Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best Lightweight Versatile Surfboard

Forum for kitesurfers
caps
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Best Lightweight Versatile Surfboard

Postby caps » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:02 pm

I'm looking to find a lightweight, versatile surfboard with inserts for the occasional storm ride. There are very few reviews with kite specific surfboard comparisons. I'm looking for the following characteristics: lightweight, surfing up to medium waves, inserts for big, stormy days at sea, decent upwind, travel easy, friendly to share with a beginner. I've ridden surf for 8+ years/hydrofoil for 3 years. I currently ride a Jimmy Lewis shack that I love but need a 2nd board now that my wife/kids are interested in more surf than twin tipping. I wish I could find a demo day with all the brands, perfect wind conditions, flat and wave testing conditions, and time to spare, but that'll never happen. I've read plenty of internet marketing and seemingly biased reviews. From the reads, I've come upon SS angry swallow, Naish skater, FW evo, Fone mitu, Doutone whip among many others. All for big moneyI know that many would probably work fine but just curious what others have found. Opinions encouraged and appreciated!

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best Lightweight Versatile Surfboard

Postby randycasburn » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:40 pm

You might consider a Cabrinha Spade. It may match your requirements well. I'm an Ocean Rodeo guy, and love the Duke. Disclaimer: I am terrible on a surfboard, but enjoy riding all the same.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:41 pm

I ride a FW Vader and love it but you should know that there are no inserts on the FW’s. If you want straps you have to use the NSI pads with inserts which work quite well if you attach them right. Liked the Evo too but the Vader is better fit for me.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:58 pm

If you want inserts you'll have to pay $$$ and end up with a board you'll be more worried about.

Just skip the inserts and get the best kite surf surfboard there is, the Wave Bandit Performer 4-10:
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-42781.html

This thing is amazing to ride and only costs $150.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:39 pm

What slappy said !!!

5 lbs

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:07 am

caps wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:02 pm
I'm looking to find a lightweight, versatile surfboard with inserts for the occasional storm ride.
I'm looking for the following characteristics: lightweight, surfing up to medium waves, inserts for big, stormy days at sea, decent upwind, travel easy, friendly to share with a beginner.

From the reads, I've come upon SS angry swallow, Naish skater, FW evo, Fone mitu, Doutone whip among many others. All for big moneyI know that many would probably work fine but just curious what others have found. Opinions encouraged and appreciated!
I think you're on the right track. The "blunt" tip type surfboards that are popular for strapless freestyle also tend to be better for smaller waves and conditions. I personally ride a FW Vanguard for conditions exactly like you mention above.
"Best" is a relative term... Best construction/materials vs. Best ride qualities. Ride quality is subjective, so I'll focus on construction and materials only. Without going custom made, and since you're preferring strap inserts and are looking for the "best" board for the conditions you state above, the "best" board that comes to mind is F-One's Slice Pro Series...
https://bayareakitesurf.com/outlet/?item=102396

Other than that, the boards you listed above and some others like RRD's COTAN and Cab's Squid Launcher or X-Breed would all be perfect. I'm sure several others are available from other brands since it's a popular shape.
If you're thinking a dedicated strapless (no inserts) surfboard or something to mod with stick-on straps, then definitely check out Firewire's Evo or Vanguard or possibly FCD's Blunt or DI's (DSD) Stallion. Many of the big brands are also offering dedicated strapless boards, so you have plenty of options there as well. I'd look for some 2017-18 models on closeout since most boards are only paint job changes per season.
Good luck! :thumb:

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:26 am

I'd look into the DSD Stallion...built tough, and especially for the conditions you're after. It doesn't come with inserts....but I have seen them with inserts....either customised after being built....or by the builders themselves. I'd send appletree a mail.
appletreesurfboards.com

I have one of theirs...love it! No interest in the company other than that.

caps
Medium Poster

Postby caps » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:26 pm

DSD Stallion definitely has peaked my interest. But the cost of that board may be prohibitive to the fun budget. I’m gonna look into it.

How’s the Naish Skater vs Duotone Whip CSC vs FW Evo/Vader? For freestyle play (30% of the time), does the lighter weight make a huge difference for the average surf freestyler? I’m trying to factor in the downside of the insert’s extra weight needed for the occasional boost/storm sesh (20% of the time).

The other 50% of the time I ride swell/waves strapless.

Thanks for all feedback so far! Cheers!

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:45 pm

The Naish Skater is light. My 2018 5.2. weighs 2,8kg with pads, without the fins.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:47 pm

If lightweight and inexpensive is a significant part of the equation then regular surfboards at garage sales or classifieds, you can get three or four different ones for the price of one new kitesurfboard...

Foot straps- drill and resin in your own inserts or use the stick down kind.

Granted you will dent and break a regular surfboard more easily. But thats the tradeoff for light weight.

Return to “Kitesurfing”