it. Even though they have a high Y (I think) I would probably just get a bar from switch as I think they sell a five line kit for it. A north five line bar would work better, but that would probably cost you more.

Sounds like it would be fun, just be careful.

Chicken-loop

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:39 am

Go for it. You could buy an older North 5th line bar, or use your current 4 line bar.

If you're using the 4 line bar do the following for a basic set up;

- Buy a new single line around 27m long (assume you current lines are around 24m). Normal 1.8mm dyneema is fine and anything up to around 2mm will be fine, just needs to be few meters longer than current lines.
- Connect new line to the 5th line attachment line at the kite
- Run new line throug the bar to the chicken loop
- You now need a helper - Put kite in the air above your head and mark where the 5th line is on the chicken loop. Cut the line and create a loop, this is now you connection for you safetly loop. Attach your safety leash to this new line attachment. Make sure the 5th line is not tangled with other lines.

The Gastra is not a tensioned 5th line like the Naish Torch, so your 5th line should look a little slack in the air and bow very slightly. The only downside of 5th line is if you roll the kite and it gets trapped behind the kite, you are then swimming in or need to adapt you connection at the chicken loop so you can disconnect the 5th line when trapped.

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 100kg
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 2019 Naish Pivot 8m
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5

Postby Chicken-loop » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:42 am

Five line systems aren’t as complex as everyone likes to make out. North have a really good, safe and well proven system with lots of information available. All you may need to do is get your line lengths right and pigtails.

Cheers,

Chicken-loop

Return to “Kitesurfing”