Inverted Kite

Forum for kitesurfers
gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Inverted Kite

Postby gator1 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:46 am

Is there any on water fix for a kite that has inverted on itself and flying?

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Re: Inverted Kite

Postby Macster » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:58 am

Yep but its risky... you have to lay the kite on the edge of the wind window. Unhook from your harness. Detach the safety leash and then feed the whole lower section of the bar through the centre line V whilst not letting go of your kite.

I've done it many times successfully in light wind but stuffed it up twice in high wind and will not try it again if it's too windy.

Also this only works on 4 line bars, not 5.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:14 pm

^
Not inverted bar mate...

OP, no. Fly back to shore asap is the best unless you are in knee deep water.

Inversion is a kite model specific, some invert some don’t.

D.

CCollins
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alcudia, Es trenc, Deltebro
Favorite Beaches: Sal, Peniche, Obidos, IJmuiden
Style: Mostly waves
Gear: Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, North
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby CCollins » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:56 pm

Sometimes if you swim towards the kite in the water, slacking your lines ( super careful to not get tangled in them ) the kite can flip back around, or flip around again. This way you can get it back up and get to shore even if the lines are twisted. There is a video or two out there on relaunching kites that shows this, somewhere on YouTube.
Try not to fly the kite inverted, the lines will chafe through your bladder in short order.
A lot of the time it's probably better to punch out (actually that often lets the kite un-invert as well), but depends on the situation. If it's light it's often worth trying to get the lines slack and getting it to flip, if you're in bigger waves with the inverted kite it's a judgement call...

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:26 pm

I just punch out because more often than not pissing around hoping the kite will right itself makes things worse possibly ending up with a death loop. Rallys would sometimes invert but so far never Enduros ...

gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard

Postby gator1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:32 am

Regarding punching out. do you mean pulling your safety then letting the kite rotate around, then resetting the safety and trying to relaunch again?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:40 am

A classic problem - not the inversion but what we are talking about :wink:

An inverted kite is a kite that has turned inside out, flying with the bottom side up.

A tumbled or rolled kite, or "line inversion", is a kite that flies normally but the front and rear lines are twisted/crossed.

In below thread, as well as every other thread I've seen about this, including this current thread, there are confusion and people answer on two very different things:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2400257

If it is just a line inversion, my answer would be NO, get ashore and get it sorted.
You can ride just fine with lines inverted, it just looks wrong which mentally gets one to dislike it... Wear on lines are slightly higher though, but no big deal.
Of course it CAN be untwisted on the water with the kite down, but it is difficult, it is risky for you and others, and you might as well get a LOT more unequal line twists this way, as it is quite difficult to get it correctly through the "V" - and if a high V it can be a life threatening risk as you can get line tangles on yourself quite easy :o

If it is an inverted kite, usually happens if underinflated or extremely powered while flying kite depowered, fly it down in the water and see if it rightens itself now.
Maybe you need to pull a rearline to get itself to flag to normal outside out.

8) Peter

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:59 am

gator1 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:32 am
Regarding punching out. do you mean pulling your safety then letting the kite rotate around, then resetting the safety and trying to relaunch again?
When the kite is inside out going to safety puts the kite on its side so there's a chance of it righting itself.

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:13 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:40 am
A classic problem - not the inversion but what we are talking about :wink:

An inverted kite is a kite that has turned inside out, flying with the bottom side up.

A tumbled or rolled kite, or "line inversion", is a kite that flies normally but the front and rear lines are twisted/crossed.

In below thread, as well as every other thread I've seen about this, including this current thread, there are confusion and people answer on two very different things:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2400257

If it is just a line inversion, my answer would be NO, get ashore and get it sorted.
You can ride just fine with lines inverted, it just looks wrong which mentally gets one to dislike it... Wear on lines are slightly higher though, but no big deal.
Of course it CAN be untwisted on the water with the kite down, but it is difficult, it is risky for you and others, and you might as well get a LOT more unequal line twists this way, as it is quite difficult to get it correctly through the "V" - and if a high V it can be a life threatening risk as you can get line tangles on yourself quite easy :o

If it is an inverted kite, usually happens if underinflated or extremely powered while flying kite depowered, fly it down in the water and see if it rightens itself now.
Maybe you need to pull a rearline to get itself to flag to normal outside out.

8) Peter
Exactly! Two different things

It happened to me, kite inversion, because launching my kite fully fully depowered on wind conditions above my kite size. Maybe on the gust. Kite flying with the bottom up , no control until crashed in the water and reinverted to normal. After that trimmed the kite with more power and had a normal session. So never launch the kite fully depowered again!!

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:13 pm

I have this happen once in a while and usually when i am waaay out...it looks so easy to fix from the pov at the bar 20m away. If someone was at the kite. You could tell them how to invert the kite again to uncross the lines but when is there ever anyone there to help like this.

I just make my way back to shore, lay out the lines correctly and enjoy the rest of the day....you can fly back to shore with. Rossed lines.....but only to get back to fix it on shore....

Return to “Kitesurfing”