Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone kites 12m low end experience

forum for kitesurfers


petato2
Rare Poster
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:32 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: la manga
Favorite Beaches: la manga
Style: freeride
Gear: airush, evo,
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone kites 12m low end experience

Postby petato2 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:31 am

Hi all,

I am step by step moving to Ozone kites.

Due to weight 85kg, boards strapless, and spot conditions my quiver is 7, 9/10 and 12.

7 and 9/10 will be REOs, no doubt as I am riding waves strapless.

12 I have my doubts, I wil ride also strapless but little to none waves with this kite size. I am interested in an Ozone kite with good low end power, was considering Catalyst 2014/5, or Enduro v1.

Do you guys have any experience in these kites, Reo, catalyst, Enduro, in big sizes 12m, in terms of low end power ?

Thanks in advance.

User avatar
gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1327
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:19 am
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,
Location: Fuerteventura
Contact:

Re: Ozone kites 12m low end experience

Postby gmb13 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Hi ,

The EnduroV1 will fly more similar to the modern Reos. It is also a bit more stable than the 2014 Catalyst and the bridle can be tuned to Freestyle, Freeride and wave modes. The Enduro has the best lowend performance out of the three kite choices.

--
Gunnar

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: South coast, UK

Re: Ozone kites 12m low end experience

Postby iriejohn » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:25 pm

81kg. 12m Enduro V2 has pretty good low end if you use Ozone 25m+ lines and set the bridle to the "Freestyle" setting (takes 10 seconds).

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 921
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:14 am
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active
Ozone reo V4 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none
Location: outer space

Re: Ozone kites 12m low end experience

Postby naishdude » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:52 pm

Well I have 82kg...have 12M 9 7 5 Ozone REO V4

12m REO has a very good low end, ad high end, I use it with an Airush sector 54 V5 ( narrow in the sector range board; more slalom than race) this is really at its low end and I do add 3m extensions to the 25m lines.

like that I fly it and have real fun when others are using their 18 to 15m kites, The Reo is due to its turning speed and soft flying, with like three sines on its way, it needs some active flying to get it started but once it is goig its gone

,due to the longer lines it flies deeper towards the edge of the window, pure fun, and when the large kites start falling from the sky, your reo is hanging in there and with some looping you will come back ( unless it drops under 10 knots)

When the wind becomes too much for the Sector, I jump on my Airush cypher 5'8 (lightwind waveboard) and having fun, the high end is great.

We are a group of friends, different weights, in lightwind our biggest kites are 12m reo's this for guys with 82 and 89 and 9O and 95 kg...
different boards and line lengths

82 KG AIRUSH SECTOR 54 cm wide AND AIRUSH CYPHER 5'8
89 KG Fone Mitu fish 5'10
90 KG Airush cypher 5'8
95kg Airush Sector 60cm wide

But all on Ozone Reo V4 12m

The new Ozone REO V5 12 gives you the same possibility to change the bridle with one knot...it makes the kite stay way back compared to the regular setting, brings more power on the bar and harness, not sure if you want that...We do not need it...

hope it helps a bit

cheers , dude :cool2:

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:11 pm

Re: Ozone kites 12m low end experience

Postby mikelet » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:11 pm

In my experience , stay away from ozone if you're a big guy and really want low end from other models than the Zephyr.....
I'm flying ozone since the first Instincts back in 2006.....lately owned Reos and Enduros.....i have always found they are amazing in médium to strong winds ...but don't know if due to flatter profiles, thinner LE's or that all models being the same open C desing with poor projected área, compared to other brands, that for me, they lack low end.....always found myself with insanely big boards ( sectors 60&54 and super wide strapless surfboards) in thermal low winds....
At 95 kg I upgraded to Cabrinha Contra 15 and SB 12 , and what a diference!!!......parked all my big boards all the summer.....
As i said it, long time ago here in the forum ...Ozone should have made their homework and scale down the Zephyrs ,maybe a 13m and 15m , similar to what Cabrinha did with their Contras...for big guys Freeride...to have some more projected área with médium AR in the air in LW.....instead of stupid school Catalyst models....

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Posts: 156
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:45 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone hyperlink 12m. Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. 5,5m and 8m BWS Aeneema. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Re: Ozone kites 12m low end experience

Postby WH Lithuania » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Can anyone comment on Reo V5 (or V4 as it's pretty close) lowend between 9m and 10m sizes? The chart on the Ozone website shows huge difference o lowend between 9m and 10m. I've got 9m and I find it lacks power in light winds with hydrofoil. Especially noticeable during tacks. Wondering should I change my 9m to 10m?

mmeyers12
Medium Poster
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:45 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: I wish I had a local beach....
Style: Freeride, Waves, Hydrofoil
Gear: 13m Drifter
10m Reo
8m Catalyst (Enduro)
6m Cabo
4.5m RPM
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone kites 12m low end experience

Postby mmeyers12 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:28 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:29 pm
Can anyone comment on Reo V5 (or V4 as it's pretty close) lowend between 9m and 10m sizes? The chart on the Ozone website shows huge difference o lowend between 9m and 10m. I've got 9m and I find it lacks power in light winds with hydrofoil. Especially noticeable during tacks. Wondering should I change my 9m to 10m?
I am not sure about V4 or V5 but...

