Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Shinnster thoughts

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Shinnster thoughts

Postby matth » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:11 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:03 am
matth wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:06 pm
I am looking for a fun board to ride in light wind, small surf, and help with strapless footwork. I have read that the shinnster is great in those conditions but conflicting opinions on how good it is for learning strapless footwork. I'm looking at the new 2018 with deckpad and 80mm fins..
How much do you weigh?

185LBS

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:32 am

matth wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:11 am
bigtone667 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:03 am
matth wrote:
I am looking for a fun board to ride in light wind, small surf, and help with strapless footwork. I have read that the shinnster is great in those conditions but conflicting opinions on how good it is for learning strapless footwork. I'm looking at the new 2018 with deckpad and 80mm fins..
How much do you weigh?

185LBS
It should work fine as lightish wind board for your weight. It will not work as well as a Door (no rocker!!!!) but you will be able surf it with the 80mm fins and have a heap of fun. 50cm fins make it a bit skatey.

I am 100kg and won't use it until I have a decent wind.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:23 am

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the Shinnster works as advertised and the feedback is almost all positive..

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:36 pm

I was able to get some quality time on my Shinnster on a few down-winders at OBX last week. What a great board, planes up fast, super stable, goes up wind like a bitch, super smooth in the chop. and easy to practice foot work... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Postby richy-c » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:08 pm

matth wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:17 pm
Ianw wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:18 pm
matth wrote:
I had the original Shinnster (waxed the deck) and now the latest Shinnster Encore with the factory pad and 53 mm fins. I use it as my light wind board with TT for mod to high wind. I've had it since August the big differences V the original it's gripper in the tail and goes upwind better due the tail config. (see Shinn web site) the pad is non slip and is angled on the sides so you can jam your heel against the edge it also makes a great handle for carrying. I kite in shallow water at low tide so happy to have the small fins. I would recommend paying the extra and getting the factory pad. I've had some great sessions on the board, no worries about dings, it's improved my strapless skills, it's a lot of fun.

How would you rate the low end?? about the same as a door??
I have shinnster 2015 model and a spleene door 159 The Shinnster for me goes nowhere near as early as the Door. The door just flys in comparison.

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:00 am

richy-c wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:08 pm
matth wrote:
Ianw wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:18 pm

I had the original Shinnster (waxed the deck) and now the latest Shinnster Encore with the factory pad and 53 mm fins. I use it as my light wind board with TT for mod to high wind. I've had it since August the big differences V the original it's gripper in the tail and goes upwind better due the tail config. (see Shinn web site) the pad is non slip and is angled on the sides so you can jam your heel against the edge it also makes a great handle for carrying. I kite in shallow water at low tide so happy to have the small fins. I would recommend paying the extra and getting the factory pad. I've had some great sessions on the board, no worries about dings, it's improved my strapless skills, it's a lot of fun.

I have shinnster 2015 model and a spleene door 159 The Shinnster for me goes nowhere near as early as the Door. The door just flys in comparison.

True but I have lost my desire to ride a door...the shinnster is about strapless, stress free riding.....love it!!

richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Postby richy-c » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:37 pm

matth wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:00 am
richy-c wrote:
matth wrote:

True but I have lost my desire to ride a door...the shinnster is about strapless, stress free riding.....love it!!
Yes but you say you are looking to ride in light wind and by comparison the shinnster doesn't go well in light wind. I have a North nugget which goes better and easier to learn jibes etc.

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:12 pm

richy-c wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:37 pm
matth wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:00 am
richy-c wrote:

Yes but you say you are looking to ride in light wind and by comparison the shinnster doesn't go well in light wind. I have a North nugget which goes better and easier to learn jibes etc.
Not by much...and personally I find the Shinnster has a much smother pleasant ride than a high volume surfboard..

ronik
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 154lbs/70kg
Local Beach: Sobieszewo, Gdansk-Stogi, Rewa, Hel Peninsula, Poland
Favorite Beaches: Gdansk Gulf, Poland
Style: wave/freeride
Gear: Duotone SLS Neo various / Shinn Ronson, Shinnster, Superking

Postby ronik » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:54 am

I love Shinnster but experience a problem with low wind starts when there are still waves. Board is just escaping and have to take a DOOR :(

Return to “Kitesurfing”