Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Most Important Skill To Develop For the Entry & Future Kite Foiler

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

The Most Important Skill To Develop For the Entry & Future Kite Foiler

Postby Okkiteboarder » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:21 pm

💥The Most Important Skill For Kite Foiling💥
💦A Progression For Present & Future Foilers🌊
https://youtu.be/ufw7ps1KmHU

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Re: The Most Important Skill To Develop For the Entry & Future Kite Foiler

Postby fluidity » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:19 am

Interesting post!
I've not foiled before but i saw something similar. I might have to construct myself an unpowered onewheel and try it with a kite :thumb:

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Absolutely true about the Onewheel!

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Has thanked: 0

Postby lovethepirk » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:52 pm

I tell this to every person learning to foil. It's NOT front foot pressure you need. It's front hip pressure.

Stand upright with a wide stance and put your hip on the edge of a couch. Now push the couch using only that hip. That's the forward hip pressure and posture you will need to feel when learning. Once you learn, and your legs start burning you will fast learn the relax and chill stance. :wink:

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone

Postby Okkiteboarder » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:07 am

fluidity wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:19 am
Interesting post!
I've not foiled before but i saw something similar. I might have to construct myself an unpowered onewheel and try it with a kite :thumb:
Please let me know how this venture turns out. :D :o

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:09 am

Somebody put a "trotter" Chinese knock off one wheel in my garage and it was awesome!. But the actual "onewheel" is waaaaayyyy better. Ain't got the dough for that though. Funny that the Chinese knockoff is good enough to make you know that you need the real thing to really be happy.

Good stuff from OKkiteboarder. This guy has to get out of OK. That place may be a "beautiful desert", but he can reach more aspiring kiters elsewhere. Looks like a potentially good instructor. And I hope my reputation would not hinder this path, though maybe I would like to have him stay. Would be sad to lose him, and would miss him from the Midwest. Almost no one to direct newbies without gear to for instruction here anymore. Gotta take it upon ourselves to help out with aspiring kiteboarders with their own gear. Pro lessons are much better.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:34 am

I would have thought earning good money was the first skill required for foiling.

Zandman
Rare Poster
Gear: Zeeko

Postby Zandman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:18 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:09 am
But the actual "onewheel" is waaaaayyyy better.
Hi Matteo

can you please tell us a bit more about that? Tried both? How do they compare?

I wanna buy one but the onewheel here costs 3 times more and practically does not have any service or support.
The trotter on the other hand is sold with 2 years warranty from a big shop that has excellent support and service.

Thanks in advance!

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Zandman wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:18 pm
can you please tell us a bit more about that? Tried both? How do they compare?
I tried both as a kiter friend purchased the Trotter first to try, then got a Onewheel, then bought another (new XR model) Onewheel to share with family and friends. After he got his first Onewheel and was waiting for the second, he let me borrow the Trotter to learn and catch up on how much time he had put into. He also wanted me to buy one so we could ride together.

The first time I tried the trotter before he let me borrow it, I screwed up my ankle just from learning to get onto it and ride it slow. It was pretty "jerky" and my bad ankle(s) did not like that. So without even falling on the trotter, I was messed up for about a week. Still kited 3 days after, though.

A few weeks later, when he got his Onewheel, he let me borrow the Trotter. That is when I started to learn it. It took me a solid 8 sessions for me to get to the point where I could get on it without too much wobble. However, at this stage, I had tried the real Onewheel and was able to get on it right away. So the first difference is:

1. The Trotter takes much more time to learn the first basic step (getting on it), but the Onewheel is easy to learn as it has settings that allow a "soft start" that just about everybody picks up almost in the first session. - I would not have messed up my ankle on the Onewheel.

Then I used the Trotter on pavement for maybe 20 battery charges. It was fine for power for me (100kg), but did not have any off road or grass riding capabilities like the Onewheel XR or even the regular Onewheel. And that is the second issue with the Trotter.

2. The Onewheel is waaaayyyyyyyyy better at off road. If you get the trotter, at least if you weight around 90kg, you will be sticking to pavement only.

Along with the power issue off road, the Onewheel (I am pretty sure, so someone correct me if I am wrong) has a steeper entry angle. That means that you can climb over a low obstacle at a steeper angle head on.

3. So if you are off road with the Trotter, you will hit the front of the foot pad on a bump/ramp at before you will hit on the Onewheel.

But because of the lesser off road capabilities of the Trotter, you will likely be sticking to pavement anyway. Pavement is enough fun for me, but my friend is obsessed with off road and wants nothing to do with pavement anymore.

And over all, I think the Trotter is like a bad hydrofoil that still "works". Enough to get you into it, but you will be changing out to a better one later. And the catch here is that the better one (Onewheel) is easier to learn on as opposed to the lesser one (Trotter). So I cannot see any reason to get the Trotter.

So lastly, I would recommend the Onewheel over the Trotter so you don't wind up like my friend that spent money 3 times. I am going to borrow the Trotter from him again soon, but I am not spending money on the Trotter or the Onewheel. My price for getting my own would be around $400. I could not justify taking anymore money from kiting. And given it's size/weight, and the small van that I live in, it would likely not be the best thing to travel with me.

Zandman
Rare Poster
Gear: Zeeko

Onewheel vs Trotter

Postby Zandman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks a lot Matteo!
Great to hear from somebody who has tried both!

From this video it does not look too bad but what you write make sense

Return to “Hydrofoil”