Vietnam Kiting, Please Share Your knowledge

Forum for kitesurfers
Frozenfox
Rare Poster
Gear: Nkb
Brand Affiliation: None

Vietnam Kiting, Please Share Your knowledge

Postby Frozenfox » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:11 am

For the guys who have kited in Vietnam could you please share your experiences, places to visit and anything else that may be useful.

From what I’ve read Phan Rang and Mui Ne are the two main spots, are there any other spots worth visiting, I’m planning to spend 3-4 months there from December, kite wise I’ve been informed that I will need everything from a 5m to 12m, so I guess I’ll be travelling pretty heavy with a 5m,7m,9m and a 12m.

Any useful tips please chime in..

Thanks guys

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Re: Vietnam Kiting, Please Share Your knowledge

Postby ELI » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Depending on your weight ,I would not bother with the 12. 5 for control ,7 for power,9 for morning when its light. I'm 175 lbs

Frozenfox
Rare Poster

Postby Frozenfox » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:05 pm

I’m 75-79kg on a bad day, it would be a relief not having to drag the 12m out with me, but from speaking to a few schools out there they all said a 12m is necessary

ELI
Frequent Poster

Postby ELI » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:35 pm

I was in Mui Ne in Feb. Rented a SB, brought 7+9 could have used 5/6. Every day late morning 9m by lunch 7m ....8 days

Frozenfox
Rare Poster

Postby Frozenfox » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Ok thanks, sounds like the 12 will just gather dust. What did you think of Mui Ne, somewhere you’d go back to or not worth the effort, did you kite in any other spots in Vietnam?

ELI
Frequent Poster

Postby ELI » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:44 pm

There is a lot of info. about Mui Ne in here with a search. If I was to be there for 3-4 months I would enjoy the few days off that I would need to use a 12. Seasons are always different though.Expect crowds for Chinese new year,Read through past postings they have ALL the info. plus tips.

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:10 am

I did a road trip in April 2013 from HCMC up to Hong Kong, was pretty sweet. Great food, parties, and everything cheap. Spent 12 days in Mui Ne and was out almost every day - beginning of the day 12m, afternoon 9m. 2 days with winds too strong for my 9. This was in april, end of the season, so it does probably blow harder in peak season so then you probably won't need the 12 (?). Travelled further up north and also had a few sessions in Nha Thrang on my 12m. Mui Ne is windy but choppy with heavy shorebreak at times, and crowded. Rent a scooter and go check out nearby beaches if possible. Bring the 12 if you are planning on travelling the whole country and want to score more sessions in other places.

Frozenfox
Rare Poster

Postby Frozenfox » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Strekke wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:10 am
I did a road trip in April 2013 from HCMC up to Hong Kong, was pretty sweet. Great food, parties, and everything cheap. Spent 12 days in Mui Ne and was out almost every day - beginning of the day 12m, afternoon 9m. 2 days with winds too strong for my 9. This was in april, end of the season, so it does probably blow harder in peak season so then you probably won't need the 12 (?). Travelled further up north and also had a few sessions in Nha Thrang on my 12m. Mui Ne is windy but choppy with heavy shorebreak at times, and crowded. Rent a scooter and go check out nearby beaches if possible. Bring the 12 if you are planning on travelling the whole country and want to score more sessions in other places.
Thank you that’s a huge help, I have plenty of time there so I’ll be scouring the coast for kitable spots.

Kaje313
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Seoul han river and vietnam phanrang myhoa
Favorite Beaches: Vietnam phanrang myhoa
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabribha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kaje313 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:47 am

I would recommend stay in phanrang. There has a awesome lagoon which is "My hoa" and also has several shop(phanrang kite center and others).
Water is so flat and 8 / 10 / 12 meter kite is enough(I'm 178 and 84 kg).

Frozenfox
Rare Poster

Postby Frozenfox » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:39 pm

Kaje313 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:47 am
I would recommend stay in phanrang. There has a awesome lagoon which is "My hoa" and also has several shop(phanrang kite center and others).
Water is so flat and 8 / 10 / 12 meter kite is enough(I'm 178 and 84 kg).
Good to hear, thanks, I’ll definitely be checking out Phan rang, apart from the lagoon are there any other spots you would recommend?

Return to “Kitesurfing”