Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Controlling Speed

forum for kitesurfers

beebad
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeak, Triton, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island, Mirlo Beach-NC,
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 148 Spectrum, 137 ACE
Brand Affiliation: None

Controlling Speed

Postby beebad » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:03 pm

I was out yesterrday with a 12m in winds i will guess were 12-16mph. I guess ok. I could adjust my speed wih depower and flying higher in window...i get unstable when i start going too fast. This could be that i am getting over powered as the wind i am guessing went to 18+ and i just needed to come in and swap to a smaller kite.

But when you are out there and have to get back to the start, what are some things we can do? Trim the kite? Keep it high in the window? I was high in the window and maybe it was getting really gusty....but it was a real chore to stay in control....

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: Controlling Speed

Postby Matteo V » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:05 pm

beebad wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:03 pm
I was out yesterrday with a 12m in winds i will guess were 12-16mph. I guess ok. I could adjust my speed wih depower and flying higher in window...i get unstable when i start going too fast. This could be that i am getting over powered as the wind i am guessing went to 18+ and i just needed to come in and swap to a smaller kite.

But when you are out there and have to get back to the start, what are some things we can do? Trim the kite? Keep it high in the window? I was high in the window and maybe it was getting really gusty....but it was a real chore to stay in control....
Explain the feeling and what happens when you "get unstable". Is the boards direction uncontrollable? Tail walking? Or do you just fall off?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:06 pm

beebad wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:03 pm

"Kiting since: 2016"

Early days, practise makes perfect. Edge harder which can both slow you down and point higher upwind.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:35 pm

Don’t just go back and forth across the wind.
Either point higher into the wind and lower your kite or run downwind deeper to release some of the pressure and then lower the kite and point higher upwind. With the kite lower and knees bent edging the board hard you can move/force the kite forward to the edge of the wind window and keep it in control at almost any speed. I know lowering the kite seems counterintuitive when overpowered but it works. Let’s you set a better board edge without getting lifted off the water.
Last edited by knotwindy on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beebad
Medium Poster
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 148 Spectrum, 137 ACE

Postby beebad » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:34 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:05 pm
Explain the feeling and what happens when you "get unstable". Is the boards direction uncontrollable? Tail walking? Or do you just fall off?
I read some of the other replies and they all fit...mostly 2016. I dont fall off but i get going so fast i have to parkit and sit down or i fall off. Reading your replies i am sure i am not edging hard enough. Tail walking sometimes sounds familiar....edging problem for sure.....

Its a 3 hour drive and the wind has not cooperated this year. With as much water time i’ve had this year I think i am doing really well, staying up wind...very happy yesterday.

These replies are great and i will keep them in mind waiting for the wind....i would have twice as much of an opportunity if i kited oceanside but......

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:33 am

Go old school. Drop the kite just above the water and edge your board as hard as needed, you'll slow down as much as you want to,play the angle to wind to make adjustments. This is also a remedy for the new age, dreaded poo stance! :movingbutt:

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:48 am

pj sofine wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:33 am
Go old school. Drop the kite just above the water and edge your board as hard as needed, you'll slow down as much as you want to,play the angle to wind to make adjustments. This is also a remedy for the new age, dreaded poo stance! :movingbutt:
BAM!!!

Old school C-kites required you to edge upwind to depower as the bar throw had almost no depower (a)effect. I still do that on non-C-kite tubies, and foils all the time on the snow.

Edge upwind to depower the kite, but really work to hold your edge so you don't power up the kite by heading on a beam reach or slightly downwind.

Later on, you will learn to go downwind when (or before) downlooping the kite to depower the kite.

Advanced skills for sure, but extremely valuable. You will get it. So post your experience back up here.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:14 am

Board control is the most important. If you start to get out of control, you can put more weight on your back foot and either edge harder upwind or bear off downwind a bit. Think of it like doing a powerslide on a skateboard to stop, (youtube it if you dont know what that is), you don't necessarily need to turn your whole body but you are rotating the board so you are sliding in the same direction, but with the nose pointed more upwind. Doing this while stepping on your back foot acts kind of like a brake, and is how you control your speed even when very overpowered.

You will quickly learn that sheeting the bar in and out doesn't necessarily do what you want, the term "depower" is misleading. Yes it dumps wind out of the kite, but it's not going to slow you down much compared to properly edging the board. Deciding how much to pull the bar in is more a matter of needing to move the kite's position in the window, not necessarily how fast you want to go. It does impact it a bit, though, especially if you're very powered, then you can just pull the bar in for more power.

beebad
Medium Poster

Postby beebad » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:29 pm

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/DGa ... TAV9DtHcwt

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/VUc ... CQ3GCESwZk

My walk back.

BAM!!!

Old school C-kites required you to edge upwind to depower as the bar throw had almost no depower (a)effect. I still do that on non-C-kite tubies, and foils all the time on the snow.

Edge upwind to depower the kite, but really work to hold your edge so you don't power up the kite by heading on a beam reach or slightly downwind.

Later on, you will learn to go downwind when (or before) downlooping the kite to depower the kite.

Advanced skills for sure, but extremely valuable. You will get it. So post your experience back up here.
[/quote]

John Doe
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: The cheap kind.

Postby John Doe » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:05 pm

Probably having a lot of "throw" will help tremendously. Some older bars do not allow a lot of throw, i.e. amount you can flag the kite out.

Other thing, and I won't tout the brand I purchased, is to get some new kites. Or newer if you can't afford new. I upgraded to 2017's & man what a difference. The things are wwwwaaaayyyyyy easier to control in all aspects!!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”