I have a 2012 Reo 10m and I love it for foiling. Definitely has more lowend than my 2013 8m ozone catalyst.

Havre
Rare Poster
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:38 am
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, Best Spark, Mystic Majestic
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone kites 12m low end experience

Postby Havre » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:49 pm

mikelet wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:11 pm
In my experience , stay away from ozone if you're a big guy and really want low end from other models than the Zephyr.....
I'm flying ozone since the first Instincts back in 2006.....lately owned Reos and Enduros.....i have always found they are amazing in médium to strong winds ...but don't know if due to flatter profiles, thinner LE's or that all models being the same open C desing with poor projected área, compared to other brands, that for me, they lack low end.....always found myself with insanely big boards ( sectors 60&54 and super wide strapless surfboards) in thermal low winds....
At 95 kg I upgraded to Cabrinha Contra 15 and SB 12 , and what a diference!!!......parked all my big boards all the summer.....
As i said it, long time ago here in the forum ...Ozone should have made their homework and scale down the Zephyrs ,maybe a 13m and 15m , similar to what Cabrinha did with their Contras...for big guys Freeride...to have some more projected área with médium AR in the air in LW.....instead of stupid school Catalyst models....
I´m not sure if I follow. If you lack power in "low wind" (which is a relative term depending on the size of the kite) why not go bigger?

I have the opposite experience with Enduro vs. Switchblade. I´m 100-105kg myself and I have found myself having decent power while my friend at around 80-85kg was starting to complain he didn´t have enough on his similar sized Switchblade. Hardly scientific, but....

I do agree that the Zephyr is a bit like a big truck. It pulls regardless in a way the Enduro wouldn´t. Not sure if that is down to design or the nature of a big kite. Makes less sense to have such a "power profile" with a smaller kite you can move faster anyway in my opinion.

As for the OP. I love the Catalyst, but except for water relaunch I don´t really think it does anything better than the Enduro (not that the Enduro is difficult to relaunch, but the Catalyst almost bounces up again) - which is a very versatile. So unless you are saving a significant amount of money I would go for the Enduro (I went from Catalyst to Enduro myself).

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5863
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Ozone kites 12m low end experience

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:48 am

Havre wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:49 pm
mikelet wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:11 pm
In my experience , stay away from ozone if you're a big guy and really want low end from other models than the Zephyr.....
I'm flying ozone since the first Instincts back in 2006.....lately owned Reos and Enduros.....i have always found they are amazing in médium to strong winds ...but don't know if due to flatter profiles, thinner LE's or that all models being the same open C desing with poor projected área, compared to other brands, that for me, they lack low end.....always found myself with insanely big boards ( sectors 60&54 and super wide strapless surfboards) in thermal low winds....
At 95 kg I upgraded to Cabrinha Contra 15 and SB 12 , and what a diference!!!......parked all my big boards all the summer.....
As i said it, long time ago here in the forum ...Ozone should have made their homework and scale down the Zephyrs ,maybe a 13m and 15m , similar to what Cabrinha did with their Contras...for big guys Freeride...to have some more projected área with médium AR in the air in LW.....instead of stupid school Catalyst models....
I´m not sure if I follow. If you lack power in "low wind" (which is a relative term depending on the size of the kite) why not go bigger?

I have the opposite experience with Enduro vs. Switchblade. I´m 100-105kg myself and I have found myself having decent power while my friend at around 80-85kg was starting to complain he didn´t have enough on his similar sized Switchblade. Hardly scientific, but....

I do agree that the Zephyr is a bit like a big truck. It pulls regardless in a way the Enduro wouldn´t. Not sure if that is down to design or the nature of a big kite. Makes less sense to have such a "power profile" with a smaller kite you can move faster anyway in my opinion.

As for the OP. I love the Catalyst, but except for water relaunch I don´t really think it does anything better than the Enduro (not that the Enduro is difficult to relaunch, but the Catalyst almost bounces up again) - which is a very versatile. So unless you are saving a significant amount of money I would go for the Enduro (I went from Catalyst to Enduro myself).
Some have no low end grunt, especially when loaded up ie. Reo, Enduro. Classic example was a buddy trying to do a tandem ride after he was riding solo and powered up, but tandem couldn't get onto a plane and the kite kept buckling. I was on a Switchblade of the same size, so...

Macster
Medium Poster
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:16 am
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone kites 12m low end experience

Postby Macster » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:04 am

Open c kites like the enduro, dice, fx need to be actively flown in light wind to generate power. People who say they have no low end are probably better suited to park and ride kites like the switchblade and rebel.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Jukka and 10 guests

cron