Ozone kites 12m low end experience

Forum for kitesurfers
BigZ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central California Coast
Favorite Beaches: Jalama Beach
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave kites,
Surfboards, surfboards, and more surfboards ...

Did I say surfboards ?
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ozone kites 12m low end experience

Postby BigZ » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:01 am

I would not agree that if you are over 100kg you rarely use 9m and below. It all depends on your style and skill. I am 105kg. My quiver is 10/8/6. Granted, I am only on surfboards but my most used kite is 8m. When it is 20 knots or over I will be on 8m. I would not call 20 knots a very rare wind.

By the way I am on Ozone Reos so my post is not completely irrelevant :)

To comment on the original post, I used to have Reo v4 12m, but to be honest if you work your 10m the difference in power is not huge and the compromise in turning speed and range is significant. If your 12m is for crossover to TT forget Reo. If this for waves it depends. In onshore 12m will be a liability. If your are lucky enough to kite in side/off shore (with waves) it will be a blessing ...

Havre wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:15 pm
That is not a question of constantly switching around. With my 9-12-17 I cover all conditions I have ever experienced. At 100kg+ I have never experienced wind more powerful than I could handle with a 9 (of course it exists, but for most kite spots wind that strong is very rare). A 3 kite quiver is quite normal, and it is not like Cabrinha, even if it is correct that they have a larger window than Ozone (my experience is the opposite), would be able to handle the total window I got with my 3 kites with 2. In theory I could have had 8-11-15 with Cabrinha. Covering the same low wind (if you are correct) and covering slightly more of the stronger wind with an 8 compared to a 9.

I randomly ended up with Ozone. My first kite was an Ozone from the school I took my lessons at (I learned with Best and Core - so had nothing to do with me having used Ozone when learning). My second kite was also an Ozone. Again quite randomly as this shop had one which had been completely torn apart in the waves, but stitched back together again. I got it so dirty keep I couldn´t say no. Then I have just stuck to Ozone ever since. If, when the time comes to buy new ones again, I get a good deal on Cabrinha I wouldn´t have any issue changing over to another brand, but the size of the wind window wouldn´t be part of my decision making process. Unless someone comes up with a new design that removes the need to have 3 kites moving to 2 or 1 for the same "total wind window".

Of course if the plan is to have only one or maybe two kites - then having a wide window is more important.

I personally don´t see the point with a slow 12m Zephyr - unless you only own one kite and want to have the widest window possible. That is a subjective thing of course.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:09 pm

Fair enough on a surfboard. Then again few would ride a 17m with a surfboard so my point stands - just that all the kites are smaller.

petato2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: la manga
Favorite Beaches: la manga
Style: freeride
Gear: airush, evo,

Postby petato2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:22 am

For those who ride REOs,
Does a quiver of 7,10,12 makes sense, or 10 and 12 are too close and better do 7 (7 is clear to me) 9 and 12?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:03 am

81kg/1.8m/178lb/5'11", retired grandfather, live near the sea, 136 x 40.5 Lieuwe Shotgun twintip and 5'8" Mitu directional.

For 3 kites I would have: 7m x 1.3 = 9.1m, then 9m x 1.3 = 11.7m, so 7/9/12m

I have 6/8/10/12 Enduro V2s - 10m is the biggest I use on the directional and 12m the biggest on the twintip. Ideally would have 6/8/10/13m but Ozone don't make a 13m Enduro. In winter I mostly use the 6m and 8m and in summer the 10m and 12m. To be fair I mostly use the twintip, and use the directional only when the conditions are nice (but I'm crap on it).

Edit: 2m between kites is nice on a directional.
Last edited by iriejohn on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:00 pm

Since you are talking about Reo’s I assume you are riding waves? If so, you might want to be off the 12 as early as possible and the 10 would be better for that. But in the waves a jump from 10 to 7 might be to big. Where you ride most, how often would you overpowered on the 10 and how often would you be underpowered on the 9?
7,9,12 has been the standard quiver for years but that is more for a tt. Waves are different, especially strapless. Overpowered sucks and and a 12 is usually too big(read slow) depending upon rider weight. Just my opinion.

petato2
Medium Poster

Postby petato2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:58 pm

Thanks Knotwindy.

Yes is waves (mediterranean), 85 kg and strapless.

12 I only use it lightwind days in summer, not much waves.

7 a few days during the year.

10 is my most used kite by far, as soon as I can do 10 I prefer it to 12. I am using a fatwide surfboard for those days to make sure I have enough.

Right now I am doing just 10 and 12, but a different brand.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:50 am

BigZ wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:01 am
I would not call 20 knots a very rare wind.
Lucky bugger -- here, over 20 knots has been very rare this past couple of years... I guess that's why so many are switching to foil boards.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:13 pm

with your weight, and a fat lightwind waveboard, you can go 12 9 7
The reo's are very soft and will not pull you from the board when strapless, the 12 has a wide range, and it is easy to go from 12 onto 9m
I have 82k and the same setup, 12 9 7 5 so no worries, even try to put 3m extension to the 25m lines and ride your 12m in light winds, 14m and or 16m are not faster than a 12m on extensions, add the lightweight of the reo, it will still hang in the skies when those heavy 17m drop... :cool2:

petato2
Medium Poster

Postby petato2 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:01 pm

Thanks naishdude

stephduche
Rare Poster
Local Beach: gilgo, ny
Been thanked: 0

Postby stephduche » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:44 pm

I'm 105kg and ride Ozone Reo V4 8/10/12 + surfboard Firewire Evo 5'3" (AWESOME board!!) then switch to hydrofoil when 12m is too small.

@BigZ: what do you mean "12m Reo can be a liability in onshore winds"?

@petato2: as you can see I have 8/10/12m. I think it's definitely a+ to have the 12m on top of a 10.
I just recently started to experiment with shorter lines: it makes a world of a difference to fly the 12m with shorter lines as it makes it so much faster turning and so much nicer for wave riding

Return to “Kitesurfing”