Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cymatic (Tomo MPH) in kiteconstruction?

Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Cymatic (Tomo MPH) in kiteconstruction?

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:02 pm

chibern wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:51 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:27 am
bjw wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:05 am
local shapers
Got $3,000 spare? It's literally cheaper to get one custom made in Europe and shipped over :lol:
Got this shaped by Brian Bulkley (San Clemente, CA) for around $625. He's legit - ghost shapes for Lost... and others and I've had my last few surfboards shaped by him. Got some deck pads on sale so around $700 ready to go for a custom board.

I'm just a beginner strapless kitesurfer so I just had him make a scaled down version of the old surfboard (that he also shaped) that I was learning on.

2x6oz glass + 3/4 layer 6oz S-glass on top
1x4oz glass + 1x4oz S-glass + carbon tape on bottom
FCS II fin boxes - 5 fin setup
he's made a few other kiteboards so he "kite-tified" this shape a little - harder rails, concaves and a couple other small details.
5'9" x 19.25" x 2.3" 28.9L (I'm about 195lbs and deal with low winds in SoCal so figured I needed the volume)

Rides like a dream for me so far but I haven't been able to test it in real waves yet. No durability testing yet either but it should last awhile.

Not saying this is the end all be all of kite surfboards but just saying custom can be a reasonable option...
California is about as local to me as California is to Antarctica :(

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:06 am

FedEx or DHL can make it local enough...

chibern
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SoCal
Style: Spastic
Gear: Anything
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby chibern » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:43 am

not to hijack this thread any more but ...
@kamikuza - (going by your handle and "favorite beach" so forgive me if I'm not even close...) I'm sure there are plenty of good shapers in Japan since surfing is pretty big there. Finding one you trust to shape you the board you want is another matter. Everything seems to be more expensive there too - so maybe not $700 but probably still within striking distance of an off-the-rack kiteboard.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:20 am

chibern wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:43 am
not to hijack this thread any more but ...
@kamikuza - (going by your handle and "favorite beach" so forgive me if I'm not even close...) I'm sure there are plenty of good shapers in Japan since surfing is pretty big there. Finding one you trust to shape you the board you want is another matter. Everything seems to be more expensive there too - so maybe not $700 but probably still within striking distance of an off-the-rack kiteboard.
Handle is unconnected.

Probably are a couple of shapers, but language will be the barrier and convincing them do something they don't want to do with be another. But the cost *is* thousands, not under a thousand. Local got a custom board made for him (in Tokyo), cost him $3,200 -- but it was carbon, I suppose. I got a Slingshot last-season board shipped here for $800.
BWD wrote:FedEx or DHL can make it local enough...
Then you lose the benefit of being able to have a thorough discussion with your shaper. And you get to pay like $400 for shipping and "duties" too. Assuming the shaper can be bothered shipping it at all -- many think the post office is "too far" to send something :lol:

A shaper on here has offered to do a board for me -- that'd be a whole lot less hassle for me, and they're in Europe :lol:

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 am

has anyone got a firewire helium still in one piece after a year, i love light boards... they are sooooblight

i also love real small boards for kiting.. like grom boards ... i surf a regular performance 6'1 but kite a 4'11

if i could paddle a 4'11.. i would! Of course you need reasonable quality waves and decent wind.

if you are serious about surfboards.. buy everyone you can afford second hand and try it out... / sell it on

even most well know surf shops dont have staff that have the first clue what they are talking about... kite shops... way less.. learn yourself

He was influenced by kiteboards for the shapes, he doesnt kite. Some great ideas though..

what is that stuff in the heliums? i got no idea.. it doesnt look like pvc foam.. its white.. suuuuper small bubbles quite fingernail resistant and about 4mm thick outside the polystyrene core... its a nuts material!

Jan:)
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Jan:) » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:01 pm

I got one of the first heliums in kite construction and it is still pretty much undamaged after more than a year.
Overall it is quite a bit more robust that the FST I had before.

The FST had serious heel dents after half a year, the helium has almost no dents at all.
It also seems like the helium does ding less, but that may also just be luck.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:16 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 am
... i surf a regular performance 6'1 but kite a 4'11

if i could paddle a 4'11.. i would! Of course you need reasonable quality waves and decent wind.
Strapped or strapless? Do you think that a new entrant into directional kitesurfing should go with a bigger board first? If so, how big? As big as what you would surf on a good day?

longwhitecloud wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:41 am
even most well know surf shops dont have staff that have the first clue what they are talking about... kite shops... way less.. learn yourself
Yup! And they cater mostly (most sales) to those with strapless aspirations who want to simulate prone surfing. If you want a strapped board, there is virtually no one besides other riders on the water at your spot, that can give you advice on a strapped kitesurfboard.

General rule of thumb for strapped kitesurfing is that you want a board that is TOO SMALL to prone surf.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:17 pm

strapless. maybe a newbie wants a wider tail for stability, will make turning around a bit easier too, not so wobbly

i encourage any board, they all work, to get you into it. Nothing wrong with a bigger board too
i just like smaller... lighter, snappier, easier to control at speed.. getting pulled off wave.

thx i will see about getting a helium construction.. thecsmall sizes will be on sale with any luck.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:06 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:17 pm
strapless. maybe a newbie wants a wider tail for stability, will make turning around a bit easier too, not so wobbly

i encourage any board, they all work, to get you into it. Nothing wrong with a bigger board too
i just like smaller... lighter, snappier, easier to control at speed.. getting pulled off wave.
You are absolutely correct! I got into my spiel and kind of neglected the fact that many reading this thread may be beginners. But the OP seems to have the experience to omit the beginner exception to my advice.

And yes, wide tail is nice for learning to jibe. But just pull off a few jibes on a narrower tailed board, and you will be able to jibe a wide tailed board all day.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:50 am

chibern wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:51 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:27 am
bjw wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:05 am
local shapers
Got $3,000 spare? It's literally cheaper to get one custom made in Europe and shipped over :lol:
Got this shaped by Brian Bulkley (San Clemente, CA) for around $625. He's legit - ghost shapes for ...Lost and others and I've had my last few surfboards shaped by him. Got some deck pads on sale so around $700 ready to go for a custom board.

I'm just a beginner strapless kitesurfer so I just had him make a scaled down version of the old surfboard (that he also shaped) that I was learning on.

2x6oz glass + 3/4 layer 6oz S-glass on top
1x4oz glass + 1x4oz S-glass + carbon tape on bottom
FCS II fin boxes - 5 fin setup
he's made a few other kiteboards so he "kite-tified" this shape a little - harder rails, concaves and a couple other small details.
5'9" x 19.25" x 2.3" 28.9L (I'm about 195lbs and deal with low winds in SoCal so figured I needed the volume)

Rides like a dream for me so far but I haven't been able to test it in real waves yet. No durability testing yet either but it should last awhile.

Not saying this is the end all be all of kite surfboards but just saying custom can be a reasonable option...
Lovely.

I'm still not in California.

Return to “Kitesurfing”