Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GoPro Fusion 360 on kite lines?

Forum for kitesurfers
norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

GoPro Fusion 360 on kite lines?

Postby norcom » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:53 pm

Has anyone seen/tried mouting a GoPro Fusion 360 degree camera on kite lines? Any links to a video? I've seen a video of a Garmin Virb 360 from a line mount perspective posted around here. Seemed cool and the horizon level worked nicely. Just wondering why there hasn't been more Fusion videos. Most of the youtube Fusion kite videos are with a selfie stick.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: GoPro Fusion 360 on kite lines?

Postby joriws » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:47 pm

I was the one posting quick snowkite-video from Finland. We don't have fusion so no example on it on lines. Fusion-kite videos I've seen are stick or board mount.

Here is another video from Finland, Rylo 360 is the camera. I cannot tell aboutt edit process how it works.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:40 pm

Thanks for the Rylo video, looks cool! Not worried about the editing, I know how to do all that.

My primary worry with the Fusion is the view mounting. I'd like to mount the Fusion flat between the lines, so I could loop and not worry about tangling. But that would put the cameras perspective of the rider centered between two lenses. Mounting it 90 degrees with the lines would put me into the perspective on one side/lens but the camera would stick out and give to tangling. Even though the stitching is pretty good between the lenses, a lot of the Fusion videos recorded outdoors I noticed different lens sides tend to color correct differently based on the lighting (sunlight) on each lens.

ljerome
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: the Nature Trail, Lake Saint Claire, Michigan, USA
Style: OldSchool
Been thanked: 0

Postby ljerome » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:30 am

Hi,

I am currently developping a 3D Printed support for the Gopro Fusion in the line.
You can see the attached pictures.
I prefered to have the camera facing the kitesurfer. To prevent tangling the mounting is very compact, no trap for the lines.
The design is based on the one I used for the Skyteline. On one side, I use the green rubber pieces to block the line and on the other side, the line can move so that the safety line is still working.

regards

IMG_3772.jpg
IMG_3771.jpg

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:04 pm

norcom wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:40 pm
Thanks for the Rylo video, looks cool! Not worried about the editing, I know how to do all that.
I was more thinking on my quick command about editing process that how Rylo dampens camera movement. On example video we can see that image is fairly stable similar to earlier Virb360. So editing question was more that how automatic it is on edit-process. I doubt the rider/editor did it by hand. On water/waves I see artefacts from this process but it does not matter much..

--

Fusion camera-mount, looks nice although I'd be a bit worried about mounting screw and "missing" white plastic between gopro-mount. I think it would add strength to system so that tightening the screw would do "compact pack" pressed together instead now allowing bending of 3d printed plastic if fusion camera mount bends a bit. Maybe I am over engineering but that I would do.

Bill C
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill C » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:29 pm

Consider one of these. Buy it and you are done unless you like tinkering with linemounts. Fusion starts at 15 seconds.

https://youtu.be/0Tqcp5gw-Uc

ljerome
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: the Nature Trail, Lake Saint Claire, Michigan, USA
Style: OldSchool
Been thanked: 0

Postby ljerome » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:30 pm

I left the opening in the middle of the gopro mount to attach easily a leash between the camera and a line.
The Fusion is tightly adjusted to the mount and the whole has a good stifness. The screw is just there to lock it in position but not forces on it.

ouno
Rare Poster
Gear: Neo / Pro Whip / Wam

Postby ouno » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:26 pm

norcom:
Here is a video of someone using a gopro fusion with linemount: https://youtu.be/hCT5Fa0cMkk?t=192
(he also posted videos with the gopro fusion mounted on the kite)

360-cameras are known to capture less details in the stitching zone, so your idea of having the rider centered between the 2 lenses isn't good imo...

Also I have the feeling the gopro fusion is a bit heavy to be mounted on the lines, but it would be interesting to have the opinion of someone who tried it (in various conditions...)
The Insta360 One X might be easier to use in the lines for this reason.

ljerome:
Nice work, the design seems very good!
- avoid tangled lines.....check!
- center camera body (and maybe center of gravity?) to minimize inertia during rotations and shakes.....check!
- lens slightly shifted from lines plane to avoid Y in front of the subject.....check!

Do you have some videos taken with this system?

Zen_Rider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Tenby, Freshwater West & Newgale
Style: Big air, Freestyle, Wave
Gear: DT Dice 7 / 9 / 11
CF Raptor Extreme
DT Whip 5"2

Postby Zen_Rider » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:10 pm

I work for a company that makes commercial 360 videos. We use the fusion allot for small drone shots. Haven't yet persuaded anybody to loan one to me to go kiting with yet as there always hired. But I've been really impressed with how well the Fusion software stitches and stabilizes the footage. It nailed shots with 25kt winds and a crazy pilot.

Definitely better to have your main subject centered on a lens, imagine that should be you and you and your kite...

I wanna try some kite 360 in a headset, using the overcapture to make standard format is fun, but if it were done well, it would be great as a headset experience. Guess I just have to save up for a fusion and get it done...

norcom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby norcom » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:15 pm

ouno wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:26 pm
norcom:
Here is a video of someone using a gopro fusion with linemount: https://youtu.be/hCT5Fa0cMkk?t=192
(he also posted videos with the gopro fusion mounted on the kite)

360-cameras are known to capture less details in the stitching zone, so your idea of having the rider centered between the 2 lenses isn't good imo...

Also I have the feeling the gopro fusion is a bit heavy to be mounted on the lines, but it would be interesting to have the opinion of someone who tried it (in various conditions...)
The Insta360 One X might be easier to use in the lines for this reason.

Thanks! It looks like the kiter in the video has a high V mount, would love to see something with a closer rider view on low-v, preferably in waves. But I like the perspective and the mount/lines didn't seem to interfere with the image as much as I thought they would. The horizon stabilzation seems to work pretty well too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”