Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Broken control bar

Postby Matteo V » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:03 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:54 am
is that for real... they sold uneven line sets.. didnt bother to make up with bridles/ leaders lines as most companies do, i guess it is possible, but f$&ing wierd!
I don't think that equal lengths for lines was standardized across the kiteboarding industry until some where around 2012-2013. Maybe some holdouts until 2014.

That said, having a .5m to 2m difference at least let you know something was different back then. Now a days, we all have to look up whether the lines should be equal at full depower, or equal at full power. That seems to be getting standardized now.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:33 am

Personally I would always favour new/newer equipment, in it's complete original form to answer your question directly and would recommend this.
However, if for some reason a person wanted to change out the 'bar' element of the complete set up, this could be possible and would probably need an experienced person who knew what they were doing to do this.
Changing the bar could be for all manner of reasons under the 'feel' description.

I think your point would have been better made if you had stuck to and voiced your opinion about the risks of older equipment and the possible problems when substituting parts within a bar/lines setup, rather than ranting on about the 'bar.'

Matteo, I think we know you have best intentions, but think before you start pounding that keyboard, especially with the CAPS on! (At least you keep off the emojs, so we should be grateful for small mercies).

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:58 pm
badgb21 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:29 pm
I think you lit your fuse a bit too early.
Read his whole paragraph before ranting;

Let me try to clear it for you: the bar is just that. The bar. Nothing wrong with my 2005 Cab bar.
The bits and pieces with the bar tho makes a control bar, and than you do this:

So would you give the recommendation to a beginner (like the OP) to get some old gear (bars) and piece that old gear together? Or do you agree with my point about not mixing up stuff at this stage in a kitesurfers experience?
Last edited by badgb21 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby merl » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:46 pm

For the record, the kite pictured requires the ozone active 5 line setup. The kite is actually decent (looks like the instinct light) but the bar setup not so much. On this bar, relative to the main lines: 5th line is 1m shorter, and the rear lines 5cm shorter.

To convert a standard 5 line bar (all lines equal): add 100cm pigtails to the main lines and 95cm pigtails to the back (outer, steering) lines.

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best

Postby slim_charles » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:34 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:39 am
But thanks for taking my statement completely out of context.
So why the red text and capitals then? Seemed like a statement too me. So much of your condesending ramblings are just opinions dressed up as truths.
Matteo V wrote: However, for you to post your comment, you must have had some experience with 4-line C-kites back in the day. Could you tell us about that???
Back in the day yes, last week also. Err it was fine thanks, bit gusty...

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:57 am

slim_charles wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:34 pm
So why the red text and capitals then? Seemed like a statement too me.
Red capitals for emphasis on the importance of the idea. And you are correct that it was a statement. Though it was qualified by the following statement (sentence) you conveniently left off of your quote of my post.

slim_charles wrote:
So much of your condesending ramblings are just opinions dressed up as truths.
So....... then your job is to provide some evidence of a dissenting opinion. And that you could easily do at least to some degree. As I have stated, a beginner can learn on the same gear that beginners did back in 2003 or so. But the increased danger and difficulty on old style gear is indisputable. Can you call that last underlined statement just an opinion? Or is it a truth? I am seriously asking you that. Give it a shot to answer that one either way, and others watching this thread will understand who is actually being disingenuous.

slim_charles
Frequent Poster
Gear: The best

Postby slim_charles » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:11 am

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:57 am
slim_charles wrote:
Red capitals for emphasis on the importance of the idea. And you are correct that it was a statement. Though it was qualified by the following statement (sentence) you conveniently left off of your quote of my post.
C4, Fuel... 4 line only up until fairly recently (Fuel still 4 line optional i think), relaunch fine. Two off the top of my head that unqualify your statement, maybe more.

Not sure what your on about in the second part, i wouldn't dispute that and unsure as too what made you think i would.

Slimey lol... i like it, not as harsh as Downsy that's for sure :lol:

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:44 am

slim_charles wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:11 am
Matteo V wrote:
slim_charles wrote:
C4, Fuel... 4 line only up until fairly recently (Fuel still 4 line optional i think), relaunch fine. Two off the top of my head that unqualify your statement, maybe more.

Not sure what your on about in the second part, i wouldn't dispute that and unsure as too what made you think i would.

Slimey lol... i like it, not as harsh as Downsy that's for sure :lol:
Glad you like it, as far as the last line of your response. As to:
slim_charles wrote:
Not sure what your on about in the second part, i wouldn't dispute that
Matteo V wrote:

the increased danger and difficulty on old style gear is indisputable[/u].
and unsure as too what made you think i would.
I take that as an agreement that a beginner should not be on a C-kite with 4 lines. Nor is it a good way to start off the sport with even a 5line C-kite, new or old. Am I putting words in your mouth? Or is that an accurate assessment which indicates complete agreement with me?

For the first part of your response:
slim_charles wrote:
When you say "relaunch fine" are you implying that there is no additional hassle with relaunching a C-kite on 4 lines? And thus there are no relaunching issues with giving a beginner a C-kite? If so, you would definitely 'unqualify' My statement. Or rather, is a Fuel as easy to relaunch as a Rally or RPM?

To me, the first part of your post seems contradictory to the second part.

If this is getting a little messy and complicated for you, then you could just respond to the simple question:

Do you, slim_charles, think the OP will have the same safe and enjoyable experience learning on the kite he has mentioned (as others pointed out the model) he has, as he would on a modern SLE kite geared toward beginners?

Return to “Kitesurfing”