Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Choosing size on a wave board, please help

Postby Matteo V » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:00 am

Slappysan wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:33 pm
To be honest all the f-one boards are a little too thin for real world conditions but if I had to choose one the Slice would be it.
Slappy is the best poster in opposition to my position on "volume being bad" for kitesurfboards. And not only is he honest with his vids, he is also riding a foamie. That is dedication. Check out some of his other vids as I think he has a good one on stopping on a high volume board and actually using the displacement to keep him up.

Slappysan wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:33 pm
Also riding real waves often means the need to wear a surf leash, there is no other board that will make you feel as safe with a leash on.
Wear a helmet if you are going to leash. And if your board is a "brick" like mine, you may not want to use a leash. And even if you have a light weight board, make sure your fin trailing edge is sanded so it is not sharp. Worst thing a kook can do is chum the water for white sharks right in front of you.

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:48 pm

Matteo, Or6 jonysan Slappysan thank you!

I have gone for the F-One Signature!

for the 1,5mt high and pretty long wave(with no curl) that comes in north Sardinia I have preferred a wave board with not too much volume, I understand too that with small wave with lot of white water and foam probably much volume and shorter board would be better, but in that case I would use one of my 2 TT

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:05 pm

jonysan wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:37 pm
Hi Archer,
I think it will be a good purchase, I am 75K, and slightly shorter than you, and ride a 5'8 F One Mitu, sometimes I wonder if I should have bought the 5'6, would it have made any difference to my riding? I doubt it, for your weight and height I think the 5'8 Signature will be perfect, it has slightly less volume than the Mitu, but will be a very responsive carvey board. I've attached a link to Christophe's videos, he's riding a Mitu in a few of the instruction videos, but the more recent ones are on a Signature, which he raves about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA9J-oyLfP8k
Jonysan please, at what twin tip size you would compare the upwind performance of the Mitu 5'8 ?
just to have an idea of what I can expect

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jonysan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:22 pm

Hi Archer,
Two weeks ago I rode a TT, for the first time in possibly ten years ! So my opinion is very personal, but here goes.
I remember riding TT's and edging hard with the kite quite forward in the wind window, and doing this I got upwind reasonably well, but my aim at that time riding a TT wasn't to get outside the Break to hunt down another good wave. but just to tack back upwind after jumps, playing, practicing.
I find Surfboards a total different story, usually they point quite high, and go up wind well. the best one I had (I still own it) is a 5'4 Quad fin, fairly narrow, slightly heavy, dart !! it goes up wind like it's on rails, using a combination of keeping a good length of rail engaged and two of the back fins engaged, so basically using the rail and fins, ( forget that "riding it off the fins" rubbish !) keep the nose down, so you engage more rail.
The Mitu 5'8 is obviously a thruster three fin set up, not theoretically as good upwind as a quad, but has fairly straight rails in the mid section, and at 5'8, it's rail length helps. I never have any problem getting upwind quickly with the Mitu,
I often see TT riders in the waves at some beaches, so they obviously get out there. but I think the surfboard gets there quicker.
Hope that helps.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:24 pm

I just realised you wanted to know what "size" TT would compare upwind.
I have no idea! I'm guessing a long one, with big fins.

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr_daruman » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:48 pm

My school of thought...I only ride strapless.
We ride powered kites, then the wave. So unless you want to do light winds, get the lowest volume surf board you can. These will almost always feel better. For my 65kg and in 20 knots anything above 5`2 20 L feels huge in any waves.
Watch out for thickness, many kite surf board makers make their boards way way too thin in my opinion (under 2 inch). Thats alright if its super flat, or beautifull peeling waves low power and under 8 feet waves, but in real world conditions the ride will be super harsh and bumpy, the edge will catch in heavy whitewater etc...

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:08 am

i wouldnt sweat it too much, 20 l boards are for 10 year old 28kg groms in surfing doing air reverses.

if you ride fat mush waves more width ( middle and tail) and volume make a bit of difference to get you through sections, we do have the kite to pull us too though...

if its super windy smaller volume lets you sink the rail/ tail deeper to slow dowm so you dont outrun the peak, same if you are riding heavier waves

its really quite complex what with all the wind directions and swell types hence why some gave so mamy boards

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:19 am

jonysan wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:24 pm
I just realised you wanted to know what "size" TT would compare upwind.
I have no idea! I'm guessing a long one, with big fins.
it's ok, thank you jonysan, I was trying to get an idea

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:22 am

thank you too mr daruman and longwhitecloud, I understand that there are many variables, always good to have many point of view

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Archer77 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:34 pm
Hi All!
I have found a good bargain on a 5'8 wave board

exactly this https://www.f-one.world/product/kite/bo ... ture-flex/ at 550 euro fins included
5’8 174 x 46 cm 5’8 x 18.1″ 21 liters 3,42Kg

I'm 77kg for 177cm tall, I'm between beginner and intermediate on twintip but never tryed a wave board...

I have a 9 and 7m Ozone Catalyst V1 that I think could work on some Onshore long waves that are usual in north Sardinia

thank you!
Archer
As a beginner/intermediate TT rider, you will be a beginner again on a surf board as you don't know how to gybe, to carve, ... and don't know what your style preference will be (strapless vs strapped? waves? strapless airs?) and how you can ride in your local conditions. The easiest to start with is higher volume which is more forgiving for bad footwork as you learn gybes. The board above is best for an advanced slightly lighter rider than you riding in side/side-off head-high+ waves with reasonable wind strength. You can probably find something cheaper and better for you, but any random board will help you get some skills and learn your preferences. Then you'll eventually buy a 2nd board and either keep or trade your first board.

Return to “Kitesurfing”